Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt 'burn-in' on white seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing is they paid 3k+ in arb fees to fight something that is way less than 3k to fix... You might just want to bite the bullet and buy a new seat bottom unfortunately. Probably could find one on eBay cheap enough if that is all you need?

I’m just going to live with it. No one notices it but me. I still disagree with the decision. If there’s a class action, I’ll be in it with y’all : ) Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: super20g
Ok now I see what you're saying, thanks!
Yes you are correct.
So if it's from the seatbelt material itself, then it has to be the dye wicking onto your seat and staining it, which yo've pretty much already established. However I don't think the heat from the sun is a major factor in this happening.
Regardless, it's damage that shouldn't happen and it is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing in my 25 years in this business, and I see, report upon, and solve a LOT of interior issues. Good luck with getting it resolved.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight! Bummer it is such a rare issue evidently cause it makes it that much harder for the mfg to figure out and care to fix... I'll report back if/when it ever gets addressed.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
It looks a lot like water/salt stain line on seats. Wet swimming trunks on seat or sweats?
It does look like that, you’re right. That’s what I thought it was initially, but unfortunately it’s part of the material and doesn’t come off. Lost my arb case with Tesla bc I waited too long to report it. Bummer but valuable lesson learned.

Hi there , I'm new in here. While searching about this issue because my seatbelts also have transferred stain onto the white seats I found this thread. My M3 is always parked in the garage , took ownership end of June '19 and 4months later I already noticed this issue on the rear seats and driver seat right were the seatbelts comes out of and rests on the seat.
Immediately did a service request and was told that it's a known issue. (See image below)
My fear is that they will try to waste time and not repair this issue. I believe it is a manufacturer defect of either the batch of vinyl they used or the seatbelts. Tesla technician said that they are probably trying to figure out which one to replace if not both. But I'm afraid i will be stuck with these stained seats
download_20200109_221610.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Not sure which would be worse, the look of cheesy seat belt covers that will stick out like a sore thumb, or the staining that you can't see unless you move the seat belt.

If you are ok with throwing money at the problem, there are companies that you can send your seat belts and they will change out the belt for you to a different color, such as white. The white seat belts would get dirty easily, but not much different than tan seat belts which are common, so you'd have to watch out for that, but at least it would look good.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Well, I would assume most of the time when you are driving, there's usually no one in the back seat, so what if the belt covers look ugly. Would you rather have better looks and stain the rear seat or have ugly seat belt covers and never get the rear seat stained?

It does not seem to be an issue about seat belts staining the front seats because the seat belts are put away at the sides or behind the front seats and pose no danger to staining front seats.

Hi there , I'm new in here. While searching about this issue because my seatbelts also have transferred stain onto the white seats I found this thread. My M3 is always parked in the garage , took ownership end of June '19 and 4months later I already noticed this issue on the rear seats and driver seat right were the seatbelts comes out of and rests on the seat.
Immediately did a service request and was told that it's a known issue. (See image below)
My fear is that they will try to waste time and not repair this issue. I believe it is a manufacturer defect of either the batch of vinyl they used or the seatbelts. Tesla technician said that they are probably trying to figure out which one to replace if not both. But I'm afraid i will be stuck with these stained seats
View attachment 498476
Hopefully since more people are experiencing and reporting the issue, they will make good on a fix soon. Thank you for your post. Feel free to post a pic of your issue if you have one.

Well, I would assume most of the time when you are driving, there's usually no one in the back seat, so what if the belt covers look ugly. Would you rather have better looks and stain the rear seat or have ugly seat belt covers and never get the rear seat stained?

It does not seem to be an issue about seat belts staining the front seats because the seat belts are put away at the sides or behind the front seats and pose no danger to staining front seats.

If there’s no one in the back seat, then how are you seeing the stains hidden by the seat belt??

smh

If there’s no one in the back seat, then how are you seeing the stains hidden by the seat belt??

smh

I am not sure what you are saying. I was responding to others saying how ugly the seat belt covers are and I said who cares as long as they protect the rear seats from staining. I am not saying whether you can see the stains at the rear seats or not. Once the rear seats are stained whether the seat belt are covering them or not, then you are S.O.L. My point is to avoid the S.O.L.

Peter

I have a similar issue. The seatbelts stained the top of my seats and the back of one. Tesla refuses to cover it under warranty and claims the car seats caused it. They finally offered me 30% off the back seat back in october. I agreed just to get it done and over with but told them they would have to replace the seatbelts because they are the issue. Here it is January and they finally got everything instock but now they want to charge me for the seatbelts. I'm still trying to figure out how the car seats stained the top part of the seat lol. I could see them possibly staining the back of the seat, but the top there is no way. Running a white rag over the belts turns the rag blue. That isn't enough proof to them that it's a defect issue.
IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_7200.JPEG IMG_7201.JPEG

That's the smoking gun right there... proof that it's the dye transferring from the seat belt fabric onto the seat material and staining it. I would remove all seat belts completely from the car and have a detail shop soak them in degreaser and steam clean them thoroughly until no more color comes off on your white rag. Good luck!

I have a similar issue. The seatbelts stained the top of my seats and the back of one. Tesla refuses to cover it under warranty and claims the car seats caused it. They finally offered me 30% off the back seat back in october. I agreed just to get it done and over with but told them they would have to replace the seatbelts because they are the issue. Here it is January and they finally got everything instock but now they want to charge me for the seatbelts. I'm still trying to figure out how the car seats stained the top part of the seat lol. I could see them possibly staining the back of the seat, but the top there is no way. Running a white rag over the belts turns the rag blue. That isn't enough proof to them that it's a defect issue.
View attachment 500556 View attachment 500557 View attachment 500558 View attachment 500560
Thanks for sharing your details. If I was you, I wouldn't pay for anything and instead would file an arbitration case with NCDS (it's easy and no cost), and ask for the belts and stained seats to be replaced under warranty. This has nothing to do with car seats or anything you did... My seatbelt stains were present at 1k miles before I even had anyone riding in the back seats... I have mobile service coming out tomorrow to fix a window control they broke at the last service, and on the service request I directly asked for a date when they will replace my belts/stained seats. This appears to be a small problem for a small subset of vehicles, so they just need to replace the materials and move on with it and quit trying to wiggle out of their responsibility to warranty defective materials...

View attachment 498476
Did service ever respond to your text when you requested a date your issue would be resolved by?

Sofar no luck. I’ll try the attribution case. Hopefully that works. They jacked up the price from $1600 to $2600 to get it fixed now and are Castillo’s flaming an “outside influence”. ‍♂️

Attachments

• 94FBF3D0-C26E-4952-B17B-1B87F7D95ADC.png
    94FBF3D0-C26E-4952-B17B-1B87F7D95ADC.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 248
Sofar no luck. I’ll try the attribution case. Hopefully that works. They jacked up the price from $1600 to $2600 to get it fixed now and are Castillo’s flaming an “outside influence”. ‍♂️
Service is turning into a bunch of dirtbags these days. If you need any help with the arb case, let me know. Sorry you have to go through that, it's pretty ridiculous. I'd like some more people with this issue to post their pictures, at how many miles this was noticed, what has happened since they reported the issue, etc.

I mentioned I had a mobile service appt scheduled last week which also included addressing the seatbelts staining the seats and getting a defined date to have it fixed.

One of the issues was that at the last service center service, they fixed a door rattle and broke the auto up/down window function. It has not worked once since they worked on the door. When the service tech arrived, I came out to greet him, give him the keycard, and demonstrate the window feature failure. Well, he remotely unlocked the car, made a beeline for it, ignored me, got in the car, performed a reset on the window by holding the button down which fixed it, then told me it was working fine and he put that it was working when he arrived. I made a video of me testing the window just minutes before he arrived... What a bunch of losers. I don't even know what to say.

The kicker was that he did not address the rear seat staining and did not document it on the invoice to ensure I didn't have a paper trail. I emailed him, his boss, and the service center manager and... radio silence.

These guys must really love paying 3k in arb fees just to 'stick it to me'...

• Informative
Reactions: Rootbeard7
Still nothing new on my seatbelt stained seats. Latest from them a few weeks ago via service estimate was:

"The resolution for this is still under development and we will happy resolve it for you as soon as our engineering team has a permanent solution."

It's been half a year now...