Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Searching for hotels with destination chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there!

Still waiting on my Model Y and currently planning a road trip and noticed something - are there any hotel sites that allow you to filter down to hotels with chargers? I typically use booking.com to search for hotels and there doesn't appear to be a Tesla charger filter. Does anybody have an alternative?

I know you can search for them on Tesla's site, but it's a pain to get a list of chargers and then looking each one up individually for pricing.

Hey there!

Still waiting on my Model Y and currently planning a road trip and noticed something - are there any hotel sites that allow you to filter down to hotels with chargers? I typically use booking.com to search for hotels and there doesn't appear to be a Tesla charger filter. Does anybody have an alternative?

I know you can search for them on Tesla's site, but it's a pain to get a list of chargers and then looking each one up individually for pricing.
You can use plugshare, just use the menu to show Tesla plug only and check Tesla destination charger toward the bottom of the network list. I've also got a Zero Motorcycle and although they can't use the SCs they do sell an adapter for the destination chargers.

You don't really want to plan your trip around destination chargers. Plan your trip, then check for destination chargers where you may want to stop. These chargers are typically in higher priced hotels. You typically aren't shopping for the best deal and also getting destination charging.

Where it can get a bit dicey is off interstate where you really need that destination charger to be available. I call a few hours before arrival to check the status, and also have a backup plan. On longer roadtrips an extensive charging planning doesn't typically survive past the first day or two. A better route planner is good for understanding the implications of off interstate charging, but typically the car navigation is used to determine the next stop.

Reactions: guccitrash
I've had mixed experiences. Never counted on them to be able to do/complete the trip, but rather as convenient/cheap options overnight to avoid a charging stop. Sometimes they are not available and hotel has no good process for getting somebody to move their car after a certain # of hours, sometimes they are and you are fine, and sometimes you find 3 of them, none of them working (no power) and hotel not willing/able to fix quickly enough for you to use them (before you go to sleep, or even next day).

Destination chargers are basically, "Hit or Miss" from our travel experiences. So many issues, ICE cars blocking, broken, painfully slow, unavailable because of extended use by other EV's, etc...

I agree with others on this thread, plan on using SuperChargers, and consider yourself lucky of a destination charger is available when you arrive.

If you are headed somewhere with no superchargers in range another option is renting through airbnb, they have an EV Charger filter available for searches. Even then you need to contact the owner to verify the type (one listing I contacted was just a standard 120V outlet). Later this year my wife and I are heading to Glacier NP where a round trip from the nearest SC in Missoula would be too far. We are renting a condo with a 14-50 outlet so I don't have to worry about the level 2 chargers at hotels being unavailable.

All good advice above regarding reliability of destination chargers.

I believe hotels.com both online and in their app has what you're looking for in the Facilities filter.
Screenshot_20210624-144101_Hotelscom.jpg

Hey there!

I've heard a lot on this forum saying it is a hit or miss with destination chargers because the hotel with not regulate who really parks ( ice), or the charger is out of order.

1. plugshare (standard j1772 works just as well typically for overnight charging, adjust the filters for tesla + j1772)

2. Find Us | Tesla (just move the map to where you plan to make the road trip stop and I turn everything off (like chargers, service stations till only destination charging and click the icons for the city I'm interested in and then one-by-one check out those hotels on expedia etc).

Reactions: TesslAshanti
You don't really want to plan your trip around destination chargers. Plan your trip, then check for destination chargers where you may want to stop. These chargers are typically in higher priced hotels. You typically aren't shopping for the best deal and also getting destination charging.

Where it can get a bit dicey is off interstate where you really need that destination charger to be available. I call a few hours before arrival to check the status, and also have a backup plan. On longer roadtrips an extensive charging planning doesn't typically survive past the first day or two. A better route planner is good for understanding the implications of off interstate charging, but typically the car navigation is used to determine the next stop.
Agree 100%, after my most recent road trip where I encountered non-Tesla's (using an adapter) had occupied BOTH Tesla Destination Chargers I no longer count on them. Luckily I had enough charge to stay overnight and make it to the next SuperCharger the next morning. Needless to say, I had a sleepless night playing out all the scenarios that I could encounter the next morning. So now I ensure I arrive at the hotel with sufficient charge to go it alone and not count on them. If available it's a bonus.

SuperChargers are the best way to travel.

Reactions: PackMan730
Hey there!

Just call the hotel that you want to visit....