Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No wear here so far. I definitely bumped the B pillar every time when I first got that car. Now, I am aware of it and get in and out of the car to avoid rubbing it. It's subconscious now. Teach yourself early, and you will be fine.

Went to the DC store last week with a friend that was interested in seeing the car. The car on display, which has 2600 miles on it, has excessive wear on all 4 corners. In addition, the covering over the pillar between the driver seat and rear driver seat was falling off. Turned off my friend, who said they need to redesign this before he considers the car. He is not tall, less than 6 feet, but said he had difficulty getting into the car without rubbing against the posts. Told the store that it is not a good selling point to have a car on display with these problems.

I understand the issue, but just as a quick counterpoint for those of you who are really concerned about this- I have zero wear sitting first and lifting each leg in. I am 6'2" and have to put my size 13/14s in 1 at a time (not a Tesla design flaw, just can't open any car door wide enough in a regular parking space ;) ). The car has had over 60 drivers, has over 8000 miles on it and is 4+mo old. Not saying this doesn't happen, just that somehow it hasn't happened at all on mine so might just be other people being careful- certainly not my family...

I understand the issue, but just as a quick counterpoint for those of you who are really concerned about this- I have zero wear sitting first and lifting each leg in. I am 6'2" and have to put my size 13/14s in 1 at a time (not a Tesla design flaw, just can't open any car door wide enough in a regular parking space ;) ). The car has had over 60 drivers, has over 8000 miles on it and is 4+mo old. Not saying this doesn't happen, just that somehow it hasn't happened at all on mine so might just be other people being careful- certainly not my family...

Reading this thread I am left wondering if it's possible that some of the b pillars coming apart just aren't put together as well as the ones that aren't (seams coming apart)? Just a thought. Regardless if I am right or wrong, the area most certainly needs a plastic or metal cover. That is a surprising oversight.

I'm afraid this is one of the prices paid by early adopters. Let the future Model S (version 2.0 +) owners forever appreciate your sacrifices. ;)

Ease of entry and exit from the driver seat - are there any concerns or facts as to whether it is easier or more difficult than other sedan cars. How does it compare to a MB S class? When checking it out at the Tesla store it seemed awkward

Create an "exit" profile to adjust the steering wheel and seats for easy egress. My guess is that eventually Tesla will push software to do this when the car shuts down.

Create an "exit" profile to adjust the steering wheel and seats for easy egress. My guess is that eventually Tesla will push software to do this when the car shuts down.

Good idea. My current ICE has an easy exit option that I can select with a button, or program to activate when the car is in Park. I've never used it because I find it easier with the seat and wheel where they are when I drive.

I don't notice any issues getting in or out. If you noticed this at the store it's probably because you hadn't taken the time to adjust seat & steering wheel to your desired preferences.

To stay on topic, 1100 miles on my car and I have zero wear on the seat post. I think this issue is limited to very tall people who have their seats way back.

You would have to be pretty short to want your seat far enough forward to not rub the b-pillar getting in/out. And egress routines typically move the seat *back* to make more room not less.

I don't see why we have to ignore the fact that Tesla has a design flaw in the placements of the pillars to the seats. It's still the best car option in existence. No reason to artificially embellish it by ignoring flaws.

I've trained myself to get in and out at an angle to mostly avoid the issue, but I'd rather not have to. I'm not interested in waiting while the electric motors move things around. (or in the extra wear and tear on those systems)

I'm 6'2" and have already noticed wear on the pillar after just 1K miles. Today I put black duct tape over the wear area to prevent additional wear, but I don't see this as an elegant solution. Most of my height is in my legs so the seat is all the way back.

I love the car, but have never experienced a vehicle that is so difficult to get into. Many years ago I owned a Lotus Europa, people would joke that it looked like a "toy car," and even it was easier to get into.

it might be slightly easier if an "exit profile on PARK" included retracting and lifting the steering wheel, but changing the position of the seat wouldn't do much for me.

Last edited: