Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming we just want to "take care" of the seats. What's something like 303 actually capable of doing? I mean the "vegan leather" is basically a soft plastic, with a nice texture, but what benefit is there to applying these "protectants"? They can't penetrate, there's no porosity, how can they make the plastic itself change in any way? How can it become more durable?

Has anyone see any actual bona fide test results?

After trying 303, streaky mess, and that foul-smelling Turtlewax Ice Premium Cleaner Protectant, oh sigh ... and ArmorAll, dust magnet extraordinaire

I'm trying ONR Wash and Wax, like on the exterior. To 1) pick up the dirt and 2) leave a trace of wax, so crap doesn't adhere to it as much and our butts float on an ever-so-nanomolecular anti-stiction layer to reduce wear. This is probably preferable to applying teflon to our pants.

Reactions: Thp3
Assuming we just want to "take care" of the seats. What's something like 303 actually capable of doing? I mean the "vegan leather" is basically a soft plastic, with a nice texture, but what benefit is there to applying these "protectants"? They can't penetrate, there's no porosity, how can they make the plastic itself change in any way? How can it become more durable?

Has anyone see any actual bona fide test results?

After trying 303, streaky mess, and that foul-smelling Turtlewax Ice Premium Cleaner Protectant, oh sigh ... and ArmorAll, dust magnet extraordinaire

I'm trying ONR Wash and Wax, like on the exterior. To 1) pick up the dirt and 2) leave a trace of wax, so crap doesn't adhere to it as much and our butts float on an ever-so-nanomolecular anti-stiction layer to reduce wear. This is probably preferable to applying teflon to our pants.

I think most on this thread are looking to protect their seats, but not all. I'm looking to add a splash of color to the interior (eyeing red & black covers). As for cleaning product, I love Optimum's Leather Protectant Plus. Have used it for years on my previous Audi's real Nappa leather seats and the Model 3's seats with great results. You can use it on pretty much all interior surfaces as well, except glass and alcantara. Leaves a clean finish without the shine or grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-SP2007P-Leather-Protectant-Plus/dp/B0007ZULM0

anyone have any initial feedback with the white PU seat covers so far? how are they hold up and stain resistant?
I've been using the taptes seat covers for about seven months. I would say they still look great! They just look like brand new.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 426
I received my seat covers and installed them.

Thanks @AlaMike for the tip on securing the straps. I did the same thing and also applied technique to the rear seats using zip ties. I did not use the included hooks at all. Worked out great.

For those that haven't been following, I have Gen 1 seats which have been replaced with Gen2 at around end of Q1 2018. Although the seats were designed for Gen 2, they still fit pretty well. The only fitment issue is the side bolsters appear to be a little thicker on the Gen 1 seats. I am not able to tuck the edge into the plastic back around that area. You can see it in the photos. Everything else turned out well.

JtzfEhfr-TwkuhSma87qit1Sij5aLzOe6mL3HXaLp3_7moR6RH_R2hgFBO5GJ7Gcm2LD3eeLu0k_qdflbSo-TRAgmE_UJzlNHkxFF__MS9QshW1Jx3xAtfTbDvp50A1f6rADvBOOPLs-FXdBsmx6nsTnoEc78qFfRthS2RIFXD2TaL7IWjvNKebmD9X5sa2YXIO9cU3s43NxmiR39bj_419ylEvwaF__bkV_dEWYAMQgI-aO008u-DfAzGXpj7V-gRrj-xiThgwxx7MeWhlH8mvat5RlK7hJRrF91pVQlb_UQ6SaRAMGjv6Od5zbcUBIj0DVZK2J82z_ZNxf5tmwGqMt2HVEejXZW_Ee9GFDNCf-db8PyXVDFMlEH5sSNSlh5D9fcEXUB-fNu9I6iSo75L3zAOPyeNhPH-YXNbS2hJJrY7pnMyFQGoEYpME-SEUff2tNNwGT31kyvCledtqRVLe9KmoJEykrhudaIka2HKz8xWiqTJPBMhDEiwu_SeJN9WpvUQskKpU7Mas7rIuj4w-EaWs31RsDrte8ojyFNHHefsCeKGVqWRWKKRRkI9TqkzxjLtlg1s45qIVITSHuo_CWBN1KsvJTqXmtA-yXczIR8J96PUT3mTI47VktUzzOHePNFy-S-O0Qplz8Sa8v59aEQdmPqnR9Aw0vL-d1qkxJT2_mbFBgq-U2jqfXqI56DXvn--2euQUE-LNHVPuhaZaARPJrqEnp8uXEAsYmYYM72CH-=w1929-h1288-no

u2q8qF1r7zcUm2bdgPjMPkBrTgsgo0g6HKHtqdGk_A3JGUtexEQizvp-HyhE1oSlaGVJMxEPRhMpYB-juYRFKemsMYNicn-5T9z47SPIjVBBWeT2mVwn-tKeP4lcs6y2gY8ee7nTklRBipKgjoAimfYDhs_DN5--kFAZyLrgVb7MIQf4c-J5MNw5bs7pI30jai2H2Z_Xw-gugBsfelRRBANkRtuGDIy8Sxhmb5Bw2_vQ0IIBrpY3M8xYL6Xyue1CYa22CHaS9Zg-n2la9O8-FtNt0l2UCUKu-i51vYp2UVJZEZqvBxeLv8ik67ThT06R7CLNcsSMVUr2w4cZi5n4h28aNd4-jQcnFysxUblotDmYpjkH7feUl4AMBQV9gGr5FxPke73mDuAyZl18MFROTNTPTnQxytolNEz-OP18RnsdcMm--bwYPEM4AplznBfNoiTs2eIthagN3u-_yTYWa3MR1jYl8X-DvzIiFyOZzWVLTXog8ojQyuulVN0PoG00u2RgNx69JbiL1V1x7aUXef00_7Hk1bBO1K7VKWCycCZ9BBaqfRVbPB25C1YLogHti3t0bN6nfzojTL4wuR2FY34aeKWadpw0Hex7GZL-RE6b6YMULBBIIFYFfCEa4znVNVK21utpSamtdcB0nVF1Xo6IKfjFwqLjRm6yOywqTsq5szgNo_rT2YKA8SmyLaBcson9WboOVCvMrDg30IF3wBOeZtHLALKQLqRTziM2cyz7cJ31=w808-h1210-no

ZMZdEyY6DmpQKY8oDyvMqzZs2N5h9x7vWbAYQyz3pJj2tzYGFB3bm8jpok2KbR7s1nIVtQROWWhJarbMjBlkiTdNBFhAMqJcReA1zFsfF9JxpeJ9Iln2EodbCL4_Fzwx4jV0eqq_pOae5BpGBJS1g3pTQBZZ98OA0ySBbTJ7Mw1JCs0yT7EmtWu3Xu8f2qkwsMrlrSTh8ElfCaWJEiglMklqX_hNELHVMjLENdQhpM16MeIgwY4WoxubPun5hVaWvVD9NP8m6kDzafToXKO7kreqLC0tZpakThNqNFttYsZ55CxtnKvL9m2XK-odC4bKxlLelh7OFdtVIzWymoyavhQndpHVZH-LAn_KV0EasTSpu_TE49b8CgLqdpg0l2jUfOr2aLwQGDEn3w_szF7NjvIC_dZuoRuUTe3sRXnmhdVAtrdf6j7aFBhHQs012sf5PnONTT2poPBLcbtLN4HsVbIND93Ojf9NYQkTbvtHbQ3rkHWl9zXhJuhK3MjAj5o3w4BRjTEd9me8hIPz1yIWGBOvLJgkMRlH8m-A5XRd3faQ9QtwDtCuuFfeXuAp5h9YxYR6UN0ZQWlGB3-ZiCiPVKvSVMW8zTIzWaCkjx8lOkI4QtCMauFtwD2RuqiJAOlg8UWabBMmobpYDOUDM9HeOIt_uH7dWZXYWoBIk8SaoLxNZenBc_0q0KEz5Bx_jOMJPFEY8xlwDvamobOB1mqwRBYhtMqKmpood6lUNTyAKxl0m9Mo=w1440-h961-no

PPUUmKXhnv67kyBQv7hHQ9ZK8QdwdHDhzSIBTYnoCdhHp379SYMoYW2V01pvC1kZDX2IAcmrm1HHvjQIaKd3MCHAE979HNlvhv7acl1fv4fHldk7jrTivonwn_0vb0aHuBYfQ0yj3hc1G7z7ZrMwSO_J1Mqmmief11hdY4ijqwn_7MghDDND9nh6XPyykJe4ffU-wP0Tg8FReO61pQS1b5-9f7BsLT6Wnzv31kb7rtXwhTs2qLe9omhR1YG98LUQ57D2cbu5fDnPFDeOFAQ9V3mH6tb_3eq_YB2L15nSMJHzhxBNAtDBMqU79J7fbhvhZ13EaP3d2nQD2j1aWbPAS9XkTSm99uvBpbBcE-WpvoHFWW25L8vxzkras-jIEYOFPDl-iPalwJRgfOWbZS3jstqYTLVGBzOXb4k3Baqo_AKRNNbtaMBoyYVrnYVwaPa_fzqw3Zfa5HX_NCy5yw6aCK08UFtAkRwD8_CgSyMKQG0_DicBRk8G36RQ9wbN75T-cQny_Lpz_m9bpzEJW1uPNsfQEKs5UCblfkoANoRFSk4UHVO7cV7phVm3tEJQlXS1Yh_uRCcKMfdqJ7-jOeO70LKysLKO06YjXdDAKdNE1CckamTKJXWL1LDvAge8UruawlMaq6OxYPEh-2x-Oz2p1dP4gWQCH2hcI1aq1JNDn9-icFmmglvtkbN_sInKfjYa9pubVZo6UJiyc218Yy4hjrC1ZgSriCeOHvXBovOTTX3nvJNw=w808-h1210-no

More photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyPkU4ve7bhaThQD6
How long have you used them? They are already wrinkled. Looks so bad.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-15_15-59-16.png
    upload_2019-10-15_15-59-16.png
    528.5 KB · Views: 393
So you only got the seat cushion? How does it fit? Any sliding? Do the seat heaters work? How about some pictures? Thanks.

Works great! fit is excellent but you will need some bungee cords to hook the back to the front under your car seat. That's a little bit of work to do but not difficult. It's the only way to get it from sliding out occassionally. Heaters still work great. From my experience, the only part that takes damage on a leather seat is the bottom piece, so it makes absolute sense to me to get just the cushion. I'll grab some pictures later tonight and update you, but i've gotten no less than 6 people complementing them and 3 people buying it for their vehicles (non-tesla).

Reactions: rlb4
Works great! fit is excellent but you will need some bungee cords to hook the back to the front under your car seat. That's a little bit of work to do but not difficult. It's the only way to get it from sliding out occassionally. Heaters still work great. From my experience, the only part that takes damage on a leather seat is the bottom piece, so it makes absolute sense to me to get just the cushion. I'll grab some pictures later tonight and update you, but i've gotten no less than 6 people complementing them and 3 people buying it for their vehicles (non-tesla).

Thanks. Pics would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a hard time picturing how and where the back plates and the side straps attach.

I just installed the Edealyn seat covers and they are great. They make my previously uncomfortable seat so much better now. Best $20 ever. They look really good too.

Sorry I didn't get around to posting an image of the seatcovers, went on my honeymoon and didn't get back till sunday. Glad you like them! Hopefully you figured out what I meant by bungying the front tie downs to the rear velcro straps to hold the seat in place. Definitely going to be secret santa gifts this year for other Model 3 friends

Reactions: rlb4
Finished Installing today and managed to take some quick pictures before it started to rain - I can take more detailed pics by request. Some observations:

1) These are PU leather covers - they look nice and have nice seam work - they are a custom fit - I have no idea if they will stand the test of time. I suspect I will be tired of white by the time they wear out.
2) The video for the product (posted earlier) is very simple and lacking critical info; therefore, also watch the video for the TapTes seats (different brand and posted above) because it covers some important steps. For example, I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out how to lift the apron under the front seats before realizing the The TapTes video covered that.
3) It will take 2+ hours to install - recommend installing when its sunny out or in a well lit space. You need to be able to see wires under the seat so you feed the straps correctly.
4) I skipped the clips on the front seats and instead ran the straps through the elastic loops and crossed them - see picture. This way the seat cover is pulled very tight and has almost no play.
5) The back seat will necessarily be loose in the seat cavity because there is no way to keep it down without gluing. I suspect this is the case with all brands of seat covers. It's not too distracting - see the back seat pic - far seat cavity.

I am happy with the value - I would be happier with real full grain leather and tan color, but that is not available. Honestly I can not think of a $250 modification that makes this much of a difference and for that reason I think this is a great value. There is some risk because we don't have information on how stain and wear resistant this product will be.
View attachment 453144 View attachment 453145 View attachment 453146 View attachment 453148

Looks nice! Are these the ones you bought from amazon? how are they hold up now if i may ask?

Just installed the front taptes nappa covers... my feelings are mixed. If I tell myself they're seat covers and I got a nice white seat look - cool, I'm happy. The material itself is quite nice.

If I tell myself, this is a $50k car, this product isn't up to that standard, ehhhhh, I don't know. First, its pathetic that taptes doesn't have a video of installing their own damn product. Second, the seat back strap - the video totally doesn't cover this or the head rest but I'm guessing everyone searched youtube for how to remove the front headrest, which then allws you to also remove the black seat back, so the lumbar straps can strap in the back ? I didn't do that at first, and missed the straps, until I got to the passenger seat and was like hmmm.

Some little "air pockets" here and there, but you don't notice them unless you're caressing the seat with your hand lol. The headrest fitment is the part that bothers me - as someone already mentioned, they're too small, and thus you'll have black showing at the bottom corners. If taptes would fix that, it would be quite a large improvement.

Other nit is the "seam" around the black seat back - after taking off the seat back and pulling the lumbar cover, its better but the seam is still in consistently lined up around the edge which bothers me. You can tuck in the upper 1/4 but not around the sides, which if you're OCD, will bother you.

Hope this helps those of you who may be more crazy with little details.

Checking the pictures of the amazon seats - because their headsets are integrated, AND there is more material in the back to tuck in the black seat back, I almost think its a better product. Granted, taptes nappa is superior as far as material.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC and fseir
Rear seats are sort of harder than the front - pain in the ass. The side pieces which you have to squeeze in with the wedging tool are the real pain - I still can't get it. Edit: I'm leaving those side pieces off, not worth it.

From a distance, again the seats look good, but this whole thing makes me want to sell my car and get factory white seats LOL - I'm crazy though. In the natural light, the white looks so good.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: fseir