Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seam Filler Cracks - Rear lift gate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I did some searching around and found some miscellaneous posts touching on this issue but none for the MY specifically. So - figured I would make my own post.

Picked up my MYP in June. Didnt notice any issues on delivery inspection. However, when it was being ceramic coated, the detailer pointed out 2 seam filler cracks on the rear lift gate. The cracks are on both sides near the tail lights where the overhang lift handle/plate area meet. See pictures below.

Contacted service and they stated it is cosmetic only. However, they would fix it if I wanted through the body shop.

At this time, I’ve opted not to fix the issue as I’ve had bad experiences when paint work happens. And if the issue is cosmetic only, I’d rather not have someone taking the car apart for something you can’t even see unless you squat down and look for it.

Just sharing so there’s a MY specific thread out there.

Attachments

• 64040EFF-923F-4C6F-A13C-E8EE6596CE6D.jpeg
    64040EFF-923F-4C6F-A13C-E8EE6596CE6D.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 91296280-F921-49E0-B6F2-FE24B6A75F4F.jpeg
    91296280-F921-49E0-B6F2-FE24B6A75F4F.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 703456EC-51A1-423C-B153-70F7B9AE9D83.jpeg
    703456EC-51A1-423C-B153-70F7B9AE9D83.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 154
Hi everyone! I did some searching around and found some miscellaneous posts touching on this issue but none for the MY specifically. So - figured I would make my own post.

Picked up my MYP in June. Didnt notice any issues on delivery inspection. However, when it was being ceramic coated, the detailer pointed out 2 seam filler cracks on the rear lift gate. The cracks are on both sides near the tail lights where the overhang lift handle/plate area meet. See pictures below.

Contacted service and they stated it is cosmetic only. However, they would fix it if I wanted through the body shop.

At this time, I’ve opted not to fix the issue as I’ve had bad experiences when paint work happens. And if the issue is cosmetic only, I’d rather not have someone taking the car apart for something you can’t even see unless you squat down and look for it.

Just sharing so there’s a MY specific thread out there.
1. I consider that unacceptable.
2. Get quotes from multiple body shops and see how they would approach it. Potentially you will find a shop that proposes a way to fix it that you find acceptable (doesn't require full repaint and blend).
3. Approach Tesla and tell them you want body shop 'x' to fix it due to how they will do it.
4. If Tesla does not accept then talk to their approved body shop and see if they can do the fix in a way that is acceptable.
5. If Tesla won't accommodate you then enter into dispute resolution. If another buyer down the road notices this issue or it worsens over time it absolutely will affect the residual value of your very large purchase.