Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat belt on neck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MagisDragonis

I know I've seen this thread a couple of times, but I figured I'd post to see if there was any new information available. I'm a proud new owner of an S 90D and extremely happy with my purchase. The one problem I'm having is that I'm very short (5'0") and the seat belt rubs against my neck.

I've seen threads on here suggesting numerous very inexpensive clips and tension adjusters and extenders, but the one comment everyone is continually saying is that these are unsafe to use. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good seat belt adjuster that will not compromise seat belt safety?

Numerous posters have also commented that adjusting the seat works, and I will spend some time trying new seat positions but my experience thus far is that any position that works for the belt does not work for either pedals or visibility.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

My wife is 5'2" and she just raises the seat and moves it a little closer. Ironically, my S85D is at the SC for annual service today and I arranged to get an X for the day - it has adjustable seatbelts and my wife was saying she liked this one better...perhaps a new order coming?

Other than raising the seat or buying the X, we have been unable in a year to find another solution....

I've seen threads on here suggesting numerous very inexpensive clips and tension adjusters and extenders, but the one comment everyone is continually saying is that these are unsafe to use. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good seat belt adjuster that will not compromise seat belt safety?

Someone here had recommended the following seatbelt adjusters to me, and I have been using them for close to two years now. I'm not sure how they could be compromising safety, but perhaps they are. They do work well.

BeltAdjuster.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HMBK5G

Again, I'm not sure how these would be compromising safety, and I'd be interested in hearing about it if they are. It seems to me that having the safety belt positioned correctly is safer than having it positioned incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply everyone. @Andyw2100 - I did see those in my forum search and they were highly recommended for comfort, but my research indicated that it repositioned the pressure of any impact resistance into the middle of your abdomen instead of against your hip bones. In the case of a collision, your softer midsection would bear the pressure instead of your hips and shoulder.

@boonedocks I may have to check that out. While it won't change the position of the shoulder strap, it could resolve any chafing problems. Thanks for the recommendation!

As always, I'm impressed with this community's helpfulness. I can't help but feel grateful for being a part of this forum and having the opportunity to interact with such genuinely nice individuals.

Reactions: Chopr147
I am 6' tall so not necessarily a height problem but, I hate the seat belts tight on me. I use a simple ,small tension clip on the seat belt so it stays loose across my chest area. Does not affect safety IMHO. The clip prevents the seat belt from being pulled back in too much

Thanks for the reply everyone. @Andyw2100 - I did see those in my forum search and they were highly recommended for comfort, but my research indicated that it repositioned the pressure of any impact resistance into the middle of your abdomen instead of against your hip bones. In the case of a collision, your softer midsection would bear the pressure instead of your hips and shoulder.

For five or six dollars you may want to buy a set and see what they do. Personally I'm not sure I agree with the assessment about repositioning the pressure points. As I see it, the device repositions the belt to where it should be, as opposed to having the belt hit one's neck.

The nice thing about these is that they are so inexpensive you can purchase them and see what you think.

Good luck!

I have 2 little ones and a wife that is about your height. The ONLY thing we found to help this situation are some seat belt shoulder covers from Amazon. They worked so well that they are now in all of our cars. Lol lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQYTUYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the same issue, 5'1". In addition i find the Tesla seat riser and the screen positioning are not ideal for those of us on the petite side. One simple fix is to buy some type of cushion, there's a bead one for hot climates, that will raise you up and make you sit tall enough to avoid the digging seatbelt, I tell the hubby all the time never had this prob with the subaru.