TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Search for the Super Battery" on PBS NOVA this week

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by BluestarE3, Jan 31, 2017.

1. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Search for the Super Battery — NOVA | PBS

Program description:

• Informative x 6
  2. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Excellent... DVR set. Thanks for the heads-up @BluestarE3

4. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

Good show that illustrated in a consumer friendly way where we are with battery tech, and where battery technology is taking us.

For those who missed it, NOVA covered an important development at ionic Materials
    Ionic Materials | Home
    Which replaces current flammable battery electrolyte with a novel solid polymer.

"Current batteries are low energy, unsafe, and expensive. Liquid electrolytes are holding them back.
    Ionic Materials’ novel Polymer is the world’s first polymer with all of the necessary properties to replace liquid electrolytes."

The section w/ Mike Zimmerman is at about 34 minutes in.
    If this tech holds up, predictions are of a doubling of current capacity and stable durability. Which could be ideal for automotive use.

The entire video will go live soon. Check the link from the OP.

• Informative x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Great show, especially the development of solid state Li-io batteries was very interesting. Also the cheape alternatives for grid storage using ordinary salts.

6. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That was a good show. I certainly learned a few things about what may be coming down the road. The design with the plastic electrolyte could be an enormous game-changer.

Pogue is a pretty good presenter, even if he gets in the way of the information from time to time by taking the clown act too far. As long as he's getting folks to pay attention without blowing too much smoke, though, I'll take him.

7. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Very well done. I also liked the Mike Zimmerman segment mentioned above by @TechVP. If this can be scaled to large volume production, it's a game changer.

8. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

My main takeaways from the program are that:
    • "battery" has a much broader definition than what most people associate with that term,
    • energy storage is as important to the grid as energy generation
    • and there isn't a single type of "super battery" that will optimally address the entire range of energy storage needs
    I agree with everyone above that the Zimmerman segment on the solid state battery is exciting stuff. I'm also glad he cautioned that it will require years of additional R&D before it leaves the lab and becomes commercially viable.

• Informative x 1
  9. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Exactly... that's why I kinda do an eye-roll every-time someone tries pull to the 'sufficient grid storage is impossible' card. So...so... so many ways to store energy. It's gonna be interesting to see which ones scale up.

• Like x 1