TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seat belt bolt recall and how to check yourself

Discussion in 'Video' started by InternetDude, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

#1 InternetDude, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. I am lucky and live close to a SC so will take mine in next week. I am interested to see, though, that your seatbelt latches are the usual black/orange. I was pleasantly surprised that this is my first car without the orange bits. That color contrast always bugged me in fine interiors.

3. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Yep, Canadian cars require the orange/red release buttons. And DRLs are mandatory and can't be turned off. Not sure if there are any other specifics, but to stay on topic I think I'm safe...

4. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

#4 mspohr, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Watching that video, I would suggest that a better test would be using both hands to give a hard yank upwards on the seatbelt while holding it about a foot away from the outboard mounting point. I see no reason to have one hand holding the belt where it goes diagonally across the front of the seat back.

6. Navyguy

Navyguy Dreamer

Problem is 80 lbs is nothing. the original one did say all he did was lean over. and this is better than nothing, but even if it hold a yank of 200 lbs in a crash at highway speeds, without doing any math you are talking several hundred or even thousands of pounds of force from your 180-200lb body

7. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

If it is installed correctly, no problem; that's what it was designed for. If it is not installed correctly, this will find it. There is no middle ground.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think they're saying that 80 lbs is enough to tell if it's properly attached, not that there's an 80 lb load in an impact.

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Easy day - thanks for the recall bulletin...