TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seat belt buckles noise

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Stasla, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Stasla

Stasla Member

Anyone else notice that the seat belt buckles knock on the plastic of the seat backs/sides when driving over bumps with no one in that seat? Especially on the front passenger side. Wondering if I need to have the tensioners checked out...

2. Ormond

Ormond Member

I have a big clip to hold the passenger belt away from the seat backs. It's super annoying!

3. Stasla

Stasla Member

Aftermarket? Could you please share where you bought it and which one?

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Mine even rattles when I'm driving, it seems as if the back of the buckle where it comes from the floor hits the side of the seat plastic. I have the same problem with my S so I put a felt pad on the backside of the buckle.

5. Ormond

Ormond Member

I had my Model X in service today. I asked about the seatbelt rattle. They told me to move the passenger seat so that the buckle doesn't hit.

The clip I'm using is a standard binder clip from Office Depot. I'll take a photo a bit later. I'm sure there's a more elegant solution. A clothes pin would also work. ☺

6. f-stop

f-stop Member

I had this problem in my Model S - noise from the bottom anchor of the driver-side belt rattling against the lower side plastic of the seat while driving. It's very dependent on the seat position, so no noise from passenger side. I too stuck a self-adhesive felt pad on the inside of the lower anchor point - a 2" diameter pad does the trick.

Since there's a big bump (rivet) on the backside of the belt anchor, I first cut/scored an "X" into the center of the pad so it would bend and adhere nicely over the center of the rivet. wish I had a black felt pad, but oh well it's out of sight and no more noise.
    IMG_4976.JPG

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Thanks for the image! I will definitely hold on to this while I drive over the bump tomorrow on my way to work! If this is it, then at least I know where the sound is coming from. :)