TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seat Wear & Discoloration

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by smsprague, Dec 29, 2014.

1. smsprague

smsprague Member

After 6 months and 7K miles, I am a little disappointed with the seat wear and discoloration on my tan leather seats. Tesla service center said this was common and is color transferred from clothing. Tried Lexol and Griots cleaner - both helped. Since this is my daily driver and trip car thinking about ordering Wet Okole seat covers so it does not get worse.

Anyway be careful if you have tan seats. Never had any issues with over cars leather. Never had tan though only gray in my Acura.

aefb511e2a6d2605d6f634261faedda6.jpg
    44f4cf1af7836ce255012d31c4e14985.jpg

0665acc4da9549f7c270f96b08ebf82c.jpg

acd2176fc07e101dc628a2b6f3c3d12d.jpg

1f0ec15cd4dedc15a2bb4c1c85ffbe48.jpg

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

It's possible that the clothes you wear now with your Model S were not the same clothes with your other vehicles. Since the discoloration appears limited to the back seat support, it would appear to be a shirt/blouse or jacket. I have a very expensive Italian leather sofa that also is discolored due a cheap pair of blue jeans.

3. smsprague

smsprague Member

Who knows - but good point - could have happened

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My car with tan seats has almost two years and 39,000 miles of use. So far, no excessive wear nor any color transfer from clothing whatsoever. I do wear blue jeans frequently.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

This is common with lighter color leathers. A pro detailer can probably remove any remaining dye that you can't get off yourself.

6. smsprague

smsprague Member

mknox - good you know - I only wear jeans occasionally - all my jeans are Lucky Brand

7. smsprague

smsprague Member

Pro detailer is good idea

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have the same problem. I think it comes from my belt. I only have discoloration at my beltline. But I also had the same problem with my 2007 Acura RDX, which mysteriously went away after a while. Grey interior.

I have had no success at removing it from my MS. I even had the interior OptiCoated upon delivery. So any hints would be great! I've only had her for 3 months. So it is something I need to figure out.

9. Glitch

Glitch Member

have seen this with different brands, Volvo, Porsche, Audi, VW all with light leather have with a few months the darker spots on it. This is the reason I just have chosen a black interior as that avoids those issues.

10. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Agreed that this is usually caused by black belts and other dark colored animal leather products. The dyes transfer especially if driving for long periods where the material is warmed by your body heat. Seat heaters amplify this.

11. smsprague

smsprague Member

Good news using Griots cleaner and a magic eraser the stains are pretty much gone - so no more belts on the car