Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true that they can only apply the "fix" to the driver's side? I'm scheduled to have it done later this month and I'm pretty sure they said they can do both sides.
Reaching in the waaaay back machine to almost 24 hours ago...
FYI, they can only apply the fix to the driver's seat. The airbag sensor in the passenger seat prevents them from doing the modification.
Now, I'd go ahead and ask them anyway since maybe it's somehow VIN dependent, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Yes I just watched for the second time his comments on seats during the shareholders meeting but it's not clear to me if he meant that the new seats were going to be an option or if they were going to be standard. My sense is that Tesla is modifying and improving the standard seats significantly (a process which has already started) and that there will be am completely new and optional sports seat later this year. Both the improved standard and new optional seat will be able to be installed in all existing cars.

At least that is my guess.

After looking at this thread again this morning, I called Kathi at the Seattle Service Center to schedule having it done. I called to ask if I could get the seat fix prior to a longer trip later in the month. After she investigated, she called me back and suggested I share her findings here on TMC:

1) Seat retrofits are not universal, like the titanium underbody fix.
2) Seat retrofits will be performed on an as needed basis, based on customer request. Driver's seats only.
3) Seat retrofits are covered by warranty, and take about 3 hours.
4) As has been reported, it involves adjusting 2 springs in the center of the seat.

As we know, not all Tesla workers get the same memo, but she called corporate, so this is the latest, at least here in Seattle. YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I just watched for the second time his comments on seats during the shareholders meeting but it's not clear to me if he meant that the new seats were going to be an option or if they were going to be standard. My sense is that Tesla is modifying and improving the standard seats significantly (a process which has already started) and that there will be am completely new and optional sports seat later this year. Both the improved standard and new optional seat will be able to be installed in all existing cars.

At least that is my guess.

When Elon was asked about it in the Q&A, he thought for a moment, rolled his eyes, and said, yes, there is a "seat....thing". It was my impression from watching that there will be temporizing fixes for current cars (such as described in my post above) and further refinements of the seats going forward. At least they know the quality of the seats is an issue. Time will tell how they address it fully.

Any other folks recently had this 'fix' that can comment on the upgrade?

I had it done on mine recently. It is a little more comfortable, but it may or may not be very noticeable, depending the amount of personal "cushioning" the driver has built in. (I'm slightly overweight, but all my fat in in my belly, I don't have very much rump padding)

It's hard to describe exactly, but previously it felt a little like I was sitting on a "flat surface" under the seat. Now it is more contoured, which feels better.