TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seat belt buzzer

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by orlando, Apr 21, 2013.

1. orlando

orlando Member

Is there any way to disable the buzzer? I use my seat belt 100% of the time but I rarely buckle it before i turn the car "on" (step on the brake). I find the beeping maddening.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. I wish there was at least a 3 second delay. I do the same thing. Only thing right now is put seatbelt on first.

3. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

In my current car the buzzer sounds when I begin to drive without the seat belt. And I have to hit like 5 mph before it happens too.

Good thing is, a buzzer sound is something that is adjustable maybe through a future update?

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I bought a seat belt extension ....just to keep that annoyance from ever coming on

5. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I've never heard this "buzzer" but I've also never turned any car "on" without my seatbelt on. Is there a valid reason to do that? Or just habit? Maybe this annoyance will help you guys break your bad habit.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I've learned to start my car then put my seat belt on as an efficiency of movement thing - during the few seconds it takes for the car to start up I buckle up, rather than buckle up then wait a few seconds for the car to start. Obviously, this was learned behavior on ICE's.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When I drive into my company's parking compound, I have to use an RFID tag that I keep on my keychain to open the gate. (I keep it on my keychain because I use the same fob for other doors as well). If it is in my pocket, I have to unbuckle to get at it, and the chime starts up.

My past cars would chime for a period of time, then give up and just leave the warning light on the dash. Tesla's chime doesn't seem to stop.

8. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Well, sometimes, but not often, my really rotten hearing is a blessing.:biggrin:

Which raises a question. Does the MS have a pedestrian alert sound? Back-up beeper?
    I can hear the LEAFs back-up beeper, but not the forward motion sound.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No and no. It is as quiet as a ghost.

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Turn on the A/C or Heat if you want it to make a bunch of noise!

Re: beeping, I thought it stopped after a few seconds, but I could be wrong. I just apologize to the car and put my seatbelt on. :wink:

11. ken830

You would fail your driver's test in the parking lot of the DMV if you did that. That's just a bad habit that serves no benefit. No need to "fix" the car's behavior.

Still doesn't seem like a valid reason to change the car's behavior... It's reasonable to warn (and continuously warn) of a dangerous situation.

12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I used to do that in ICE's as well, but the old sequence:

Put key in ignition and turn, put on seatbelt, press brake and put in gear

has now become:

put on seatbelt, press brake and put in gear.

13. EarlyAdopter

Served me a benefit over 20 years of doing that: I saved 3 seconds every time I started the car. Assuming a I started the car twice a day, every day, for 20 years I saved 43,800 seconds. That's 12.167 hours. Hardly "no benefit." Also, I never once forgot to put my seat belt on before putting the car into gear and driving off. It was still part of the routine, just a more efficient sequencing.

14. ken830

12 hours over 20 years is as close to "no benefit" as can be practically measured. Even if one were to concede that it is significant, the car's warning doesn't stop you from saving yet another 12 hours over the next 20 years. It's just a slight annoyance to do so. And a warning that isn't annoying isn't a warning at all. Putting on your seatbelt before driving just makes sense.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that. Just pointing out a characteristic of the car that is "different" from most other modern cars. I recall cars back in the '70s and '80's that would buzz incessantly if the seatbelts were off, but it seems most modern cars chime for a while, then stop. I assume there are some DOT regulations on this behavior.

16. EarlyAdopter

I am putting my seat belt on before driving. Just after I turn the car on, but before I put it in gear and start driving. You wanted to understand why someone would have a different sequence - this why I do.

17. 85KWh

85KWh Member

I bet you could access the electrical input to the buckle sensor itself and short it out so that it always thinks your belt is engaged. Can't be that difficult.

18. ken830

I know you didn't. But this thread is about exactly that. The first and second post was specifically asking about turning the warning off or added a delay. That's the topic of this thread. I'm staying on-topic.

So why is that a problem? In my car, I can step on the brake pedal and the car will "turn on" but there's no seatbelt warning buzzer. I've never tried to "put it in gear" without my seatbelt on though. This is true in FW 4.2 and 4.4. What firmware are you running?

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What I meant was that if the buzzer is behaving in a manner that is not consistent with DOT (or other requirements), and I'm not saying that I know for a fact one way or the other, then yes it could be a valid reason for someone to want to disable it. I simply noted that the buzzer/chime does not seem to time out, and if I was inclined not to want to wear my seat-belt, then I would probably find disabling a constantly chiming alarm is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Unless I've misunderstood, that is what we're talking about here.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

#20 gregincal, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    While I understand the behavior in an ICE car, I don't understand it in the Model S. Why press the brake if you aren't putting the car in gear? What benefit does "turning it on" give you? In the Model S you aren't saving time, you are taking extra time to step on the brake, release it, and then step on the brake again (unless you are putting your seatbelt on while your foot is on the brake, which seems awkward and still doesn't save you time).