Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt 'burn-in' on white seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my new car was left out in the sun for 7 weeks while at service having delivery defects fixed.

I got it back and found that the seatbelts have burnt in / stained the white seats...

I have tried water, griots garage interior cleaner, iso alcohol, etc... Doesn't remove it the least bit.

Does anyone know how to get this out?

I reported it to service right away asking if they could fix it and they told me the problem is not covered under warranty.

I remember them stating this was the most stain resistant and premium material an extra grand could buy... I guess they didn't test it with their own seat belts?

View attachment 463955
Sorry this is happening to you. I feel your frustration. I am having an issue with my driver’s seat interior. Your situation clearly looks like a warranty issue. The shape of it can’t be explained by an outside substance.

My interior problem goes from seam to seam. It’s smooth to the touch with the rest of the seat. Maybe the seat warmers are under there? Anyways, pic attached and I feel your pain. They seem to automatically respond that interior is not covered under warranty unless the issue was present when you purchased the car. My car isn’t even a year old and this mark appeared months ago. Will need to pursue formal dispute resolution and you may need to go that route too. Sorry again and good luck.

Attachments

• DCC25AE9-91B1-4E64-8714-F674AA40D0B0.jpeg
    DCC25AE9-91B1-4E64-8714-F674AA40D0B0.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Informative
Reactions: super20g
Will need to pursue formal dispute resolution and you may need to go that route too. Sorry again and good luck.
Yep, I need to go ahead and submit the claim. I have a few issues to submit claims on actually. My backup camera feed has purple and green vertical lines through it at times and they told me that is not covered under warranty. Screen rebooted while in reverse, submitted date and time to service and again, not a warranty issue so they won't look into it. Same with other damage they caused while replacing the battery pack. They told me they could give me an estimate on having the damage fixed that they themselves caused. I am trying not to get involved with suing them but they are not making it easy.

Yep, I need to go ahead and submit the claim. I have a few issues to submit claims on actually. My backup camera feed has purple and green vertical lines through it at times and they told me that is not covered under warranty. Screen rebooted while in reverse, submitted date and time to service and again, not a warranty issue so they won't look into it. Same with other damage they caused while replacing the battery pack. They told me they could give me an estimate on having the damage fixed that they themselves caused. I am trying not to get involved with suing them but they are not making it easy.

I hear you. What a pain and hassle. It should not be this hard getting the help you need. I think I’ll be heading down your route, too. It’s just not right and seems like they are so quick, almost automatic, in their response that something is not covered under warranty. I commend you and will be thinking of you as I move forward too. Sending power vibes your way!

I hear you. What a pain and hassle. It should not be this hard getting the help you need. I think I’ll be heading down your route, too. It’s just not right and seems like they are so quick, almost automatic, in their response that something is not covered under warranty. I commend you and will be thinking of you as I move forward too. Sending power vibes your way!

You can file for arbitration via

https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Demand_for_Arbitration_Form_1.pdf
or
https://www.ncdsusa.org/documents/Tesla Customer Claim Form.pdf

It is non binding. You can still push it through the courts if you are not happy with the award from the arbitrator.

Not my first rodeo with Tesla so let me know if you have any questions.

I don't accept a brush off. If they want to pay multiple arb fees, that is their prerogative.

New Zealand has the Consumer Guarantee Protection Act which means all newly purchased goods whether on sale or not has to last for a realistic time. If the product fails it is to be repaired or replaced free by the seller. An example is a TV or a fridge should last at least 5 years or an Apple iPhone should last 5 years. Sun damage is not covered unless the seller states the product is provided with sun protection which Tesla does state with the glass.
Tesla should have used their own car covers to cover your car while stored at their property over this length of time. If my Tesla is being left outside at the airport for longer than 24 hours I will cover the car with a Tesla Model 3 outdoor cover. I always use Tesla's recommenced products that way if I have a claim against Tesla because their product doesn't do the job as promised I will ask Tesla to fix and they have too under law.

• Informative
Sorry this is happening to you. I feel your frustration. I am having an issue with my driver’s seat interior. Your situation clearly looks like a warranty issue. The shape of it can’t be explained by an outside substance.

My interior problem goes from seam to seam. It’s smooth to the touch with the rest of the seat. Maybe the seat warmers are under there? Anyways, pic attached and I feel your pain. They seem to automatically respond that interior is not covered under warranty unless the issue was present when you purchased the car. My car isn’t even a year old and this mark appeared months ago. Will need to pursue formal dispute resolution and you may need to go that route too. Sorry again and good luck.

Are you referring to that whitish wiggly line?

Any idea what it is?

That would be a tough claim because niavely it looks like "environment" at first glance. It certainly might not be, but that's my knee jerk thought seeing it.

I'd try an expert upholstery place and see what they think and/or a good detailer. It might be an easy fix.

Strange though.

https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Demand_for_Arbitration_Form_1.pdf
or

It is non binding. You can still push it through the courts if you are not happy with the award from the arbitrator.

I don't accept a brush off. If they want to pay multiple arb fees, that is their prerogative.

Right on. This is super helpful to me. Just sent an email to the resolution dept with Tesla. Good luck. Really sorry again that you have multiple issues. Absolutely not ok that you’re getting such a runaround.
Are you referring to that whitish wiggly line?

Any idea what it is?

That would be a tough claim because niavely it looks like "environment" at first glance. It certainly might not be, but that's my knee jerk thought seeing it.

I'd try an expert upholstery place and see what they think and/or a good detailer. It might be an easy fix.

Strange though.

Yep, that line. It’s squiggly but fairly uniform. I thought maybe it was under the seat warmer? Smooth to the touch with the rest of the material. I do hear ya for sure. But I can’t think of a single thing that could’ve caused it aside from a defect with material.

Right on. This is super helpful to me. Just sent an email to the resolution dept with Tesla. Good luck. Really sorry again that you have multiple issues. Absolutely not ok that you’re getting such a runaround.

I have found NCDS to be way more expedient to deal with than AAA for arb cases, so if you haven't filed yet, that is the way I would go. My arb case is coming up, but the seat belt burn in is just an honorable mention in my case.

The response to my claim from Tesla's lawyers is an actual pile of outright lies... I am no lawyer but I don't think the arbitrator will appreciate Tesla's smoke and mirrors bs once I submit my counter.

You wont get a reply back from your email to resolutions@, but they read them. It just shows you followed procedure and made them aware of the situation. Keep good records. If you go through arb, quality exhibits are what you will need...

or

Hey! Any updates on your situation? I went to arbitration Monday 12.9. Waiting to see how it went. Who knows?! I hope your issue(s) are closer to being resolved appropriately.

Hey! Any updates on your situation? I went to arbitration Monday 12.9. Waiting to see how it went. Who knows?! I hope your issue(s) are closer to being resolved appropriately.

Took it the 4+ hr round trip to service yesterday and they said:

"This issue is currently under investigation. The rear seat will not be replaced at this time as the new seat will still be prone to staining. We will reach out when there is a permanent solution for this issue".

I have been reporting this issue to them since end of September... They appear to just be stalling.

I do not have an arb case yet on this specific issue. I still have an arb case on other open issues (they are way past due on paying so an arbitrator can be assigned). Ugh. When that arb case concludes, if they still have not replaced the seats, I will file another one for this issue.

How is yours going?