Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Gaffers tape is a protective measure to prevent further wear 'til Tesla comes out with a fix? Or, are we gonna drive our brand new car around with tape on the pillar?
Our options appear to be:

1. Gingerly get into the car each time you enter and exit.
2. Fabricate a leather or fabric patch and glue it in place.
3. Fabricate a plastic or aluminum cover to protect the vulnerable edge
4. Use gaffers tape to protect the edge and change the tape any time that it starts to wear.
5. Ride around with a car that looks like $hit.

OR
6. Insist that TM come up with an attractive and sturdy solution for their design error.

I, for one, am writing to GB. As an early adopter, I anticipated a few glitches and am very pleased that there have been so few. BUT as an owner and a stockholder, I can't fathom having cars on the road and in showrooms that are ragged due to poor design.

I, for one, am writing to GB. As an early adopter, I anticipated a few glitches and am very pleased that there have been so few. BUT as an owner and a stockholder, I can't fathom having cars on the road and in showrooms that are ragged due to poor design.

Thanks, keep us posted. This is a solvable problem with the right tools and materials (I'm not talking about gaffers tape!). I had a first gen SLK a long time ago, and recall that had a polished chrome plate at the top of the B pillar. I took it off a few times when messing with speakers and such. Probably cost a $1 to manufacture, but looked very sharp. The same for the wear area on the Model S would be a more complicated shape, but really not difficult for a company with the resources that Tesla has.

While you're at it, MarkR, please ask him how much it will cost to replace the pillar material in 3 years AND which (if any) of the warranty/servicing/service offerings such a replacement is included in. ;)

It seems to me that the correct answer here, until a new design is created, is to just have a metal cap over the areas in question. It should look fine and won't wear (at least, not within my lifetime).

This is the letter that I PM'd to George Blankenship. It might be useful if TMC members sent him PMs with attached photos of the damage to either their cars or the vehicles at local stores. His username is GeorgeB.

George: I love my new car and am glad that I waited the 39 months for its arrival.

As an owner and stockholder, I'm concerned that the brand is being damaged by a minor design flaw that is obviously apparent in showroom and delivered Model S's. When entering or exiting the driver's seat, there is often a rub on the upholstered pillar that separates the front and rears seats.

After three weeks I noticed slight fraying and spoke with the local service manager. It was pretty obvious that he was acquainted with the problem, but he was just as clear that it was "not a warrantable repair." He suggested that clear nail polish would arrest the fraying and that gaffers tape would protect the area from further damage. While I heeded his very practical advice, I didn't perceive it as an elegant solution for a high-end car.

When I was recently in the Scottsdale store, I noticed that both cars were absolutely ragged where the entry/exit wear occurred. Your staff seemed embarrassed by the poor condition of that part of both cars and they pointed out that store cars get a lot of use/abuse.

At 6'2", I drive with the seat all he way back so the potential for contact with the pillar is heightened. I'm sure that shorter/smaller owners have fewer problems.

You may be aware of the numerous posts on TMC regarding an issue that will only become worse over time.

Two suggestions:
1) create an "entry/exit profile" when the driver's side door is opened that raises and retracts the steering wheel allowing more room to maneuver in and out of the car.
2) fabricate a molded cover to protect the wear area on the pillar. I understand that MB had a similar problem with one model and fixed it when they installed a stainless steel cover.

Thanks for considering my input.

Mark Rohde

P.S. I had requested brochures / reprints for a Meet & Greet that my wife and I are hosting next weekend for Tesla enthusiasts - they arrived. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm wondering: how many of you seeing seat post wear are tall?

I'm average height but maybe shorter legs than normal. Either way, my seat is far enough forward that I don't even touch the seat post getting in and out.

I'm wondering: how many of you seeing seat post wear are tall?

I'm average height but maybe shorter legs than normal. Either way, my seat is far enough forward that I don't even touch the seat post getting in and out.

I'm 6' tall and keep the seat pretty far back. I'm a bit perplexed by all of the people reporting wear and tear in this area. I've had my car since October and don't think I've touched that protruding part more than once or twice. For me, getting into the car is like getting into a sports car because it's so low to the ground. So, i turn perpendicular to the car, put my butt down on the seat, and then swing my legs in and slide back into my seat, and never really come close to hitting the post.

I'm not saying that Tesla shouldn't do something to alleviate this issue, because clearly it's something affecting a fair number of owners, but there definitely is a way, no matter how tall you are, to avoid hitting the pillar if you so choose -- it may mean changing the way you enter the car, probably to make it a bit more awkward and cumbersome, but that's the trade-off with avoiding the wear on the b-pillar post.

I got a quick response from Tesla after sending the note to GB:

"Thanks for sharing this valuable feedback and for your continued support of Tesla. George asked that I reply to your message on his behalf.

The pillar between the front and rear doors is called the "B-pillar" and it is indeed an area that receives exaggerated wear. Tesla is aware of the situation and we're evaluating design changes to improve durability. Separately, we are also evaluating a 'convenience entry' mode, which as you suggest, would move the seat back and the steering column up to ease entry and exit.

As a temporary solution, I recommend creating your own 'entry/exit' driver profile where you save the seat and steering column position to the best entry/exit position for you and your spouse. This solution may even offer better ergonomics for your specific situation than a generic Tesla setting. You have 10 profile spots available so using one for 'entry/exit' is hopefully not an inconvenience.

Thanks again for your support. "

Looks like TM is aware and working to find a solution. Classic Tesla responsiveness!

I think that's what my previous car did - move the steering wheel forward - and the seat back - and that almost guaranteed the post would be hit on the way in and out.

Will experiment with an entry/exit profile and see what works best...

This projection is a really bad design. To keep from wearing this area, I enter the car by opening the door wide, sitting down first with my legs out of the car, then swing my legs in. This solves the problem but takes an extra second to enter the car.

This projection is a really bad design. To keep from wearing this area, I enter the car by opening the door wide, sitting down first with my legs out of the car, then swing my legs in. This solves the problem but takes an extra second to enter the car.

My garage is a bit tight, and I usually end up "squeezing" in to the car with the door barely wide enough to fit me through. Guess I better prepare and buy some tape.

IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2116.jpg
thth

Wear from vehicle after several thousand people have gotten in the car.

Here is something that may work that TM could do to remedy the problem without doing any major changes.

TM could have the both front seats move forward just beyond the troubled spot on the B-pillar whenever entering and move back to the driver's desired seating position just before departure or slide forward when exiting the S.

I know from people it may cause an issue but it's a simple and quick solution via a download. Just a thought...

you know, i have just naturally taken to ingressing by sitting butt first and swinging legs in, this is how i have gotten into several cars in the past like 911s, etc. smallish sports cars. works for me and i confess i haven't even been aware of rubbing the pillar or anything odd. i'm going to pay attention the next time i get in and see... fwiw.