Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt nag chime longer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2019.36.21 a few days ago and I might be going crazy but the seatbelt nag chime seems to ding much longer now. If I remember correctly, it would previously only sound if a passenger didn’t have a seatbelt on when you put the car into gear. Even then it would ding only three times. After this update it dings every time any of the seats, including driver, detect a person. It also dings when you come to your destination, put the car in park, and take your seatbelt off. It also dings an annoyingly long time. 5 or 6 times per person. Anybody else notice this?

I noticed that it now dings when moving into the easy entry position (I don't think it did this before). The car definitely used to ding if you started driving without the driver's seatbelt on, this isn't new. I haven't noticed any other changes in dings related to seats/seatbelts, though I don't start driving until everyone has their seatbelts on anyway.

I had my X in for service today and I asked about this because I also noticed the changes behavior with 36.2.1.

The service advisor confirmed it was an intentional software change.

I’m not a fan and wish it was the old behavior where it wouldn’t alert until above some speed X (believe it was 14mph). But now, even if you’re in park after being in drive, as soon as the seat belt is unbuckled, it’ll start dinging. Very annoying for dropping off passengers.

2019.36.21 On 2016 X the chime persisted after putting the car in park and unlatching the seatbelt but it seemed to silence with a second press on the stalk park button (or it was just coincident timing). Really annoying. What’s the purpose? I don’t need a ding when I am about to exit.

Reactions: pilotSteve
2019.36.21 On 2016 X the chime persisted after putting the car in park and unlatching the seatbelt but it seemed to silence with a second press on the stalk park button (or it was just coincident timing). Really annoying. What’s the purpose? I don’t need a ding when I am about to exit.
Pressing Park again didn't stop the dinging for me :-( I've started closing the door manually like a neanderthal, putting on my seatbelt, and then pressing the brake to turn it on. Lame

• Informative
This happened to us before 36.x - not all the time, but very unnecessary. We have not had car long enough to know when it started.

As above, not all the time. Nothing yesterday evening, but today, 3 lots of seatbelt warnings and chime going off.

Really annoying, like being told off for something you never done.

I'm having the same issue with a 2016 X. I wonder if it's a bug that only affects certain models. Clearly the car should not issue a seat belt warning when you are in park and about to get out of the car, since the car does not actually turn off until you unbuckle and get out of the seat. The warning used to go off only if the car was still in Drive, which is the way it should be. Hope the next update fixes it.

I could not believe that this was an intentional change. But, sure enough, while at Tesla service I asked about the door chimes on exit. The guy confirmed that it is impossible to exit a new Model S without the seatbelt chime. I sure hope they realize how stupid that sounds and fix it.
IMHO the chime should be for doing something wrong - my old Model S certainly taught me to always put it in park before unbuckling the seatbelt and opening the door - the reward is no chime. But, with this new software I can go back to my old bad habit of opening the door and unbucking while still in drive without any extra chime penalties.

I also have the seatbelt chime happen on entry too - but it seems random. I could not reproduce that issue for the service guy without doing something stupid like putting my foot on the brake before bucking up.

Got 2019.36.21 a few days ago and I might be going crazy but the seatbelt nag chime seems to ding much longer now. If I remember correctly, it would previously only sound if a passenger didn’t have a seatbelt on when you put the car into gear. Even then it would ding only three times. After this update it dings every time any of the seats, including driver, detect a person. It also dings when you come to your destination, put the car in park, and take your seatbelt off. It also dings an annoyingly long time. 5 or 6 times per person. Anybody else notice this?