Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat rail trim cover - how to replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
My weekend is not coming to smooth ending here….

I was exiting my ‘21 MY and my pant leg snagged on the seat rail trim piece, and partially snapped it (about 6 inches was pulled apart).

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove and replace this part? Seems they are available on eBay from salvaged vehicles. I just can’t find any videos of how to remove the piece. It’s snug, and may require removing or at least loosening the seat. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The part looks like those below (sorry, I can’t resize the image on mobile)…

B8EC5841-E027-468D-AAA3-FC8EA587D7B7.jpeg

Edit: I did find this thread which shows the seat out and the rail covers still attached.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me last winter. Do you use Easy Entry Mode? I broke a 4 inch piece of the plastic protector off when it got caught in my pant leg as I exited driver's seat. Tesla replaced it while they changed the driver's seat motor. Just caught my leg pant again today in it. I cant find a plastic cover anywhere that covers those angular rail jagged ends . All the third party vendors sell is back of the front seat rail end covers. The Model Y has been out a while. We can't be the only people experiencing this?

This pant leg cuff problem seems unique to the model Y seats.

There is currently an eBay seller with possibly a 3D printed solution. Seller says it is to cover the track, preventing accumulation of dirt and debris, however the 3D part looks to install from the font and cover the hook that grabs the pant leg.

1674418559473.png

Interesting, Tesla Service Manual for Y, calls for removing rail bolts before removing front rail covers, however for Model 3, covers can be removed without removing rail bolts. Apparently the covers for Model 3 are different than the covers for Model Y.

1674419331589.png

I'm sure the price of new covers are much less from a Tesla Service Center, than what they sell used on eBay.