Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SeaSucker Monkey Bars (roof bars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oooh - I'd love to see someone give these a try. I hate going to Ikea and having to take a second trip after dropping off the kids. Do you think you could carry a bunch of flat boxes on top? I'm not worried about accidentally opening the FWD, but any issue with weight?

Given that the X now comes standard with a towing hitch, why would you even bother with suckers? Just get a ski/bike/box rack for the hitch. Okay it is limited to carrying 55 kg (120 lbs) but then you don't want to be carrying more than that on the roof anyway.

Given that the X now comes standard with a towing hitch, why would you even bother with suckers? Just get a ski/bike/box rack for the hitch. Okay it is limited to carrying 55 kg (120 lbs) but then you don't want to be carrying more than that on the roof anyway.
Your comment and all of the latter replies by others are good points.
I might actually end up getting both. Roof box for ski and snowboard, and hitch cargo box for regular long trips and camping. I like the fact that when really overloaded, with seven people in the car, I would be able to have all we need for skiing, travel or camping.

Fair enough, but I think you would be pushing the weight limits with a seasucker setup for those. I thought the weight limit was 150 lbs (68 kg)? I certainly wouldn't carry 100 kg on those.
I also have a custom made ‘T’ mount (made in 2005), that is mounted where the tow ball is.
This provides 3 support points.
I think I might get a hitch extension, so that the T mount sits a further 400mm or so out & therefore allows me to open the lift gate & access the rear storage.
Total weight capacity with the 3 supports is 125kg, although my guess is it’s even more more because the static load pressure is distributed more than just on one or two support points.
I like the idea of the folding SeaSucker Monkey Bars, as it may well give me the option to have a ‘half’ bar & therefore free up a falcon wing door for passenger access. I have to go to their showroom to test it out.

(EDIT: The eBay 15% sitewide sale excluded car parts. Pricks)

Last edited:
I also have a custom made ‘T’ mount (made in 2005), that is mounted where the tow ball is.
This provides 3 support points.
I think I might get a hitch extension, so that the T mount sits a further 400mm or so out & therefore allows me to open the lift gate & access the rear storage.
Total weight capacity with the 3 supports is 125kg, although my guess is it’s even more more because the static load pressure is distributed more than just on one or two support points.
I like the idea of the folding SeaSucker Monkey Bars, as it may well give me the option to have a ‘half’ bar & therefore free up a falcon wing door for passenger access. I have to go to their showroom to test it out.

(EDIT: The eBay 15% sitewide sale excluded car parts. Pricks)

Sounds like you've given it plenty of thought. But I wouldn't trust anything other than fixed roof rails for that sort of load, which is obviously not an option on the X.

I own a set of SeaSuckers. They work great! Hold like crazy.

HOWEVER, be very careful. Before you lock them down, make sure the one FWD you want to open can fully open and not touch them. I measured it before locking them down, but apparently my FWD was not fully extended when I measured. When it opened fully, (because the suction is so strong), it shattered the roof glass.

Since I now carry a bunch of stuff, I beefed up my trailer hitch rack and don't use my SeaSuckers any longer. If someone is interested in purchasing them, DM me with an offer.

I got the foldable version yesterday, but haven’t used them yet
One significant downside is the lack of nylon insert in the collars where the roof bars slot through.
As a result, the bars scratch significantly every time you slide them in & out of the sucker holding collars - metal on metal
Surprised the manufacturer didn’t think of this $2 nylon sleeve solution