Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Searching manual rates .5 stars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y. Culture shock trying to learn to drive a laptop. I'm finding a lot that disappoints me in the interface. I figured that being software driven, that they could quickly react to user feedback and would have a flawless, intuitive interface by now. Instead I'm finding it very unintuitive, things hidden where I would never expect to find them, and more important than anything, the search capabilities are abominable. The voice search requires very specific commands, and doesn't appear to even try searching the manual. So I opened the manual and did a manual search for garage and homelink and myQ, and none of them found anything. So I looked it up in the online manual and went to that location, and sure enough, each of those words appear multiple times.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how it works?

If that is SOP, is there a way to provide feedback that gets looked at so these easy fixes can be made?

Alternative 3, I am a long time developer. I could fix these problems in under a week starting from zero knowledge of the code.

Same with me today.

New owner here...less than a week. I got a notification that during shopping there was a sentry event (probably the lady that parked next to me).

I tapped on 'View' and nothing showed up so I wondered if I needed to format the mini-drive that I found in the glove box.

I searched of 'USB' 'Sentry' and 'Format' with zero results in the search while in the car.

Same with me today.

New owner here...less than a week. I got a notification that during shopping there was a sentry event (probably the lady that parked next to me).

I tapped on 'View' and nothing showed up so I wondered if I needed to format the mini-drive that I found in the glove box.

I searched of 'USB' 'Sentry' and 'Format' with zero results in the search while in the car.

If I remember correctly, Teslas come with Sentry enabled by default, but Dashcam set to Off or Manual? Sentry is what detects motion near your car and gives you notifications, but if you want clips to actually be recorded, I think you need to set Dashcam to Auto under Safety. Once you do that, tapping on a Sentry event notification should play the recorded clip in the Dashcam app.

I just got my Model Y. Culture shock trying to learn to drive a laptop. I'm finding a lot that disappoints me in the interface. I figured that being software driven, that they could quickly react to user feedback and would have a flawless, intuitive interface by now. Instead I'm finding it very unintuitive, things hidden where I would never expect to find them, and more important than anything, the search capabilities are abominable. The voice search requires very specific commands, and doesn't appear to even try searching the manual. So I opened the manual and did a manual search for garage and homelink and myQ, and none of them found anything. So I looked it up in the online manual and went to that location, and sure enough, each of those words appear multiple times.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how it works?

If that is SOP, is there a way to provide feedback that gets looked at so these easy fixes can be made?

Alternative 3, I am a long time developer. I could fix these problems in under a week starting from zero knowledge of the code.

There are definitely a few areas of the software that are unintuitive or confusing, not to mention some hidden features that probably aren't documented anywhere. Fortunately, you learn it after a while, and once you do, I find that I can fly through the software and make changes very quickly compared to other cars I've owned. One thing that helped me was watching the video guides that Tesla should have emailed you a link to at some point after ordering. I watched all of them before I even picked up my car. Here's one in particular that might help you with Homelink.