Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt chime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine starts up if I press the brake pedal before buckling the seat belt. No chime is heard if I sit down, buckle the seat belt, then press the brake pedal.
This happened to me when I first bought my Model 3. Apparently when I sit down in a the driver seat I put my foot on the brake without even thinking about it (and get rewarded with the chime). I'm more conscious of it now.

I have a very-long-instilled habit of, when I am behind the steering wheel and do not affirmatively want my car to move, having my foot on the brake. Newer cars have been trying to break me of this habit, and it's baffling that we're being trained away from this general policy.

My last car would not engage the steering wheel lock if the door was opened while my foot was on the brake, and the car in Park.

Now I have the (admittedly very cool and utile) Hold mode, and TACC in traffic. It's very strange to me to not manually break until I'm ready for the car to move. I'm getting used to it with TACC though.

Between threads like this and the (to my mind) hyperbole about the PWS waking up everyone on the street when reversing out of one's garage, I'm starting to think that there are a fair number of people on these fora who are extremely sensitive to noise. The seatbelt chime is, to my ear, a relatively low-key "bong" at a pitch low enough to not be piercing or shrill; and at a volume perhaps a third to half of that found in most other cars I've been in.

I guess the habit that I'm in is to immediately put on my seatbelt before doing anything, as I rarely hear the chime. I suppose it's a well learned habit to step on the brake as you enter the vehicle, but considering the car didn't move anywhere on its own the whole time it was unoccupied and the parking brake is set until you hit the brake pedal, I don't think it's a serious issue to sit down in the seat and not immediately hit the brake.

I had a similar useless habit that I continued to do well into the 2000's that probably hadn't been an issue since the 60's: I always turned off the AC before starting the car (because that's what my dad told me to do). That's not even possible with modern cars like the Model 3! Eventually I got used to not turning it off, but it always felt "wrong".

I guess the habit that I'm in is to immediately put on my seatbelt before doing anything, as I rarely hear the chime. I suppose it's a well learned habit to step on the brake as you enter the vehicle, but considering the car didn't move anywhere on its own the whole time it was unoccupied and the parking brake is set until you hit the brake pedal, I don't think it's a serious issue to sit down in the seat and not immediately hit the brake.

I had a similar useless habit that I continued to do well into the 2000's that probably hadn't been an issue since the 60's: I always turned off the AC before starting the car (because that's what my dad told me to do). That's not even possible with modern cars like the Model 3! Eventually I got used to not turning it off, but it always felt "wrong".
For me it's more of a safety thing related to driving manual transmission cars. I'd always hold the clutch down in preparation to start the vehicle, and of course you also must hold the brake before doing so for safety. With ICE cars it's always better to let the engine idle a bit before driving if the engine is cold, so I'd start the vehicle then put my seatbelt on. These old habits are a pain to kick!

Reactions: DopeGhoti
driving manual transmission cars
I think you hit the nail on the head; I drove stick for a long time. As such, being able to turn Creep off was very nice; the car automagically going into Hold as soon as you brake to a stop is downright magical, though I still feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm stopped at an intersection and am deliberately not depressing the brake.

I think you hit the nail on the head; I drove stick for a long time. As such, being able to turn Creep off was very nice; the car automagically going into Hold as soon as you brake to a stop is downright magical, though I still feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm stopped at an intersection and am deliberately not depressing the brake.
Haha I can't trust the hold even after all this time I hover my foot off the brake in case it randomly lets go. Another silly old habit of mine.

Wait, hold comes on automatically for you? I have to press down on the brake.