Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seamless NoA on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used it this week-end driving back into Toronto. Overall it was great. One issue was that on one occasion, it slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason. My suspicion is that the car in the lane next to me may have gone marginally over the line.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Did you notice anything different from 8.5? I assume no Enhanced Summon.

Nothing new, bug fixes most likely. Next hop should be 2019.9 or 12 (depending on how far we get on regulations).

upload_2019-4-8_16-24-54.png

This so called seamless NOA is not that seamless as I needed to nudge my steering wheel prior to making a lane change. Every time I did that I turned too hard and disengaged AP... I would be nice if Tesla can make it (sorta) LV 3 on highway so that no input is needed.

This so called seamless NOA is not that seamless as I needed to nudge my steering wheel prior to making a lane change. Every time I did that I turned too hard and disengaged AP... I would be nice if Tesla can make it (sorta) LV 3 on highway so that no input is needed.
Yeah they did that on purpose so you're paying attention while it's doing the lane change. This is the first iteration of no confirmation lane change for public use with the car facing use cases that they haven't tested for. It's nature of releasing a new feature. It would be foolish to not force the driver to pay attention. Each version would probably require you to pay less attention (making sure it's still legal of course).

Nudging the wheel too hard though is primarily you haha.

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC
Good thing this thread is here. I was the asshole on the 403 yesterday with the blinker on and the car not changing lanes, and swearing at NOA. I'll give it another shot today and try nudging the steering wheel. :)

Thanks all!

Yeah it's very tricky. I'm thinking about turning the confirmation back on - a quick push on the stalk when it prompts is simpler than trying to figure out when and how much to nudge the steering wheel when you often don't have much time. I've tried holding the wheel gently all the time but even that doesn't seem to be enough for confirmation in most cases. I found the lane change in general is way better this version but without me being able to confirm quickly enough at times it's nowhere near as smooth as a human driver and definitely will lead to some road confusion, especially in busy traffic.

Has anyone else figured out a reliable way to do the confirms?

Yeah it's very tricky. I'm thinking about turning the confirmation back on - a quick push on the stalk when it prompts is simpler than trying to figure out when and how much to nudge the steering wheel when you often don't have much time. I've tried holding the wheel gently all the time but even that doesn't seem to be enough for confirmation in most cases. I found the lane change in general is way better this version but without me being able to confirm quickly enough at times it's nowhere near as smooth as a human driver and definitely will lead to some road confusion, especially in busy traffic.

Has anyone else figured out a reliable way to do the confirms?

Never tested 2019.8.5 since I got it at night and the next morning I had 2019.12 but I haven't noticed this "problem" so I am not sure if they made it easier in this version or I just have the "magic touch". (which is doubtful)