Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

seat belt irritating driver's neck in Model Y, remedy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if other shorter drivers (I am a 5'7" male) are bothered by the driver's seat belt irritating the neck when wearing summer clothes.

I got the model Y in the dead of winter and did not notice a problem until I started driving with just a shirt in summer weather. The seat belt height adjustment is not enough to remove the irritation. The seat back and forward position seem to offer a safe driving position but the belt is a bother.

I guess I can buy some of those pads to wrap the seat belt in but maybe there is another remedy that fellow owners can suggest. Thanks!

I wonder if other shorter drivers (I am a 5'7" male) are bothered by the driver's seat belt irritating the neck when wearing summer clothes.

I got the model Y in the dead of winter and did not notice a problem until I started driving with just a shirt in summer weather. The seat belt height adjustment is not enough to remove the irritation. The seat back and forward position seem to offer a safe driving position but the belt is a bother.

I guess I can buy some of those pads to wrap the seat belt in but maybe there is another remedy that fellow owners can suggest. Thanks!
HAHAHA! I'm surprised you don't feel uncomfortable with the LAP belt!!!!

Seriously, I don't notice it when I'm driving, but for sure, the passenger seatbelt geometry is neck irritating.

Going to ask the obvious question -- did you try adjusting the height of the seat belt? This is on page 29 of the manual.

I am 5'4" and have the same issue, trying to find a good seat config still

I'm same height and never noticed irritation when driving with just a T shirt. My wife is 5'2" and she has the seat all the way up and doesn't have a problem either.

My problem is I tap on the brake after buckling up and the seat belt gets too tight. when the seat moves forward from Easy Entry setting. I need to change my habit.

This worked for me. Just made sure I touched the brake to set my profile before adjusting the belt clip.

Attachments

• belt adjuster.jpg
    belt adjuster.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,275
I am 5’2 and the seatbelt cutting into my neck is the only issue I have with my car ( new owner, bought less than 2 wks ago- so new Tesla has not given me access to app yet. Punishment for purchasing 3rd party?). Still looking for a solution. Just purchased some seatbelt clips and hoping they help. Adjusting the seatbelt and the seat has not fixed it for me.

I am 5’2 and the seatbelt cutting into my neck is the only issue I have with my car ( new owner, bought less than 2 wks ago- so new Tesla has not given me access to app yet. Punishment for purchasing 3rd party?). Still looking for a solution. Just purchased some seatbelt clips and hoping they help. Adjusting the seatbelt and the seat has not fixed it for me.
Let me know, my main issue too. otherwise i have to move seat up and straighter.

A common complaint around here and seems to affect other models, too. There was another discussion with lots of solutions in the Model Y forum.

I'm also short and even adjusting the seat belt to the lowest position doesn't help. I tried the soft cushion wrap thing, still annoying. Then the metal clip, then a nylon/velcro strap, both were supposed to move the buckle more toward the middle of your body moving the strap off your neck ..... not good enough.

I ended up ordering a seat belt extender which does help but I also stuffed a rolled up towel into the slot alongside the driver seat where the seat belt buckle is anchored in order to move it forward a bit. Another tweak to fine tune how the seat belt sits across your neck is to pull out on the seat belt after its buckled, nestle it down into your lap, then snug it up so it stays down in your lap due to the friction against your clothes.

Not the best fit, but way less irritating and I just don't understand how Tesla didn't get the ergonomics right.

Aloha

Dang it. I thought it was just me. I’m at 5’3 and so I thought it’s just an American car being bias to short people but it looks like even at 5’7 with the the adjustment down it’s still a pain in the neck. I’m tempted to try one of those seatbelt straps, popular in the 90’s, but thought it may create a safety issue.