Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nail polish doesn't sound like a great solution, but a service tech suggested it to me and advised against the black duct tape that I had used. He also suggested 'Gaffers Tape" because it doesn't leave any residue.

When I pointed out how frayed the leather on the pillar/post had become on the cars in the showroom, he noted that "constantly rubbing against the threads causing it to fray is not a warrantable repair. It took over 100k people going in and out of those cars before they started to fray."

As noted above, mine started to fray with only 1K miles on it. I'm leaning toward having a upholstery shop make a custom cover for the area or having a plastic frabricator mold a clear cover. Maybe SoftAuthor at Teslaccessories.com needs another project.

Took a close look at the sections on our S, and it is showing a little bit of wear on the driver side while the passenger is not. I do hang my cell phone from left jeans pocket, so it might be getting some bump from that. Might be something else too. Not much wear but it is there. The car has been driven almost daily since Oct 31, has 4254 miles on it.

So I used the clear nail polish on it. It smooths out the textures of the leather, looks a little shiny while wet. After 15m still shiny, but dry. Looking directly at it, not a very good look but I think marginally better than tape.

Took a close look at the sections on our S, and it is showing a little bit of wear on the driver side while the passenger is not. I do hang my cell phone from left jeans pocket, so it might be getting some bump from that. Might be something else too. Not much wear but it is there. The car has been driven almost daily since Oct 31, has 4254 miles on it.

So I used the clear nail polish on it. It smooths out the textures of the leather, looks a little shiny while wet. After 15m still shiny, but dry. Looking directly at it, not a very good look but I think marginally better than tape.
When I was given a test drive by Kishdude, I took note of getting in and out of the car to see if I interacted with the post. My normal entry/exit does not. I'm 5'8, so I guess my US standards, short. Perhaps one of the rare occasions where being short is a good thing haha!

What might help would be if the steering wheel would move out of the way while entering and leaving the car, providing more room for entry & exit.

I've had my car for only a few days, and trying to establish a pattern of not rubbing the post (which I did on my old Lexus - and the post showed wear over time).

Okay . . . I tried the clear nail polish and found that there's a bit of a shine on the black leather, but it looks fine. BUT, when I tried it on the tan leather, the nail polish stained the tan leather to a darker brown - not good! Glad I didn't use much of the stuff.

Now, I've got some gaffers tape and think that it is a great option. It sticks nicely, cuts cleanly, wears well, and leaves no residue.

I REALLY wish that Tesla would take responsibility for what is CLEARLY a deign flaw.

What about going to a upholsterer and having them sow patches over these corners so if you do rub the spot constantly it won't tear up the stitching. Might be worth it... just a thought.
It would be a possible solution but the problem stems from the sculptured B pillar that follows the contour of the front door panels.

I think TM would have to redesign both the front door panels and the B pillars to resolve the problem. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MarkR
" It took over 100k people going in and out of those cars before they started to fray."

That guys needs to get a grip on number reality. Let's say the car's been there for 3 months (unlikely). That's more than 1111 people per day. Let's say a 10 hour day. That's 111 people per hour going in and out of that car. That's 2 a minute.

Didn't happen.
Please note that I didn't make the statement about 100k people going in & out before the damaged showed, I was quoting a service manager who appeared to be repeating the 'party line' from TM. I heard the same 100k number at the showroom, but at least the showroom staff appeared embarrassed by the apparent flaw in design.

i brought the S to an upholstery shop who indicated that they could fabricate a cover for the vulnerable area, but the underlying leather would become damaged by the adhesive necessary to affix the patch.

For now the gaffers tape is a great solution - it's black matte surface is match for the finish of the leather and it shows no sign of wear.

I've had my car for almost exactly one month. I can certainly see the results of where I'm scraping on the pillar. I've adjusted to turning sideways, sitting in the seat, then swiveling specifically to avoid hitting the pillar at this point. First car I've had to alter how I get into it to avoid causing damage.

If the pillars had a plastic covering it wouldn't be a problem, which is what other cars I've looked at have on their pillars in similar locations.

Mark, would you be able to post a picture? Thanks!
Per request from ddruz.
image.jpg
The fraying that I noticed was certainly not bad, but I didn't want my S to look like those in the Tesla stores.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 638