Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SeaSucker Board Rack mounting points for a Solid Roof Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched the forum but couldn't really find an answer for a solid roof car. I just bought a SeaSucker Board Rack to carry 9'5" surfboards.

Does anyone have experience of mounting it on a solid roof Model S 2014 (all aluminium, no sunroof, no glass roof)?

Any recommendation for mounting points? Where to avoid? Should I mount front or back rack on the front or rear windshield? or Should I mount both racks on the aluminium roof?

I'm worry that the suction cups could deform the aluminium roof.

Thank you.

Only chance of deforming would be if you are at a high speed or high head winds. Keep a majority of the boards towards the rear of the vehicle.

If you feel a lot of shaking from the boards then move them forward a little to balance them.

You might need to tighten the straps after a mile or two as the weight settles.

Thank you
Only chance of deforming would be if you are at a high speed or high head winds. Keep a majority of the boards towards the rear of the vehicle.

If you feel a lot of shaking from the boards then move them forward a little to balance them.

You might need to tighten the straps after a mile or two as the weight settles.
Thank you. I wont' drive fast. Feel more comfortable with racks on aluminum roof now.

I personally wouldn't trust any type of suction cup device for a roof mount. Too many liability and reliability issues. Why not just get the retrofitted roof rack from Tesla for older models.

It's weird they don't list static and dynamic load specs but ambiguously imply 140 lbs of pull required x 4 suction cups = 560 dynamic. Clever legal wording to avoid culpability IMO. It's an easy way to imply comparisons to a roof rack mount without actually adknowledging it's not a roof rack. If it's light like a surfboard and you got no wrap it might be okay based on their FAQ, but they do suggest placement on areas that don't flex.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't trust any type of suction cup device for a roof mount. Too many liability and reliability issues. Why not just get the retrofitted roof rack from Tesla for older models.

It's weird they don't list static and dynamic load specs but ambiguously imply 140 lbs of pull required x 4 suction cups = 560 dynamic. Clever legal wording to avoid culpability IMO. It's an easy way to imply comparisons to a roof rack mount without actually adknowledging it's not a roof rack. If it's light like a surfboard and you got no wrap it might be okay based on their FAQ, but they do suggest placement on areas that don't flex.
I wish there is an option for a real roof rack for a solid roof MS, unfortunately suction cup is the only option.