Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
I got a fresh factory loaner when my AP2 (Dec 2016) Model S was getting my headlight replaced (failed DRL).

In this loaner (HW2.5), it warned me when my rear seat passengers didn't buckle (and showed how many were unbuckled).

My car doesn't do that. I could have the backseat filled with unbuckled teens and it will not alert me. It will alert me to the front seats.

Should my car do that but has something disconnected or is that a feature Tesla added after I got my car? In other words, do I need to go back to the service center and get this looked at or am I SOL? (I really want this feature and am willing to pay to change out my seats if need be to get it since safety is pretty much the major reason we got a Tesla).

I have that feature. Its gives me a warning even when my kids are buckled in. So annoying.

That is interesting. I see you have 2018 cars...I wonder if someone with a 2017 AP2 or 2016 car can chime in because if my car doesn't do it, I would like to get it looked at before my next road trip. Sometimes my Mother In Law will ride next to her and accidentally unbuckle her car seat while she buckles herself in. Despite my repeated warnings about this, she will not double check. I'd rather get warned about a non-issue than not know about a potentially serious issue.

That is interesting. I see you have 2018 cars...I wonder if someone with a 2017 AP2 or 2016 car can chime in because if my car doesn't do it, I would like to get it looked at before my next road trip. Sometimes my Mother In Law will ride next to her and accidentally unbuckle her car seat while she buckles herself in. Despite my repeated warnings about this, she will not double check. I'd rather get warned about a non-issue than not know about a potentially serious issue.
I have a May 2017 S that shows the red exclamation point if there’s weight on the back seat but it’s not buckled. Only issues I’ve had are that it’s seat specific, so someone on the passenger side rear seat inevitably buckles into the wrong buckle and my car isn’t happy about that or my kids (sitting on the driver and passenger rear seats) lean on the middle one with enough pressure for the car to think there’s someone sitting there but not buckled and gives me a warning about the free-flying middle-seater. Other than those two occasional oddities, it works great. — Dan

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and croman

That is a good point. It is just annoying because it isn't working right and I don't have time to take it in. I do want to know if my kids carseats come unbuckled.

That is a good point. It is just annoying because it isn't working right and I don't have time to take it in. I do want to know if my kids carseats come unbuckled.

My solution was to ban my Mother In Law from riding in the Tesla. She's happy (she hates how I drive and HATES AP) and I'm happy. Win-win but I'd still like to get this feature working.

Hopefully you get a win-win solution too!

March 2017 here - I get both the warning and the numeric indicator on how many are not buckled up. Right rear passenger usually confuses and clicks into the middle seat - keep reminding people to pay closer attention, otherwise the nagging alert gets annoying pretty soon.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
March 2017 here - I get both the warning and the numeric indicator on how many are not buckled up. Right rear passenger usually confuses and clicks into the middle seat - keep reminding people to pay closer attention, otherwise the nagging alert gets annoying pretty soon.

Thanks! So somehow between December 8 and whenever your car was produced they installed these sensors...I wonder if it's the next gen seats vs premium seat which wasn't offered for nonP cars...

Do you have premium seats?

My car has this feature. Mine is a 2nd quarter 2017 car. I hate it. Kids buckled in=no seat belt warning. Boo.

Isn't kids buckled in no warning the point? If not buckled, then warning. That's what I'd like anyways. Seemed really useful with the loaner but you seem to have more experience with the shortcomings.

I'm kind of shocked Tesla has the software but never put the hardware until sometime in 2017.

Isn't kids buckled in no warning the point? If not buckled, then warning. That's what I'd like anyways. Seemed really useful with the loaner but you seem to have more experience with the shortcomings.

I'm kind of shocked Tesla has the software but never put the hardware until sometime in 2017.

Well, it's not supposed warn you if they're buckled in, but it pretty much sucks... I had a very large lady sitting in the back seat, and depending on how she was leaning at the moment it would warn and then go off. The sensors just suck... they're annoying.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
There was a discussion last year somewhere about this issue (seatbelt buckled but still got warning). It turned out the seatbelt was in the wrong buckle because they were next to each other.
No one has ever been in my backseat (neither have I), so I don’t know how easy it is to mismatch the belts to the buckles. Worrh checking to see if your passengers have it right or not.

Also, completely off topic but had to laugh, I have basically the exact same car as you, same colors, options, etc - delivered the same month, and also had a bum DRL replaced a few months ago. At least they're consistent. ;)

I've got the yellow band around my MCU but I'll let the SC deal with that later. I live very close to one. Took them two tries to fix the headlight and they never volunteered to fix the screen.

Anyways, I love the color and interior color combo. Great minds think alike.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the premium seat is needed to get this feature which came out only around when my car was made but only for performance cars with pup and not plain Jane pup cars. Sucks but I'll see if there are any upgrade options.