Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt 'burn-in' on white seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the smoking gun right there... proof that it's the dye transferring from the seat belt fabric onto the seat material and staining it. I would remove all seat belts completely from the car and have a detail shop soak them in degreaser and steam clean them thoroughly until no more color comes off on your white rag. Good luck!
I just picked up my Model 3 with white interior and noticed some initial wicking of seatbelt dye on to the seats. Obviously I want to address this before there is any permanent staining. Is there something I can do at home, or would you recommend taking it to a detailer?

I just picked up my Model 3 with white interior and noticed some initial wicking of seatbelt dye on to the seats. Obviously I want to address this before there is any permanent staining. Is there something I can do at home, or would you recommend taking it to a detailer?
Removing the seatbelts is the best way to ensure that they're not only clean, but thoroughly rinsed of any residue. If you feel confident in that procedure then certainly you could do it yourself.

Just took my car into the SC for another issue and decided to add the burn-in on the seats to the list. They gave me the same explanation. The engineers are working on manufacturing a new seat, so they don't want to replace them right now since it will just happen again. They added my car to a list and said they would fix it once the issue is resolved.

Removing the seatbelts is the best way to ensure that they're not only clean, but thoroughly rinsed of any residue. If you feel confident in that procedure then certainly you could do it yourself.

I ended up just doing the leather shield coating myself. I really should get the belts removed and cleaned so I don't regret it later, but I'm having trouble finding the time/energy to do it!

I’m here looking for updated info too. My June 2021 Model Y is developing these seatbelt marks as well.
From a service report I received in November 2020.

Screenshot 2021-08-29 at 12.51.39.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
Anyone got any update on this? If SC replace it ? I see old posts about Tesla saying they know this is a known issue and looking into it.

I have the same issue on both of my 2022 Model Y with white seat. All from the seat belt :/.

I am about to submit a SC request to see what they say.