Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Searching for hotels with destination chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just call the hotel that you want to visit....
Yes, sounds good but... We visited a hotel in Jan (dropping son of in College) in Anaheim. It advertised three Tesla chargers. Upon arrival all three were found "dead". Some inspection showed that they were not receiving any power. Contact hotel staff: we'll have to have our service people checking in the morning. Of course I was leaving the next day, so that was useless. Used a super charger instead.

Fast forward to now: Need to drop son of again, called the same hotel to make sure chargers were working. The answer was that "they should be". When further pressed the response was that they were Tesla's responsibility and they could do nothing if they were not working, not even contacting Tesla.

They are completely ignorant about this, and don't really seem to care. Now, to contrast, on a recent trip to Carmel our hotel advertised 2 chargers, and both were working fine and not ICEd up.

So, just saying that looking up if a hotel has them doesn't necessarily mean much. They might not work, they might be occupied or ICEd up. Always have a backup plan.

Agree to the backup plan. I called ahead and was told there were chargers at a hotel. Upon arrival, I was told that there were plugs in the parking. I had to hunt and just found a couple 5-20 plugs in corners, some having other equipment plugged into them. Not quite the "charger" I had been told.
Charging at a hotel is a nice extra / perk. You can use it but make sure you're not stuck. There are normally plenty of level 2 chargers around so that's always a plan B, It doesn't need to be a supercharger. It's just less convenient otherwise.

From my cross country move, I planned stays at hotels in the same general area as the SC. I would typically get up before the family, head out and charge, before they were even ready to go. Once hotel had the SC in the parking lot. Didn't have access to any destination chargers for the reasons already mentioned.

Agree to the backup plan. I called ahead and was told there were chargers at a hotel. Upon arrival, I was told that there were plugs in the parking. I had to hunt and just found a couple 5-20 plugs in corners, some having other equipment plugged into them. Not quite the "charger" I had been told.
Experienced that once where the hotel advertised EV charging, and it was just a single 5-15 (or 5-20). Rather misleading to call that EV charging IMHO, I'd expect a J1772 as a minimum. Anyway didn't need it so no problem.

Yes, sounds good but... We visited a hotel in Jan (dropping son of in College) in Anaheim. It advertised three Tesla chargers. Upon arrival all three were found "dead". Some inspection showed that they were not receiving any power. Contact hotel staff: we'll have to have our service people checking in the morning. Of course I was leaving the next day, so that was useless. Used a super charger instead.

Fast forward to now: Need to drop son of again, called the same hotel to make sure chargers were working. The answer was that "they should be". When further pressed the response was that they were Tesla's responsibility and they could do nothing if they were not working, not even contacting Tesla.

They are completely ignorant about this, and don't really seem to care. Now, to contrast, on a recent trip to Carmel our hotel advertised 2 chargers, and both were working fine and not ICEd up.

So, just saying that looking up if a hotel has them doesn't necessarily mean much. They might not work, they might be occupied or ICEd up. Always have a backup plan.
what I do for this same issue is also check plugshare for any recent comments about the charger (working, dead, not working etc) before I book the hotel. Likewise we should update plugshare if we find a dead charger.

Reactions: jsight
In addition to a Model Y, I own a Zero electric motorcycle. Many of the Zero owners, including me, have purchased a TeslaTap adapter just for use at Tesla destination chargers. Many tend to utilize the destination chargers at locations even where they are not guests. Given that there are usually only one or two chargers at the few hotels that have them, coupled with outages, blockages, other EVs, etc., I wouldn't fully trust this as my only charge option.

Attachments

• IMG_8341.JPG
    IMG_8341.JPG
    731 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: frankvb