Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SeaSucker Monkey Bars (roof bars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, I reckon that would go across my bike rack quiet nicely without sticking out at the sides.

I really don’t think this would go across your bike rack in a stable and easy manner without sticking out...

(Seasucker Extendable Rack)
D9435A27-56EB-439B-88FB-AC48A7DBCA60.jpeg

I really don’t think this would go across your bike rack in a stable and easy manner without sticking out...

(Seasucker Extendable Rack)
View attachment 356984

Well in your earlier post you quoted a 6' tree and my Model X is 6' wide, so no problem there and it would be very stable on my tray style rack with vertical attachment hoop. It would sit nicely across the rack base and strapped to the vertical hoop. But maybe your tree is actually taller than 6'? In which case I could probably stack it vertically on my rack if I really had to. Again I would just strap it to the vertical hoop with the tree base sat on the rack, with its trunk sat between 2 bike racks. Either way It would be easier than hauling it up onto the roof of a Model X (remember the OP has an X, not an S)! Putting things on top of a Model X would be seriously hard work BTW. You would need a step for a start unless you were a 7' basketball player.

IMG_4525.jpg

Last edited:
Well in your earlier post you quoted a 6' tree and my Model X is 6' wide, so no problem there and it would be very stable on my tray style rack with vertical attachment hoop. It would sit nicely across the rack base and strapped to the vertical hoop. But maybe your tree is actually taller than 6'? In which case I could probably stack it vertically on my rack if I really had to. Again I would just strap it to the vertical hoop with the tree base sat on the rack, with its trunk sat between 2 bike racks. Either way It would be easier than hauling it up onto the roof of a Model X (remember the OP has an X, not an S)! Putting things on top of a Model X would be seriously hard work BTW. You would need a step for a start unless you were a 7' basketball player.

View attachment 357444

I didn't mean to imply it was a 6' tree, that thing is far from it. I think most will get around a 6', the one I have pictured above on the S is a 11' tall, 7' wide tree. Loading and unloading onto the roof rack took about 3 minutes total from hauling it on top to completley tying it down.

To each their own. I have an aluminum hitch carrier (50"x40"), a 5x8 enclosed trailer, and the seasucker rack. The easiest method for me to transport this monster was with the roof rack. Although if I had a larger trailer, I would've gladly hooked that up and threw it right into the trailer over this method and saved some time. So for those interested, the suction cups were plenty sturdy to hold the tree and haul it back home and didn't have any issues with it loosing pressure even a little based on the suction indicators.

I didn't mean to imply it was a 6' tree, that thing is far from it. I think most will get around a 6', the one I have pictured above on the S is a 11' tall, 7' wide tree. Loading and unloading onto the roof rack took about 3 minutes total from hauling it on top to completley tying it down.

To each their own. I have an aluminum hitch carrier (50"x40"), a 5x8 enclosed trailer, and the seasucker rack. The easiest method for me to transport this monster was with the roof rack. Although if I had a larger trailer, I would've gladly hooked that up and threw it right into the trailer over this method and saved some time. So for those interested, the suction cups were plenty sturdy to hold the tree and haul it back home and didn't have any issues with it loosing pressure even a little based on the suction indicators.

Look I appreciate this working well on a Model S, but you would have had a much harder time hauling that tree up onto a Model X roof as it's a LOT higher. At 6' 1" I can't even reach over to wash the middle of the roof on mine. The S sits very low in comparison. I believe Seasuckers are rated to carry a maximum of 150 lbs, so that tree must have been close to or over that limit. It's one of those things that either works fine or ends in total carnage!

Look I appreciate this working well on a Model S, but you would have had a much harder time hauling that tree up onto a Model X roof as it's a LOT higher. At 6' 1" I can't even reach over to wash the middle of the roof on mine. The S sits very low in comparison. I believe Seasuckers are rated to carry a maximum of 150 lbs, so that tree must have been close to or over that limit. It's one of those things that either works fine or ends in total carnage!

I have both the S and X so fully aware the X sits higher - about a foot difference. I don’t disagree it’s harder to get stuff on top of the X hence why I took the S instead of the X. But I do use the seasucker on both the S and the X depending on what I’m looking to throw on there, where I’m going, and who I need to bring, and yes I need to open the front door and use the ledge as a step.

But what’s your point? My enclosed trailer with a drop ramp is also significantly easier than trying to put a tree up on a roof or on a hitch rack. I literally just drag it into the trailer. Plus, I don’t have to tie it down or worry about the 120lb limit of a bike rack or 150lb of a Seasucker or scratching the car. Unfortunately it didn’t fit inside my tiny trailer so I used this. And since the OP asked about the seasucker and not my trailer...

Anyone give their personal feedback on these?
What speed did you drive?
What weight did you carry?

They work well. I’ve carried quite a bit of weight and size on these. My roof didn’t cave in. They didn’t go flying off. Suction held. I went up to 45mph.

With the bars (empty) on top I also saw a minor range hit, roughly 5-10% more depending on speed. With the tree on top, it was on par with towing a trailer and saw a nearly 20% increase in consumption. They’re easy to store in the frunk when not in use, but theft is a concern as they don’t lock into the car.

But what’s your point?

Nothing really. You were the one who told me it would be hard to carry a 6' tree on my bike rack and then when I said I probably could, you produce a picture of an 11' tree sat on top of a Model S! You couldn't make it up, lol!

Anyway, the OP also made it pretty clear they are planning to carry up to 100 kg of hang gliders on the roof of their X, which answered my question about why they are not simply using a hitch mount on the X. Hopefully it won't end badly.

Nothing really. You were the one who told me it would be hard to carry a 6' tree on my bike rack and then when I said I probably could, you produce a picture of an 11' tree sat on top of a Model S! You couldn't make it up, lol!

Anyway, the OP also made it pretty clear they are planning to carry up to 100 kg of hang gliders on the roof of their X, which answered my question about why they are not simply using a hitch mount on the X. Hopefully it won't end badly.

Well I was thinking 6’ tree. Then my daughter went and picked the biggest thing she could find. I was just kind of impressed in general at that point. I just wish the tree fit into my front door as well as it did on top of the car...

Anyways. I’ve never carried a hang glider and I’ve never tried this, (I have initial concerns around leverage on the hitch) but I wonder if it would help having a third support point for something of that size.
660984m3_ts.jpg

Well I was thinking 6’ tree. Then my daughter went and picked the biggest thing she could find. I was just kind of impressed in general at that point. I just wish the tree fit into my front door as well as it did on top of the car...

Anyways. I’ve never carried a hang glider and I’ve never tried this, (I have initial concerns around leverage on the hitch) but I wonder if it would help having a third support point for something of that size.
660984m3_ts.jpg

LOL! I'm sure the tree will look great for Christmas and it is impressive what you can haul around with a Tesla!

I think that was what the OP was proposing to do ie. suckers on roof plus hitch mounted support. The important thing would be to ensure that the load was fully supported laterally by the roof bars to prevent a large torque acting on the hitch when cornering. Vertical load should be okay as it's acting directly over the hitch. Still, I don't think I would risk carrying 100 kg on the roof of my Model X and certainly not at highway speed.

SeaSucker Folding Bars in full & half width mode
In full width mode, they are both 600mm forward & rear from the centreline of the roof
Only the position of the rear bar changes when in half width mode (to allow falcon wing door to open) - 660mm rear of centreline

It also just dawned on me how more suited a glass roof is than a traditional roof - it won’t dint.

B6A81667-226D-4405-96F4-DA2DBF25AA6A.jpeg F9A90AB3-3115-43A7-A2F8-49743A1CEF11.jpeg E9B6F32D-3AD4-4202-A1D1-0E251EB6F97E.jpeg 1CA2007C-840E-4DF4-87BB-C63782113A4A.jpeg F9458B6E-1F56-419C-B6F0-163F53DE651F.jpeg 5F79D7D8-8CD0-484F-84B4-48AB281BB7C2.jpeg 70E880E2-9BF1-49CA-8284-16CAF1214348.jpeg 4B747A70-26CD-4F11-801D-5B98A8525D44.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogobec
I own a set of SeaSuckers. They work great! Hold like crazy.

HOWEVER, be very careful. Before you lock them down, make sure the one FWD you want to open can fully open and not touch them. I measured it before locking them down, but apparently my FWD was not fully extended when I measured. When it opened fully, (because the suction is so strong), it shattered the roof glass.

Since I now carry a bunch of stuff, I beefed up my trailer hitch rack and don't use my SeaSuckers any longer. If someone is interested in purchasing them, DM me with an offer.

Hey Todd. I cant send a DM because I'm a new member (I think they restrict new members?) but I'd be interested in the sea sucker monkey bars if you still have them.

I own a set of SeaSuckers. They work great! Hold like crazy.

HOWEVER, be very careful. Before you lock them down, make sure the one FWD you want to open can fully open and not touch them. I measured it before locking them down, but apparently my FWD was not fully extended when I measured. When it opened fully, (because the suction is so strong), it shattered the roof glass.

Since I now carry a bunch of stuff, I beefed up my trailer hitch rack and don't use my SeaSuckers any longer. If someone is interested in purchasing them, DM me with an offer.

If your seasuckers are still available let me know

Tested it up to 115kmh/70mph on the dial (but only for a few seconds)
Wind noise dropped significantly with the hang glider on

View attachment 391281 View attachment 391282

Hi! I just came across your posts and wanted to know, how the long term results are? :) Still nothing broken? :) I just bought a new Kajak today, which is almost 5 meters in length an weighs about 40 Kilogramms... Thinking about putting it up on my X with the monkey bars... What do you all think? I would greatly appreciate your opinions. :) Best regards from Germany.

Hi! I just came across your posts and wanted to know, how the long term results are? :) Still nothing broken? :) I just bought a new Kajak today, which is almost 5 meters in length an weighs about 40 Kilogramms... Thinking about putting it up on my X with the monkey bars... What do you all think? I would greatly appreciate your opinions. :) Best regards from Germany.
At your own risk. If I were you, I would have a third rear mount from the tow point like I have done & when transporting, bias the load/weight to this rear point. The T mount for the tow bar was custom made for me in 2005 by a tow bar installation company & it was a very clever design
I also recently transported light weight office partitions on the top at 100km/hr
To reduce wind noise, you should put rubber padding on the bars & tape it down - makes a big difference
No problems so far

Last edited: