Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt Buckle Positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Took delivery of a Model S last Friday (budget be damned) - amazing vehicle.

I have a couple of issues that i need service attention on (automatic wiping mode always on and door trim is misaligned) but my question to this forum is about the seat buckle position: I have never been in a vehicle where it was so hard to buckle the seatbelt and i'm wondering whether it is an issue with my Tesla alone or its just the way it is.

The problem is not with the buckle per-se, more with the positioning, Basically I feel that the angle and position of the buckle make it hard to slot the belt in without turning around to look at the buckle and use the my left hand to insert the belt. The buckle itself is really close to the seat edge and something about the angle means that it doesn't 'naturally' slot in, hence having to turn around to be able to visualise the belt and guide it into the buckle.

Obviously this is a minor niggle, but does this sound like other Tesla or something i should enquire about with service?

Thanks!

Completely agree with the position of the latch. It's just not in an easy to each location. Perhaps it's partially due to my seat adjustment. Another complaint is the "feel" of the buckle itself, very metallic with an "80's" feel to it...
For comparison, the buckle and latch in the MX is much better both in function and feel of materials.

Same issue with my new 90D. For the time being, I'm keeping my fingernails short so as not to start a wear spot in the leather from pushing in the buckle.

I've also found that pushing in with your thumb near the seat side of the buckle makes it easier.

Thanks for responses, looks like it's not just me. It's not seat positioning because my passengers have had the same issues on various seat positions. It's funny to watch them struggle in surprise.

As Haxster says above there is a bit of a technique which is to push on one side, basically changing the angle but it requires a bit of dexterity and is going to take a while before it feels natural.

2017-01-04_CIMG1491.jpg
2017-01-04_CIMG1492.jpg
2017-01-04_CIMG1498.jpg
Seat belt buckle problem solved (I hope)...

Amazon.com: INHDBOX New Safety Seat Belt Extension Belt Adapter Belt Buckle Insert Clip for VW, BMW, Audi: Automotive

This doesn't seem that great for safety. Belt will not longer get tight over your body and that end where the belt goes into the latch is now going to push into your body.

It just brings the latch up 3" to the level found in many other cars. In use, it still sits along side your body and lets the lap/shoulder belt get just as tight as without the extension.

My only concern is how well it can hold up to the stress of an impact. Hopefully, I'll never find out.