Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat cushion recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone that uses an aftermarket seat cushion and can recommend one?

The seat in my Sept 2017, Cream, PUP Model X is just not comfortable for my body apparently (both on the seat bottom and seat back) and I need to look for a good cushion.

I did try a memory foam one from Amazon that was highly rated, but it is too thick and in colder temps, the memory foam gets hard and takes a while to soften up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You have the vegan seats right? Those seats are pretty darn soft compared to the leather. My advice would be to raise your seat up more so it's more like a chair, drive without shoes, just socks and your steering wheel a little closer so your arms are closer to 90 degrees and set the seat warmer to 1 and the steering setting to comfort. That combo works really well for me. It's tempting to try to soften the seat but I find that ergonomics seem to rule the day. Try those things.... maybe I'm psychic.

Reactions: CarsonGallo
You have the vegan seats right? Those seats are pretty darn soft compared to the leather. My advice would be to raise your seat up more so it's more like a chair, drive without shoes, just socks and your steering wheel a little closer so your arms are closer to 90 degrees and set the seat warmer to 1 and the steering setting to comfort. That combo works really well for me. It's tempting to try to soften the seat but I find that ergonomics seem to rule the day. Try those things.... maybe I'm psychic.

I have the steering set at comfort already and have tried to adjust the seats in many different combos, but I will give those things a shot. Part of it is also not the seat positioning, but that the bottom of the seat is does not have enough cushion for my body. I can feel the metal frame on the seat bottom and no matter what position i have the seat in, it always causes my bum and legs to get sore. The service center says there is nothing wrong with my seats. I have not had this problem in any other car and I travel frequently and am in a different rental car at least a couple times a month.

I have the steering set at comfort already and have tried to adjust the seats in many different combos, but I will give those things a shot. Part of it is also not the seat positioning, but that the bottom of the seat is does not have enough cushion for my body. I can feel the metal frame on the seat bottom and no matter what position i have the seat in, it always causes my bum and legs to get sore. The service center says there is nothing wrong with my seats. I have not had this problem in any other car and I travel frequently and am in a different rental car at least a couple times a month.
Did you remove the iPhone from your back pocket? :)
The metal frame doesn’t sound right. Can you go sit in another vehicle? Definitely try the shoes off and raising the seat more, it sounds like you aren’t able to spread the pressure evenly . I move my seat back and up and it makes such a difference for me... keep updating us!

I take everything out of my pockets. :)

This is where I feel the frame. If I press down with some slight pressure I can feel it on both driver and passenger side.

Mine was born on Sept 2017. I checked a friend's Dec 2017 X and felt it there as well. I haven't had a chance to check an older X yet.

How do you have your tilt set on your seat?

Thanks!!!

I take everything out of my pockets. :)

This is where I feel the frame. If I press down with some slight pressure I can feel it on both driver and passenger side.

Mine was born on Sept 2017. I checked a friend's Dec 2017 X and felt it there as well. I haven't had a chance to check an older X yet.

How do you have your tilt set on your seat?

Thanks!!!
Do the tilt by pressing down on the rear portion of the button that slides the seat forward or back. Then press up on the front portion of the same button.... close your eyes and adjust the seat using only your body as the gauge of comfort.... Now adjust the tilt such that your bottom is as high as possible and then lower the front to the point where you can’t feel your legs hinging at the bar your mentioned.... make sure your arms and everything are as close to 90 degrees as possible, which means no drink in the driver side center arm rest and cushion covering the hole. Breathe and focus on your inner chi. Now adjust the lumbar setting up as high as you can and out as far as you can comfortably..... do the same for your headrest. Move the steering wheel closer to you so you aren’t reaching for the wheel as much.

Now, you have achieved maximium comfort. IF you are still not satisfied..... get a laptop neoprene case that fits under your tailbone but not the frame. You may need to cut the sleeve in half to create as thin a cushion as possible. The cushion shouldn’t be needed but is nice to have in case you are uncomfortable on a long trip.... who knows, maybe you have a weird anatomy .... so

You have to play with the settings a bit. When we first got the X I was so uncomfortable to the point where my legs were aching. Eventually I found a decent position. I find the X seat doesn't go out under your leg towards the knee enough. My wife's Lexus seats are so much better. I even prefer my 99 civic seats to be honest

You have to play with the settings a bit. When we first got the X I was so uncomfortable to the point where my legs were aching. Eventually I found a decent position. I find the X seat doesn't go out under your leg towards the knee enough. My wife's Lexus seats are so much better. I even prefer my 99 civic seats to be honest
I got 99 problems but a civic ain't one.

I got 99 problems but a civic ain't one.

I know it's just a civic and to compare it to 100k plus cars is silly but besides my wife's lexus it's honestly the most reliable cars I've driven. Oil change and brakes, and they go forever.

I don't buy cars often. I drive them as long as possible.
Considering the issues Tesla's have when they are new and under warranty, I'm not looking forward to when it's out of warranty. But that's another topic and post altogether.

To the Op, adjust the seats. Play with it. You'll get it eventually

I know it's just a civic and to compare it to 100k plus cars is silly but besides my wife's lexus it's honestly the most reliable cars I've driven. Oil change and brakes, and they go forever.

I don't buy cars often. I drive them as long as possible.
Considering the issues Tesla's have when they are new and under warranty, I'm not looking forward to when it's out of warranty. But that's another topic and post altogether.

To the Op, adjust the seats. Play with it. You'll get it eventually
I was quoting jay z ....

I tried these two. They are both different and really just depends on your preferences and comfort levels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TLSFA6
-This one is fairly thick, but lots of cushion. The foam it is made out of hardens a bit in colder temps so it can be a bit firmer when it is cold and then softens up once you sit on it for a little bit. This is what I am currently using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723DKKPF
-This one is pretty thin and wasn't really enough cushion for me.

Is there anyone that uses an aftermarket seat cushion and can recommend one?

The seat in my Sept 2017, Cream, PUP Model X is just not comfortable for my body apparently (both on the seat bottom and seat back) and I need to look for a good cushion.

I did try a memory foam one from Amazon that was highly rated, but it is too thick and in colder temps, the memory foam gets hard and takes a while to soften up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cushion Lab for the win!