TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seatbelt Chime

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Astroboy747, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

Hi all,

One thing I would like to bring up is the seat belt chiming system. When you are in park and people get into the back of the car, the seatbelt chimes whenever they sit down or move across seats. This is completely unnecessary in park.
    Also, when you drive off without a seatbelt on and it starts the continual chime, once you slow down and even back in park the chime will continue until you open the door and get out of the car.

These are simple software tweaks. What does everyone else think?

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I kind of agree with the logic as in NSW if you carry a person in the back seat without a seat belt you incur demerit points on your drivers license, so I want to know when someone in the back has not got their belt on. The current software allows me to know easily and I don't start driving until the back passengers are all belted in and the chime stops. If the chime doesn't sound in park you won't find out until you move the lever into drive.
    What was annoying was with 2 people in the back if either leaned on the unoccupied centre seat to look at the touchscreen it would set the centre seat chime off but that seems to be less sensitive since 7.1 or maybe the number of test drives is falling off now.
    As to the front seats, when I clean the car I am in and out of the front seats to clean the screen and the inside windscreen but don't trigger the chime, probably because I have the door open. So if you are in the front seat and all doors are closed I would agree, put on your seat belt.
    In any case it would not surprise me that this behaviour is mandated by law.

3. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

I have always had one issue with the seatbelt chime and that is this...

When you have arrived at your destination, and then you decide to slowly back in to your spot... the people in the back seat pre-empt it and take off their seat belt... OK, the car is only moving 5kph, so no real risk of injury BUT!!!! when the darn seat-belt warning lights come on in the centre display - it OVERRIDES the reverse camera image which is really needed since the car is still reversing!!! And to make matters worse, clicking on the X to kill the warning window DOES NOT CURE THE PROBLEM...

Sorry for all the exclamation marks and capitals... this bug has bugged me since I bought the car...

4. paulp

paulp Member

Sounds precisely like what happened to someone I know. She was backing in without the seatbelt on, was hit by another fast car, and killed. The police investigators concluded if her seatbelt was on a small bruise would have been the likely outcome.
    Hence when you are sitting in a car, even if its stationary, you are at greater risk without your seatbelt on. Rear enders occur on parked cars too.
    Tesla have erred toward the safest option, and therefore have this right.

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

I regularly have to threaten my offspring with mayhem for doing this - basically leave seatbelt on and remain seated until all is done.

Having said that - this afternoon I took off my seatbelt and lifted myself off the seat to put keys in pocket while doing an auto park - didn't like that; it stopped.

6. paulp

paulp Member

You must trust auto park more than me.