Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My darling son has managed to 'stand' on the passenger side electric seat controls - that means the little piece that represents the seat base has broken off, along with the inner plastic toggles that the switch pushes on to...

I have pushed it back on temporarily, but it's loose and moving the seat up and down isn't going to happen now!

Has anyone else had a breakage in this area?

Sadly, sounds like an expensive service appointment...

Looks like you can get the bits you require by emailing [email protected] and fit them yourself.

Here's the parts diagram:

1633634785893.png

Login with your Tesla account credentials here:

From your description it looks like you need number 3 above?

1633634887278.png

There's two versions so enquire as to which you will need when you email with the part numbers and your VIN.

I’ve had the same thing happen to me TWICE in the last few months. The first time, I booked an appointment and it was replaced free of charge. I haven’t had the guts to try again a second time in three months.

My daughter has knocked it getting into the car and it has just sheared off. I have never experienced this with any other vehicle and I think it is a very flimsy switch. I doubt this will be the last time it needs replacing.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I’ve had the same thing happen to me TWICE in the last few months. The first time, I booked an appointment and it was replaced free of charge. I haven’t had the guts to try again a second time in three months.

My daughter has knocked it getting into the car and it has just sheared off. I have never experienced this with any other vehicle and I think it is a very flimsy switch. I doubt this will be the last time it needs replacing.
Agreed.

Mine is a lease car, so thinking about getting it fixed just before I give it back...

However, I want to enjoy the car as well...

I'll have a look. It is actually the 'toggles' that sit inside the unit that are broken off (I tried to highlight them in the pic)...

But given what you said, I will investigate further regardless.

Thanks for the answer.

View attachment 718887

Given it's not listed as a separate part, you'd definitely need "3" as suggested before, and will need to find out which variant you need based on your VIN.

Perhaps the second part code is for cars provided recently without lumbar support?

Reactions: spooksman

Did you get it fixed the second time?

Mine has also broken twice too. They fixed it free the first time but have quoted $150 for the second repair.

I do suspect there was user error on a passenger's part but I've had a lot of cars in a lot of years and have never had a part break like this.

Did you get it fixed the second time?

Mine has also broken twice too. They fixed it free the first time but have quoted $150 for the second repair.

I do suspect there was user error on a passenger's part but I've had a lot of cars in a lot of years and have never had a part break like this.
Yep, I got it repaired. It happened AGAIN within 3 weeks of the repair. I’ve given up now, it’s staying broken.

• Informative
Reactions: NoisyCricket
It gets knocked by people’s feet as they get in the car. Very poor design.

I did think about building a protective enclosure, but have decided to leave it broken and get it repaired for one last time just before I get rid of the car next year.
That's very odd as this is the only thread I can remember seeing where someone has raised this as an issue. If it was a poor design then I would expect many more frequent references. Isn't the design much the same as any other car?

They could be more recessed, but at the same time you're right in so much as it's not an endemic issue as far as I can tell.

At a certain point I think you have to take responsibility for your children or other people getting in and out of your car being told clearly that they have to be careful, to be brutally honest. There is an element of carelessness here, I think, even if the design could be improved.

Reactions: Adopado
While I agree it must have an element of carelessness,, to break once is careless, to break twice is very careless, to break three times suggests there must be an issue with its design or location. It literally lasts no more than a few weeks each time.

It is always the passenger side, so I guess it must be the specific height and distance forward that my family have the seat that puts it in the firing line of feet as they get in the car. My ’kids’ are 19 and 15, so it’s not like they are small.

There are a few others that have had this issue that I have spoken to, but clearly it doesn’t affect as many as I thought it would, given the volume of failures that I’ve experienced. Sounds like it’s a ‘me’ problem, though at £300 a pop to fix, it’s an expensive one.

While I agree it must have an element of carelessness,, to break once is careless, to break twice is very careless, to break three times suggests there must be an issue with its design or location. It literally lasts no more than a few weeks each time.

It is always the passenger side, so I guess it must be the specific height and distance forward that my family have the seat that puts it in the firing line of feet as they get in the car. My ’kids’ are 19 and 15, so it’s not like they are small.

There are a few others that have had this issue that I have spoken to, but clearly it doesn’t affect as many as I thought it would, given the volume of failures that I’ve experienced. Sounds like it’s a ‘me’ problem, though at £300 a pop to fix, it’s an expensive one.
Not sure I have heard of any on Model Y, so suggests that it is a placement issue rather than a construction or robustness issue? I think the part is identical in both cars, just that MY seats are placed on the upstands to give them the extra height.

Reactions: Stranger Dings