Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Search is useless, need cleaning stuff where is best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washmit thing, cleaning products etc, recommendations and where to buy?
Not used any foaming no touch ones etc so would be keen on those.

Also any diy ceramic coating recs?
i have car foam wash kit with water blaster but only used once... too much work and too much to clean around afterwards. not worth it when same can be done for around $20 at no-touch car wash.
I always use no touch car wash... perfect for car, never found any scratches... trick is when entering go as slow as you could to position more time under wheel areas - as they have undercar/wheel arch washers at entrance.

If using works, their bug-protection helps to make sure no insects are sticking for long time.... insects sticking creates acidic reactions similar to bird *sugar*.

Check out Chem Guys - they are based in Christchurch.

Have a look through their pages for products, tutorials and guides

Check out Chem Guys - they are based in Christchurch.

Have a look through their pages for products, tutorials and guides
eh that all seems a bit hipster tbh! too many options

I'm sure that this is one of those subjects that everyone has their ideas and opinions on... But I'll chime in since I accidentally went a fair ways down the detailing rabbit-hole a while ago :)

Detail Depot and United Car Care are both pretty good places generally. Carpro (detail depot) is very good stuff, I use Reset (shampoo), Lift (snow foam), Retyre (tyre cleaner) and PERL (water based SIO2 dressing, diluted for various purposes. I like it 1:1 for low-profile tyres).
Chemical guys have a couple of good products but mostly a bit of a marketing company IMO.
United Car Care carries Fireball, it's ok but sometimes a little expensive and a step down from Carpro. They also carry a good deionising water filter (I used to have a black Audi RS3 that lived outside. It was so nice to be able to wash the thing even in the sun and not have to worry about water spots! Big difference to the glass too - I use deionised water for the windscreen washer too so no water etching in the glass).

For good microfiber towels I like The Rag Company; Amazon is your best bet for those. Carpro MFX for washing the towels / mits.

Foam cannon: MJJC foam cannon is oft re-badged at much higher price points. Currently have that and PA Italy one, the MJJC is my personal fav at the moment.
Carpro Lift is a good snow foam at an ok cost with reasonable efficacy, but if it's only light dust say on the car I'll use Carpro Reset which is an excellent shampoo and okay for the foam cannon if road film isn't too heavy.
(Minor point on snow foam: There are many out there that might produce lots of foam but don't actually work all that well).

Meguiars detailer line is also worth considering and generally good value too, Spraystore carry it but I see even Repco has some of their stuff these days.
Their D149 Quik Interior Detailer might be old but is still my favourite for maintenance interior cleaning (I even use this stuff on the TV and computer monitors at home). Their APC and degreaser are quite versatile as well, and if you're detailing a european performance car with dusty breaks you'll grow to love D140 Wheel Brightener. Not that you're likely to need that with the Tesla...

I’m pretty fussy about the maintenance of my car and I have used many car care products. I have found Autoglym products to work well, smell nice and are not caustic.
Supercheap Auto stock them in NZ.

I'm sure that this is one of those subjects that everyone has their ideas and opinions on... But I'll chime in since I accidentally went a fair ways down the detailing rabbit-hole a while ago :)

Detail Depot and United Car Care are both pretty good places generally. Carpro (detail depot) is very good stuff, I use Reset (shampoo), Lift (snow foam), Retyre (tyre cleaner) and PERL (water based SIO2 dressing, diluted for various purposes. I like it 1:1 for low-profile tyres).
Chemical guys have a couple of good products but mostly a bit of a marketing company IMO.
United Car Care carries Fireball, it's ok but sometimes a little expensive and a step down from Carpro. They also carry a good deionising water filter (I used to have a black Audi RS3 that lived outside. It was so nice to be able to wash the thing even in the sun and not have to worry about water spots! Big difference to the glass too - I use deionised water for the windscreen washer too so no water etching in the glass).

For good microfiber towels I like The Rag Company; Amazon is your best bet for those. Carpro MFX for washing the towels / mits.

Foam cannon: MJJC foam cannon is oft re-badged at much higher price points. Currently have that and PA Italy one, the MJJC is my personal fav at the moment.
Carpro Lift is a good snow foam at an ok cost with reasonable efficacy, but if it's only light dust say on the car I'll use Carpro Reset which is an excellent shampoo and okay for the foam cannon if road film isn't too heavy.
(Minor point on snow foam: There are many out there that might produce lots of foam but don't actually work all that well).

Meguiars detailer line is also worth considering and generally good value too, Spraystore carry it but I see even Repco has some of their stuff these days.
Their D149 Quik Interior Detailer might be old but is still my favourite for maintenance interior cleaning (I even use this stuff on the TV and computer monitors at home). Their APC and degreaser are quite versatile as well, and if you're detailing a european performance car with dusty breaks you'll grow to love D140 Wheel Brightener. Not that you're likely to need that with the Tesla...
Hope your kids or niece/nephew not reading this post.... they will hold you forever for your level of attention to cleaning car and blackmail to get their way around - lol. Respect for loving car and spending precious time behind it.

You got class and patience to clean... I am lazy as and mostly end up with drive thru touchless in-between visit to detailing guys for inside out cleaning touch-up as cut a deal for 4 year car maintenance when wrapping brand new car.

I found these guys are good at spoiling someone who loves their Tesla... I recently bought plenty stuff from them.

Last edited:
Hope your kids or niece/nephew not reading this post.... they will hold you forever for your level of attention to cleaning car and blackmail to get their way around - lol. Respect for loving car and spending precious time behind it.

You got class and patience to clean... I am lazy as and mostly end up with drive thru touchless in-between visit to detailing guys for inside out cleaning touch-up as cut a deal for 4 year car maintenance when wrapping brand new car.

I found these guys are good at spoiling someone who loves their Tesla... I recently bought plenty stuff from them.
Lol! Yeah it might've got a little out of hand... I'm an electronics technician, when I start learning about something I sometimes don't know when to stop, and then I can't dial it down again 🙃.
I have it down to a pretty streamlined process though, I time-budget 90mins for a full exterior maintenance wash which includes the wheels & cleanup after.

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
Lol! Yeah it might've got a little out of hand... I'm an electronics technician, when I start learning about something I sometimes don't know when to stop, and then I can't dial it down again 🙃.
I have it down to a pretty streamlined process though, I time-budget 90mins for a full exterior maintenance wash which includes the wheels & cleanup after.
That explains, you got experience and passion combined... I am lazy person working in physically lazy digital world, so 20 minutes drive thru touchless drive while eating some drive-thru chips/drink from McD does the job - lol.

My all previous cars used to need some efforts for wheel arch, but Audi service centre was very kind and letting me drop my car even outside service appointment for free wheel clean and dressing... I guess I am certified Lazy and they spotted it from distance - ;).

Reactions: Steve_Chch

I re-read your post and saw your interest in a snow foam lance.
The lances themselves are relatively cheap but you need a pressure washer to run them, go for one made with brass fittings and with connector suited to your pressure washer.
I own a Gernie pressure washer and if I was looking to replace my snow foam canon I would probably go for something like this.
If you have a different brand of pressure washer you need to look for one that is compatible with your brand.
With respect to ceramic coatings, the preparation is all important so that all surface contamination is removed before applying the ceramic coat. As a result I chose to get a Detailer to do a paint correction and apply a ceramic coat for me and I concentrate on weekly maintenance.

Here's my simple setup, SunJoe pressure washer, Tool Daily foam cannon, Chemical Guys Mr Pink soap, Chem Guys Mitt, that's all I use for a cermaic coated car. Wash, light rub down with mitt, chamois dry. A pressure washer is a must imo, it's great utility. I also use it to clean our PV panels besides the zillion things one can do with it.

If your car already has ceramic, you might want to try a booster like Mckee's MKCS-130 sio2 booster. I use it every couple of months on our cars, shorter duration for cars that park outside. When I did ceramic myself I spent I around 200 bux or so on a random orbiter, pads, and various compounds.

I been seeing a lot of videos claiming that Meguiars Wheel Brightener removes water spots and is safe for clean coats, BUT IT IS NOT SAFE FOR GLASS! Has anyone used it on their car for water spots?

The main active ingredient is Ammonium Bifluoride (strong acid), and yes it can dissolve water spots on your paint. There are a few important caveats.
  • If the water spots have been there for a while, they'll have etched into the clearcoat anyway and will thus require polishing to remove, so you're probably better off claying and polishing to begin with (ceramic coating isn't quite the magical force-field on water spotting that many marketing departments might like us all to believe btw, but it can help a little sometimes)
  • Ammonium Bifluoride is kinda yucky stuff. The molecule is small enough to pass through the skin barrier and enter your system, and it needs to bind to minerals... which it will leech from your bones. Wear gloves, and don't let it get in your eyes
  • And it'll etch glass, hence the warnings about that (and it can apparently happen fast)
But it can work well on paint in cases of recent heavy mineral deposits, say if the car was left under sprinklers for a day in a locale of particularly hard water.
Otherwise I tend to reach for more benign water spot products (e.g. Carpro) and if that doesn't work satasfactorily I'll generally reach for the DA or spot hand polish.
It's a fabulous wheel cleaner, safe for most wheels, and cheap (1:10 is adequate for normal vehicles, I used 1:4 for the Audi). But personally I'd only try it on paint in the above situation since I already have it on hand, and maybe if all else fails and I really didn't want to polish.