Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat memory now part of Tech Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver profiles now part of tech package, not leather seats -- Confirmed

Looks like they may be moving seat memory from the leather seats to the tech package:

Seat memory has been removed from the leather seats on the Options & Pricing page.

Seat memory has been added to the tech package on the Design Studio.

Seat memory has not yet been added to the tech package on the Options & Pricing page. No doubt they are a bit overwhelmed trying to get all the website changes synched.

Edited post title to reflect confirmation from Tesla on April 4. See my detailed post below. Mods - maybe you could edit tread title too

Last edited:
I hope thats applied to existing cars with Textile + Tech package!

Seriously!!! I would really love that. My other half's annoyed I didn't get leather for this reason. To me, it's a tech-type feature, so I hope it doesn't require any hardware changes, and that they roll this out as a software update to existing Tech Pkg owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they may be moving seat memory from the leather seats to the tech package:

(...etc.)

BTW good catch, ddruz. I haven't looked at Design Studio in a while. ;-)

I sure hope that doesn't mean I won't get seat memory now that I've finalized without the tech package. It's very frustrating trying to make financial decisions based on inaccurate and changing information. I accept that in the stock market but not when buying a car.

This was part of the New Years price increase. The cloth seats became 12 way adjustable and got heat. So Tesla only has one seat now, and it either gets wrapped in leather or cloth. And as a result they all got memory.

They couldn't really give seat memory for the existing cloth seats because I assume they lack any sort of encoder or positioning system. There could be some horrible work arounds but not in a consumer product.

I called them last night after I saw that and from what I was told that since the upgrade to the 12 way heated seats last year the memory was always included in the tech package. So if you have one coming with cloth seats and the tech package (like myself) you will have memory.

So Tesla only has one seat now, and it either gets wrapped in leather or cloth. And as a result they all got memory.

Apparently not quite precise. The textile seats only get memory with the Tech Package.

The question becomes whether the leather seats without the Tech Package now do not have memory. It is no longer listed on the Options & Pricing page.

Last edited:
ah yes, the upgraded textile seats mean all are the same, still driver profiles have more than seat memory. When I switch drivers with my wife, changing the side mirrors, steering wheel, creep, etc settings all add up, the 'seat' part is mostly just way forward/back between us, the easiest of the set to do quickly.

I hope thats applied to existing cars with Textile + Tech package!

Does that mean it should be REMOVED from cars that have leather and no tech package? :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

So, just to be clear: I know there is memory for the DRIVERs seat, but what about the FRONT PASSENGER? How do you recall the setting for passenger? Am I missing something? (granted most of my time is spent in the drivers seat).

There are no settings for the passenger, only the driver.

Attempting to get clarity on this issue I emailed Walter Franck, ace Tesla rep, on Apr 3 asking:

-- Is seat memory now available via the tech package regardless of textile or leather seats?
-- If someone orders leather seats without the tech package do they no longer get seat memory?
-- When did the change come about for people configuring their cars?

Here is his Apr 4 reply:
You are correct. Going forward, driver profiles (memory seats and memory mirrors) will be part of the Tech package. All seat options (textile and leather) will have 12-way power adjustments and heat included as a standard feature.

For new orders: Even with Nappa leather, the tech package will be required for memory functions. This change is new to our updated reservation and purchase process that was released earlier this week.

Thus going forward driver profile memory comes with the tech package, not the leather seats.

The change appears to be effective with all new orders as of April 1. According to this reply only cars with tech ordered after April 1, whether leather or textile, will have driver profile memory. I infer, however, that leather seat cars without tech ordered before the April 1 change will still come with driver profile memory. And, as posted above, some textile cars with tech reserved after Jan 1 may also receive driver profile memory as a non-advertised bonus.

IMO this is a brilliant change. The Tech Package is a pricey at $3750 and this beefs up its value. Textile seats will now have all options available to them that leather seats do. Very few people will likely pass on leather that would have gotten it before the change and those that do will have a stronger incentive to pay even more for the tech package.