Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Belt Warning with Dog in back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a rear-seat cover so that my dog can ride in my back seat (5 seater). She is in a harness, and secured safely. However, her weight is enough to trigger the seat belt warnings.

I've searched and googled... and the only information I can find tells me to press the warning to change it to a car seat. But in my X, the warning appears in the driver display, not the center display, so there's nothing to touch.

What am I missing? How can I (temporarily) turn it off?

Thanks!

There has to be a better solution...
And there is!

Basically, when the warnign chime pops up on the screen, you click and hold the red error in whatever seat location it is in, and you will change it to "car seat mode" and the chime will be eliminated for the remainder of that drive.

The only issue is you have to do it on every drive, but once you figure it out, it becomes second nature.

Thanks TMC buddies! :)

Upvote 0
And there is!

Basically, when the warnign chime pops up on the screen, you click and hold the red error in whatever seat location it is in, and you will change it to "car seat mode" and the chime will be eliminated for the remainder of that drive.

The only issue is you have to do it on every drive, but once you figure it out, it becomes second nature.

Thanks TMC buddies! :)
That’s what I did and it seems to stick (don’t have to do it every drive).

Upvote 0
With the X, the notification happens on the dash screen, which is not a touch screen...
You hold the steering wheel (scroll) button on the side with the warning in the IC until the warning goes away and it will stay gone until the weight is lifted off and re-applied. Unfortunately, unless your dog sits still or sleeps, that potentiallly means having the warning come back and having to hold the steering wheel (scroll) button again fairly often. You could also just buckle in the seatbelts and/or use a harness anchor that connects to the seat belt buckle for the dog's safety. In any case, also be aware that the seat won't fold down while anything is latched into a buckle meant for the seating section you are trying to fold.

Upvote 0
You hold the steering wheel (scroll) button on the side with the warning in the IC until the warning goes away and it will stay gone until the weight is lifted off and re-applied. Unfortunately, unless your dog sits still or sleeps, that potentiallly means having the warning come back and having to hold the steering wheel (scroll) button again fairly often. You could also just buckle in the seatbelts and/or use a harness anchor that connects to the seat belt buckle for the dog's safety. In any case, also be aware that the seat won't fold down while anything is latched into a buckle meant for the seating section you are trying to fold.
That's the catch there -- until the weight is lifted off and re-applied... which will happen with a moving dog, even one that is harnessed. My harness connects to the center belt, and I've just gone ahead and buckled both outboard seats in as well. It creates lumps, but what else can you do.

Random side note, I've also noticed when I have a rear passenger who is belted in, they often trigger the center seatbelt warning. I'm guessing it's their hand on the center seat, as it flickers... I just deal with it, because I'm not going to tell my passenger they can't touch the seat LOL

Upvote 0
Random side note, I've also noticed when I have a rear passenger who is belted in, they often trigger the center seatbelt warning. I'm guessing it's their hand on the center seat, as it flickers... I just deal with it, because I'm not going to tell my passenger they can't touch the seat LOL
Depends on who it is. Grandkids? Don't touch ANYTHING! lol

Upvote 0