Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Heater Question in V11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I just got updated to 2021.44.5.6 from 2021.36.8.10.

I'm not the biggest fan of this update. I been playing around with the HVAC system. Is there any way to turn on only the seat heaters? Every time I try it forces me to turn on my the HVAC as well.

Thank you,

Reactions: GSP
Hey all, I just got updated to 2021.44.5.6 from 2021.36.8.10.

I'm not the biggest fan of this update. I been playing around with the HVAC system. Is there any way to turn on only the seat heaters? Every time I try it forces me to turn on my the HVAC as well.

Thank you,
By far the most frustrating thing about the new update for me. Then to turn seat heaters off, or to even see what they're set to, you have to turn climate back on, then seat heaters off, then climate off. Terrible. Tesla even recommends using seat heater instead of climate to save energy.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but is there a way to recommend that we are able to click the HVAC settings without turning them on?
It appears the only way is by voice command. The downside to this is that you can't see what they're set at without opening/turning on climate. Also that the passenger can't turn adjust their w/o opening climate. The old seat icons were so much easier than voice command.

I have found the new auto setting for seat heaters to be brilliant! It has been in the 20's F here and the seat heaters have maintained perfect temp syncing to the cabin temp.
What do you mean by “perfect temp syncing to the cabin temp”? The seat heaters put out constant heat (at 1 of 3 levels), while the cabin heat (and a/c - cool) is set to reach and maintain a temperature. The change in the UI is one of many weird/backward steps, almost every other car with seat heaters (which now seems to be most of them) allows separate control of cabin temp and seat heaters. Bizarre UI decision.

By far the most frustrating thing about the new update for me. Then to turn seat heaters off, or to even see what they're set to, you have to turn climate back on, then seat heaters off, then climate off. Terrible. Tesla even recommends using seat heater instead of climate to save energy.
Is there a good way for us to voice all these concerns to Tesla to get them rectified?

What do you mean by “perfect temp syncing to the cabin temp”? The seat heaters put out constant heat (at 1 of 3 levels), while the cabin heat (and a/c - cool) is set to reach and maintain a temperature. The change in the UI is one of many weird/backward steps, almost every other car with seat heaters (which now seems to be most of them) allows separate control of cabin temp and seat heaters. Bizarre UI decision.
What I mean is with the seats set to auto I turned on climate control which in turn turned front seats to 3, when cabin approached set temp they switched to 2 and then finally 1 when set cabin temp was reached. We have been using the auto setting and have not touched anything and have been very comfy. The climate setting has to be on auto along with the seat heater.

I have no problem with automatic seat heating. What I do have a problem with is burying the ability to manually turn on seat heating under extra clicks. What I do have a bigger problem with is now being unable to look at the screen and see their settings. These are inconveniences that further take your eyes from the road, therefore steps backward.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Bumping this. I just received my car and am curious if anybody has found a proper solution. I'm fine with activating HVAC to warm the seat, but I thought I'd be able to turn the fan completely off, but it seems the lowest I can go is to Level 1. That's kind of annoying as I'd rather just have a seat heater and no air blowing.

Before V11 software. I always turned my AC off when I got home. It never failed that I'd always forget something in the car or need to go put something in or take something out and every time I'd open the door the HVAC would power on sounding like a Jet engine spooling up. I didn't think it needed any additional wear and tear just for me to jump in the car for a sec so that's why I liked it off. In fact, I wish Tesla would add some items to save to the Easy Exit Profile like always turning the HVAC OFF, Switching headlights from Auto to OFF, etc. Anyway back on topic, I recently had Tesla Mobile Service out to work on my car and mentioned the silliness of having to turn on the HVAC just to adjust the heat seaters and he said that they are working to resolve all of these issues in another update. He said the problem is they went from an interface that everyone knew and was familiar with to something totally different overnight and that's just a bad way to handle things. They should introduce little UI changes slowly instead. But yeah hopefully soon we will get another update where they can fix some of these issues.

Reactions: Benito1283
Auto seat heaters, if they work as described above (set lower as approaching temp set point) is a total fail. I intentionally keep the heat set at 65-66, and seat heater on high. I like the contrast, keeps me cool overall, but warm in the back. I just like the difference (there's a whole book about this effect, explains why people like hot tubs on cold days, jumping in the pool after a sauna). Many people like temperature contrasts more than perfect steady state. This is the joy of seat heaters in the winter. (but I keep them on high year round, keeps my back from seizing up).

And it seems to align with overall energy saving strategy Tesla recommends.

Thermal Delight in Architecture

Reactions: Dysan911
There are quite a few treads expressing frustrations with V11, defogger/defroster and seat warmers are probably the most common complaints. I would add the night color scheme for navigation - secondary streets are invisible.
As for setting seat warmers on Auto - MS don’t have that option. Also, in general, the automated settings in Tesla are pretty bad: auto wipers are unusable; auto high beams are erratic; AP has fantom braking…
But we have Sonic the Hedgehog to console us :)

I have turned off the "auto" seat heater function dozens of times but it keeps turning itself back on. Super frustrating on top of the other issues mentioned above.

I've also noticed that it'll be like 60° out and the interior is set to 72° … and we feel nothing but cold air blowing. I can only rectify it by pinching the heat way up or by manually turning off the AC. Shouldn't this be smarter?

Use voice commands.
“My butt is cold” etc..
Voice commands have been discussed ad nauseam. They are not replacement for the GUI.

In 2022.12.1 you have the option to drag the seat warmers to the quick launcher. It is very weird/cumbersome compared to V10 but it allows you to turn them on/off without touching the HVAC (in most cases). For the rears you have to go through the HVAC.