Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seasucker as a roof rack for Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about using Seasucker racks with our Model 3 for a while and have decided to give it a try. The idea of using their board rack as a universal roof rack came from one of the thread in this forum (someone is using them this way). So since I had a Thule ski rack already I bought the board rack so I can use it for skiing and for carrying the cargo box.

Yesterday I've tried it for the first time and it worked perfectly. We were on the road for about 160 km with the speed of 90-100km. No problem at all. The noise is not bad and I haven't noticed too much of the range loss.

49548509977_522975c8fb_b.jpg

49548283261_314823bb9a_b.jpg

49547784128_fa0e2fe452_b.jpg

49548282281_19545bfcc0_b.jpg

49548510017_fc00ba40a7_b.jpg

I don’t have a big need for roof racks, but if I did, I would likely go with these.
The Tesla versions look better, and are likely more aerodynamic, but there are some instances where the glass has cracked.
Not a fan of that, so I like these.
Thanks for the review, and pics. !
Got the Tesla roof bars, works perfectly and very aerodynamic . Can’t say I would have confidence with the suction cup technique , but to each their own.

Got the Tesla roof bars, works perfectly and very aerodynamic . Can’t say I would have confidence with the suction cup technique , but to each their own.

They’ve been around for a while and have tested them at speeds of 140MPH. The key to it being secure is CLEAN suction cups & glass/body panel.

Seasucker ABOUT US

and

This guy has a pretty good review of them. Straight up info, no BS.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Kappelan
Got the Tesla roof bars, works perfectly and very aerodynamic. Can’t say I would have confidence with the suction cup technique , but to each their own.

Ditto. I have the Tesla racks on two Model 3s and there is no issue with the glass if installed correctly. I can slide a credit card between the feet of the rack and the glass. The weight is distributed on the metal part of the body.
I have driven extensively with two or three bikes on the racks with no issue at all.
The sucker version looks like it would create a huge amount of range-reducing drag and they are not at all "Tesla elegant".

The sucker version looks like it would create a huge amount of range-reducing drag and they are not at all "Tesla elegant".
SeaSucker products serve customers who desire a portable option that easily installs and removes...and offers the ability of being installed on different vehicles. They serve a different market segment than do dedicated, and more permanent, roof racks.

I purchased my original SeaSucker Talon to use on a Porsche Cayman S because we did not like the look of a dedicated roof rack on the Porsche. That was the primary reason for the purchase, and it turned out to be a very good choice for us.

We have since sold the Cayman S and are onto a fourth vehicle...but the SeaSucker Talon remains.

Reactions: Kappelan
The sucker version .... are not at all "Tesla elegant".

I like the appearance of the suckers. No roof rack is really "elegant" IMO. That hockey stick carry is about as elegant as you are going to find for a roof-top hockey stick. And I would guess most sucker users pull the racks off when not in use, so they get to be fully elegant at those times.

It would be more elegant, practical, and safer to have a pass through using the rear seat armrest.

images
I absolutely agree that a passthrough would have been preferable, but pulling the car apart to cut the panel in the back of the seats just didn't seem worth it. The SeaSuckers hold something like 200 lbs each and regularly carry bikes so I am not worried about their ability to hold a couple of pounds of hockey sticks. The best part about them is they take up almost no room and pop on and off in minutes.

Reactions: tvad
I absolutely agree that a passthrough would have been preferable, but pulling the car apart to cut the panel in the back of the seats just didn't seem worth it. The SeaSuckers hold something like 200 lbs each and regularly carry bikes so I am not worried about their ability to hold a couple of pounds of hockey sticks. The best part about them is they take up almost no room and pop on and off in minutes.
but how do you prevent theft of the seasick racks when park in public ? and also, what's the max weight limit one can load into of the rack installed on M3 glass roof?

Sorry to Revive this, but i have a rockbros suction cup mount and the main difference is the orientation of the suction pads on the front.
the rock bros has three inline vs the seasucker that has a "dropback" pad. I know now its due to curvature of the roof and i always have issues seating one of the outer pads. any advice here?
Ive tried outer then center pads and mounting roof center and offset. i usually have one pad that gets less than ideal vacuum and it always makes me nervous.
i was thinking about 3D printing a spacer to offset one pad down a bit more to compensate but havent done any real geometry calculations