Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Height (Compared to Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound strange, but other than having to lower myself to get into the 3, I’m more comfortable sitting lower to the ground.

I know the Y is higher up, which is easier to get into, but I’m not a fan of sitting so high and upright.

Does anyone know the height difference in the drivers seat from the 3 to the Y? It looks like there’s a platform on the Y making it higher?

Attachments

• C424DD8B-A9D9-4B3A-A680-8CE910743217.png
    C424DD8B-A9D9-4B3A-A680-8CE910743217.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,106
Reactions: David Sowden
This may sound strange, but other than having to lower myself to get into the 3, I’m more comfortable sitting lower to the ground.

I know the Y is higher up, which is easier to get into, but I’m not a fan of sitting so high and upright.

Does anyone know the height difference in the drivers seat from the 3 to the Y? It looks like there’s a platform on the Y making it higher?
You might want to be a bit more specific with your question. Are you asking about the difference between the M3 and MY seat heights relative to the ground or relative to the floor of each car? Depending on your reference, the answer is different since the MY frame is higher off the ground than the M3.

You might want to be a bit more specific with your question. Are you asking about the difference between the M3 and MY seat heights relative to the ground or relative to the floor of each car? Depending on your reference, the answer is different since the MY frame is higher off the ground than the M3.
Both seats in lowest position on Model 3 and Y...

Height from concrete to the base of seat (for both vehicles).

Height from floor of vehicle to the bottom of the seat (for both vehicles).

My wife has a M3P with 20” wheels and I have a MYP where I swapped out the stock 21” wheels for 20” wheels (this lowers the frame height above the ground slightly from the stock MYP configuration). I made measurements in both cars with the seats,
1) set to lowest position
2) set to farthest back position (since seat height drops slightly as it moves from forward to back)
3) measured to highest point of seat (on the sides near the front of each seat)

Here are the measurements I got under those conditions.
Height from seat to floorboard
- M3: 7.0"
- MY: 12.5"
Height from seat to ground
- M3: 20.5"
- MY: 26.5"

Note that all of the absolute measurements probably have about a 1/2 deg measurement error range. But the measurements relative to each other should be pretty accurate since I was careful to use the same measurement method in both cases.

There's not a platform but instead there are two risers under each front seat of the MY that bring the seat up 5" or so higher off the floorboard than the M3. This has the side benefit of providing significantly more foot room for passengers in the rear.

I do feel getting into the MY is quite a bit easier than the M3 and I also feel like I’m sitting more upright in the MY than the M3. If relative seat height is very important to you, consider finding a place where you can sit in a MY to get a feel for the difference.

Last edited:
My wife has a M3P with 20” wheels and I have a MYP where I swapped out the stock 21” wheels for 20” wheels (this lowers the frame height above the ground slightly from the stock MYP configuration). I made measurements in both cars with the seats,
2) set to farthest back position (since seat height drops slightly as it moves from forward to back)

Note that all of the absolute measurements probably have about a 1/2 deg measurement error range. But the measurements relative to each other should be pretty accurate since I was careful to use the same measurement method in both cases.

There's not a platform but instead there are two risers under each front seat of the MY that bring the seat up 5" or so higher off the floorboard than the M3. This has the side benefit of providing significantly more foot room for passengers in the rear.

I do feel getting into the MY is quite a bit easier than the M3 and I also feel like I’m sitting more upright in the MY than the M3. If relative seat height is very important to you, consider finding a place where you can sit in a MY to get a feel for the difference.
Thanks! You hit the nail on the head.

So the risers under the seat on the Y is about 5 inches?

Is there any way you could take pictures of the waist band area of the Y drivers seat (on both sides)? Trying to see where the waistband portion of the seat belt starts (on the side closest to the door) and how high the piece is that it snaps into (on the right side).

For some reason, the waistband on higher vehicles feel too snug on me, and the 3 wasn’t. Hoping the architecture of the waistband is similar between both models.

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head.

So the risers under the seat on the Y is about 5 inches?

Is there any way you could take pictures of the waist band area of the Y drivers seat (on both sides)? Trying to see where the waistband portion of the seat belt starts (on the side closest to the door) and how high the piece is that it snaps into (on the right side).

For some reason, the waistband on higher vehicles feel too snug on me, and the 3 wasn’t. Hoping the architecture of the waistband is similar between both models.
Yes, the risers are about 5” high. The enclosed photo shows the 5” riser height plus another 3” to the bottom of the underside of the seat. Also enclosed are photos of the seatbelt waistbands and driver's seats for the MY and the M3.

Even though I think the front seat designs (not including the risers) for the MY and the M3 are about the same, I don’t feel the waistband is tighter on the MY than the M3. I believe Tesla took the higher seat into account when they designed the seatbelt placement for the MY so it feels about the same to me as the M3.

MY Front Seat Risers:
MY Risers.jpeg

MY Waistband:
MY Waistband.jpeg

M3 Waistband:
M3 Waistband.jpeg

MY Driver Seat Viewed from Top of Steering Wheel:
MY Driver Seat.jpeg

M3 Driver Seat Viewed from Top of Steering Wheel:
M3 Driver Seat.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ghsnick!
Yes, the risers are about 5” high. The enclosed photo shows the 5” riser height plus another 3” to the bottom of the underside of the seat. Also enclosed are photos of the seatbelt waistbands and driver's seats for the MY and the M3.

Even though I think the front seat designs (not including the risers) for the MY and the M3 are about the same, I don’t feel the waistband is tighter on the MY than the M3. I believe Tesla took the higher seat into account when they designed the seatbelt placement for the MY so it feels about the same to me as the M3.

MY Front Seat Risers:
View attachment 573471

MY Waistband:
View attachment 573478

M3 Waistband:
View attachment 573474

MY Driver Seat Viewed from Top of Steering Wheel:
View attachment 573480

M3 Driver Seat Viewed from Top of Steering Wheel:
View attachment 573476
Phew! I feel a lot better about my purchase now. Those last two shots were perfect.

I noticed in the SUV we have now, the waistband portion that starts on the drivers door side, is coming out of the floor...making it really snug when it gets to my waist. The Y and 3 seats look exactly the same...which is good news for me.

Thanks for taking the pictures!

Reactions: spsheridan

This is the reason I decided to get a Model Y to replace my Model 3. Thank you for this helpful info!