Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Behavior Question for Post Oct 2019 Model X (7 seat) Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recent Model X owners (Oct 2019+) with the 7 seat configuration that I can compare seat behavior with (Dec delivery for me)?

The seating design was changed and I am trying to figure out if two aspects of the behavior are intended, or if there is a problem.

1. Significantly limited forward seat movement of the second row (manual level doesn't let the seat slide forward anywhere near what the third row entry button allows.

2. Non automatic seat sliding. In Model X raven videos before Oct it looks like the seat is supposed to automatically slide. (e.g.
).

Regarding [1] Originally my passengers side of the 60/40 would slide out further than the drivers side, but now they both seem to lock (not allow advancing) at the same position . I saw some past posts with other seat generations where there was an issue that was repaired, and so I set up a service appointment. A ranger came out and said that this was all intended and always been this way. I was skeptical so pointed out the video in 2 and then he was surprised and thought that must have been a production change then.

It's not a severe restriction but it is annoying I can't give more legroom when I have my teenage nephews ride in the back, and based off that past record I still wonder if maybe this is something that is not quite right and should be fixed.

Thanks!

I don't think the rear seats were changed when the front seats were changed. Assuming I could still slide the seats forward every time when I use the rear entry button (IOW, they don't sometimes lock into the rear position just tilted forward), the automatic sliding wouldn't concern me too much, as I believe it is mechanical and sometimes the devil you know (likely just a weak spring or tight rail) is better than the devil you don't (next seat could get stuck in the tilted forward position). However, I do think the manual sliding thing sounds like a problem. Unfortunately, unless someone with a newer model can confirm, the only way to prove it out would be to take it to the service center and have them compare with another Raven or to test drive another Raven and compare yourself.

I don't think the rear seats were changed when the front seats were changed. Assuming I could still slide the seats forward every time when I use the rear entry button (IOW, they don't sometimes lock into the rear position just tilted forward), the automatic sliding wouldn't concern me too much, as I believe it is mechanical and sometimes the devil you know (likely just a weak spring or tight rail) is better than the devil you don't (next seat could get stuck in the tilted forward position). However, I do think the manual sliding thing sounds like a problem. Unfortunately, unless someone with a newer model can confirm, the only way to prove it out would be to take it to the service center and have them compare with another Raven or to test drive another Raven and compare yourself.

Ah ok that's good to know.

I posted a similar thread on this for my 7 seat Raven (9/30/19 purchase date). The 2nd row bench pedestal does unlatch, but does not slide forward as shown in the youtube video you posted. 2nd row Pedestal Seat Unlatching issue

I have to give the pedestal signifcant tug to move the seat forward. I been to the service twice without any resolution. In the end, they told me that is how it works.

Interesting. Do you have a similar issue with the manual sliding as well? )where it is quite a bit limited in sliding forward (a lot less than what the entry button allows sliding to))

I have a Sept Build Raven and I remember I was confused when I first got the car that I was only releasing the Fold Down instead of the Fold and Slide. I don’t use it that often and I forget exactly what I was doing wrong. But it was a good head slap when I realized I was doing it wrong. Maybe different buttons? Or something. Make sure your not just folding the seat.