Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat spacing from FWD of 6 seat different than 5 or 7 seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I thought I may have seen a mention that the 6 seat middle row is closer to the middle than where the outer seats are on the 7 (and maybe 5 seater?). Can anyone confirm if the middle row is further in from the FWD vs the non 6 seat?

I can't confirm that but do remember a post mentioning that. I am doubtful that Tesla would make a different version of the second row outer seats, or a different seat post/mounting, for the 6 seat vs the 7 seat configuration. I suspect the lack of a middle seat in the 6 seat configuration is a subjective impression and that a quantitative measurement will reveal there is no difference.

Probably my post about the extreme cold driving you are talking about. I am referencing the difference between the 6 seat I ordered and test drove before purchasing and the loaner 7 seat I am currently driving. When sitting in the 6 seat I didn't remember my shoulders being up against the door, when I sat in the back of the 7 seater, my shoulder was touching the door, not uncomfortable where I felt awkward and cramped, but certainly tighter than I had remember from my 6 seat test drive. If I ever get my car, I will verify and report back.

When sitting in the 6 seat I didn't remember my shoulders being up against the door, when I sat in the back of the 7 seater, my shoulder was touching the door, not uncomfortable where I felt awkward and cramped, but certainly tighter than I had remember from my 6 seat test drive.

When I took my test drive in a 6 seater (granted this was almost a year ago) one of the issues I had was my shoulder was up against the door and then there was a cavern beside me. It sort of felt like being on the edge of a cliff and someone stands right behind you and makes you feel like they are pushing you towards the brink even though they aren't crowding you. You'd be much less anxious if there was either something between you and the cliff or nobody behind you.

It's the main reason I ordered a 7 seater - the middle seat provides a way for second row passengers to brace themselves, especially during hard cornering. The experience made me remark that they should move the seats inward on the 6 seater. Perhaps more recent 6 seaters have done that, but in my test drive experience back in February of last year, it didn't appear to be that way.

(If the back seat passengers aren't hanging on for dear life, you're doing it wrong...) ;)

The spacing for the 6-seater and the outer two seats on the 7-seater is the same relative to the FWD's. If you only need the 6-seat config, I would recommend that. First, its a little cheaper; Second, the passengers in the second row will feel less cramped; Third, the 3rd row passengers (when used) will have more space in the isle between the seats; and Forth, the middle second row seat's head rest restricts the rear view visibility somewhat. Hope that helps (MHO).