Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Belt Shoulder strap anchor point too high

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My girlfriend is complaining that the seat belt shoulder strap anchor point is too high for comfort and cuts across her neck.
I have a 2016 Model S 90D. As far as I can tell the anchor points cannot be changed as they can in some cars where the anchor point can be adjusted up or down about 6 inches to cause the shoulder strap to ride lower where it comes over the top of the seat. I wonder if there is an aftermarket device to anchor the shoulder strap to the back top of the seat or not?
Thanks for any info.

Reactions: weradln
My wife had the same problem when we first looked at an S in 2014 (and again in 2015). The seat belt would lay across her neck and give her a rash. We tried the seats in all sorts of positions but all of them bothered her. It's one of the reasons we got the LEAF. The seats changed in late 2016 and with those the seat belt doesn't touch her neck at all; this is what allowed me to eventually get the S I have.

I suggest pads like Colorado_Mike links to - that's your best bet.
(I had suggested them to my wife, but she was aghast to buy a new car at that price and not have it comfortable out of the box)

Five dollar, five minute fix. Buy these online (part number in picture) 20200212_202011_resized.jpg ,
move the adjuster all the way to the end and tuck that end between seat and seat back.20200212_190733_resized.jpg
Install guide over the belt. 20200212_190902_resized.jpg
This will hold belt away from neck, yet allow it to slide and retract. 20200212_190932_resized.jpg

Five dollar, five minute fix. Buy these online (part number in picture) View attachment 510802 ,
move the adjuster all the way to the end and tuck that end between seat and seat back.View attachment 510803
Install guide over the belt. View attachment 510804
This will hold belt away from neck, yet allow it to slide and retract. View attachment 510808

I'm 4'11 and just bought a Model S in December. My only complaint is the darn seatbelt cutting into my neck. I really don't want a seatbelt pad because it'll still rub against my neck and they're just as uncomfortable. Mwfriederichs, yours is the best solution I've seen although I haven't tried yet. I was hoping there would be some way to stop the swivel on the seat belt anchor mount. I know if I can get that thing to stay in the lowest position and not swivel upwards, I'd be good. It's hard to drive a Tesla when you're a shorty. Lol!

Here's my "Pearl" IMG_5850.JPG

Im 5‘4“ and have the same issue. It kept me from buying a Tesla for many years, and is still the first thing I would change about my car. No matter which seat position I try, the edge of the belt rubs on my neck.

To avoid this, I am using these plastic clips, which essentially change the geometry of the shoulder belt. But they also introduce slack in the belt that the tensioner would have to make-up in case of an accident. So, the further the clip is from the buckle, the greater the risk of injury because the tensioner would need time to pull back the belt and break the clip.
800DEE59-2613-48DD-9618-2149EA8CF267.jpeg

There is no perfect solution, unfortunately. The metal clips could damage or even tear the belt under the enormous forces in an accident.

I hope Tesla fixes this soon!

BTW: the Model 3 has an adjustable shoulder belt, but the adjustment isn’t enough for small people. It seems to work well in the X, and I hope they get it right in the Y.

Im 5‘4“ and have the same issue. It kept me from buying a Tesla for many years, and is still the first thing I would change about my car. No matter which seat position I try, the edge of the belt rubs on my neck.

To avoid this, I am using these plastic clips, which essentially change the geometry of the shoulder belt. But they also introduce slack in the belt that the tensioner would have to make-up in case of an accident. So, the further the clip is from the buckle, the greater the risk of injury because the tensioner would need time to pull back the belt and break the clip.
View attachment 511993

There is no perfect solution, unfortunately. The metal clips could damage or even tear the belt under the enormous forces in an accident.

I hope Tesla fixes this soon!

BTW: the Model 3 has an adjustable shoulder belt, but the adjustment isn’t enough for small people. It seems to work well in the X, and I hope they get it right in the Y.
Thank you so much for sharing! I’ve tried a clip like that but it seemed to dig into my stomach. I just can’t seem to win. Either my neck gets it or my stomach does. Tesla’s were just not made for people under 5’0. Hahaha!

Thank you so much for sharing! I’ve tried a clip like that but it seemed to dig into my stomach. I just can’t seem to win. Either my neck gets it or my stomach does. Tesla’s were just not made for people under 5’0. Hahaha!
Unfortunately, they missed the standard adjustable belt feature when they did the Model S. And it’s probably not a cheap update, as the cars would have to be crash tested again.

I find that if I move the clip too far from the lock, it pushes into my belly as you describe. But it’s not supposed to be more than 8” from the lock, I believe.

if you adjust the seat as high as possible - particularly the area where your butt would be, you have the best chance for success.

Unfortunately, they missed the standard adjustable belt feature when they did the Model S. And it’s probably not a cheap update, as the cars would have to be crash tested again.

I find that if I move the clip too far from the lock, it pushes into my belly as you describe. But it’s not supposed to be more than 8” from the lock, I believe.

if you adjust the seat as high as possible - particularly the area where your butt would be, you have the best chance for success.
Thank you! I’ll try adjusting the belt clip no more than 8”. The seat is already as high and upright as much as possible.

I'm 4'11 and just bought a Model S in December. My only complaint is the darn seatbelt cutting into my neck. I really don't want a seatbelt pad because it'll still rub against my neck and they're just as uncomfortable. Mwfriederichs, yours is the best solution I've seen although I haven't tried yet. I was hoping there would be some way to stop the swivel on the seat belt anchor mount. I know if I can get that thing to stay in the lowest position and not swivel upwards, I'd be good. It's hard to drive a Tesla when you're a shorty. Lol!

Here's my "Pearl" View attachment 511646
We don't say 'shorty', some people are merely vertically challenged ;-)