Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat belt remover key (3d printed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
The forum have questions about how to remove the seat belt
To do this, you needed a special key that only Tesla has
I found a service manual that explained in detail how to do this, this key was shown there.
I took a screenshot, translated it all into a STL, and printed the key on a 3d printer.
Printing was done with PLA plastic with 100% fill.

To remove, you need to gently (this is a plastic key, but should be steel) insert the key and while holding it insert the hexagon on the side and also push it

Download STL - Seatbelt key.stl
Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_33.pngphoto_2019-12-28_17-02-21.jpg photo_2019-12-28_17-02-19.jpg

I just printed this, and after 20 minutes of fiddling with this tool and the hex key, I finally managed to get the driver’s seat belt off. However, it won’t budge at all on the passenger seat, and I can’t get it off anymore after reattaching it on the driver’s side either. Is there any specific way this should be done to make removal easier?

Where did you get the pdf? If its 1:1, I could make an stl file.
I just googled it. You can find it here: Tesla Model 3 Seat belt remover key by raume
I used a cad program to transfer it to a pdf but the link above will download the stl file. I also don't know how necessary this tool is. It seems there should be some work-around by sticking a wire up in there an wiggling it until the thing releases. I'll fiddle with it...

I had the seat belt key printed, but for the life of me, I can't get the pretensioner to to separate from the buckle. Anyone have any advice?

I've tried every combination of inserting the key, pushing it in slightly, and using an allen key in the slot on the other side of the clip to push the release but nothing works...

any help would be much appreciated!

I had the part printed from an online source out of nylon. I broke a couple of them. Metal would be best but I didn't feel like spending much money. It cost like 30 bucks for 5 plastic pieces. However, a local shop used an allen key, bent roughly 10 or 20 degrees at the last 1/4" end and it was used to insert next to the seat belt. Sorry, I'm being ridiculously unclear but I just forgot the details as this occurred back in Oct last year. You should be able to find an M3 service manual pdf online and it'll show the "special tool" insertion method.