Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a real disaster for Tesla if it weren't. To think: Leather seats and posts unraveling within two weeks of deliveries! This could be a major ding for Tesla in terms of quality control.

True that ... I am also thinking of what the cost would be to fix this for them ... as we mentioned, any minor hiccup in a cash flow system in this fledgling company could also ding them where it hurts ...

True that ... I am also thinking of what the cost would be to fix this for them ... as we mentioned, any minor hiccup in a cash flow system in this fledgling company could also ding them where it hurts ...

They also have quite a few service people and service centers on the payroll. Not a whole lot of mechanical service needed for another year, but in the meantime, they'll be busy with retrofits and rework over the next 6-9 months, while the kinks are worked out.

Center Console installs
Cubby Installs
Lighted visor retrofits
Pano roof shade retrofits
Installation of Jump Seats
Side leather pillar wear?
other warranty items..

It's not apparent what kind of relatively easy retrofit solution is possible. If it takes a redesign of the post, then it can get quite costly.

But Tesla definitely should tackle this problem quickly while there aren't too many Model S out yet.

That spot looks like it gets rubbed by the seat beat and a person's butt on entering/exiting. And it sticks out.

Awkward to cover, but might need some plastic there. Terrible to replace. A redesign does look like a good idea.

An observation….it seems like Tesla "froze" the interior design at least a year ago; the interior basically unchanged since the October 2011 Fremont factory event. This abnormal wear can be lumped in with the rest of the interior issues that were identified long ago (cup holder placement, no door storage, missing rear storage, etc). This will all be resolved once Tesla begins getting cash flow.

So, I stopped by the Tesla Store in Skokie, IL today. It was opened Friday. They have a Signature Series red with white leather on static display (VIN 5YJSAAP6CFR00110). The seat posts/B-pillars/whatever did not look that bad, although they did show more wear and tear compared to other areas. Attached are my photos.

Passenger Side
View attachment 10502

Driver Side

DSC_4788.JPG
DSC_4789.JPG
DSC_4790.JPG

I'm pretty sure that the company that supplies the seats rents space at the Fremont plant and finishes the seats there (finished seats take up a lot of volume & more expensive to ship than flat parts).

That said, hopefully Tesla is seeing these pics & is able to get this corrected quickly (if not already corrected). No doubt this is a warranty repair if it occurs.

Our car is just over a week old, but I don't see any wear there.

I tried getting in and out of the car, and I didn't touch it. But then my legs are kind of short. I notice that if I scoot the seat back all the way, it does go a ways behind that post, so somebody with long legs would be a lot more likely to hit it.

I tried getting in and out of the car, and I didn't touch it. But then my legs are kind of short. I notice that if I scoot the seat back all the way, it does go a ways behind that post, so somebody with long legs would be a lot more likely to hit it.
Yep, and display cars often end up with their seats all the way back, too, so I think you're much more likely to see this type of wear there.

Our car is just over a week old, but I don't see any wear there.

So, me. We'll see how bad it is once I get mine and what, if anything, Tesla would do about it if it does become a problem. I'd hope they'd rectify it, but if they didn't, this would be one thing I wouldn't be TOO pissed about.

The showroom car here in norway had noticable wear in this spot as well when I saw it for the second time yesterday. Makes me start planning on how to add some padding in that area. It looked quite ugly on such a new an pretty car. Should be easy to avid with some padding though.