Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat (dis)comfort after 5,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a recent build with gen 2 seats. I wouldn’t say they’re terrible but they’re also not good enough for a premium vehicle, esp the short and low bottom cushion that lacks adjustability. It doesn’t help that the car suffers from high wind and road noise. IMO comfort is the biggest knock against an otherwise excellent, technologically advanced vehicle. I don’t know if these things aren’t a priority for Tesla or if they just haven’t yet reached the level of sophistication of luxury automakers.

^^My conclusion is that the wind/road noise is fine for a $35k car, but the PUP should've come with greater insulation/sound deadening. (Of course, the problem is the glass room and windows with no frame. The rubber seals will wear down over time, increasing air noise.)

^^My conclusion is that the wind/road noise is fine for a $35k car, but the PUP should've come with greater insulation/sound deadening. (Of course, the problem is the glass room and windows with no frame. The rubber seals will wear down over time, increasing air noise.)

Even some mainstream cars costing way less than $35,000 have much lower wind and road noise, eg Chevy Malibu, Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, Buick LaCrosse etc

I liked the seats in the showroom but not after a few days. They are too soft and not wide enough for me. I am your average 6ft 180lb... I like the S's seats better. I don't think the 3's seats will probably hold up too well as they age...
Did you opt for white or black seats? Some people have reported that the black seats are firmer than the white seats, even though the cushioning is supposed to be the same.

Did you opt for white or black seats? Some people have reported that the black seats are firmer than the white seats, even though the cushioning is supposed to be the same.
Black seats. I cant imagine them softer. I am hoping I will eventually get used to them but right now I just don't like the seat width particularly the left side I am up on the bolster or whatever it is called with my thigh and feels awkward.

Definitely the V2 seats are super uncomfortable to me. This is actually the first seat in any car (besides a race car) that has given me pain, regardless of how I adjust them. The pain I experience is in my right leg from the midpoint of my hamstring up through my lower glute.

I'm 6'4", 200lbs, but I don't think height has much to do with it. I have wide hips - 36-38" waist size in jeans - and I think my right leg must have pressure exerted against it by the side bolster which causes the pain. It becomes noticeable after 20 minutes of driving.

Anyone else experience pain in this area? I'm going to try the V1 seats to see if the pain goes away. I drove an early Model 3 with V1 seats for a couple of weeks earlier this year and don't remember any pain so I'll give it another go.

I've sat in the white Model 3 seats directly after getting out of my plain black ones. They're noticeably softer. That said, I like the plushness. The ride would be way too harsh if the seats weren't soft to absorb impact. A lot of American cars tend to be on the plush side. I'd much prefer plush to rock hard like on my BMW. My BMW has an incredibly smooth (not soft, smooth as in you don't feel bumps at all) ride and is super quiet, but I've sat in solid wood church pews that have more forgiving seats than the leather BMW seats I have. Their fake leather is way more soft and plush, but it doesn't come with ambient lighting.

It is kind of loud, but that varies quite dramatically based on manufacturers. We'll just have to lump the Model 3 in the "noisy" category. I've been in noisier cars so it's all pretty relative. I wished they used acoustic glass for the windshield. Just that alone would have made a huge difference.

The drivers side foam appears to be deteriorating in mine as I keep having to clean up the remnants. I will look to replace the cushion at some point.

Attachments

• 20181008_111823.jpg
    20181008_111823.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 134