Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats and steering wheel that move out of the way for easier ingress and egress, request to tesla

Do you want Tesla to add easy entry-egress features the the cars

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very handy feature.

Most mercedes-Benz have this feature.

Tesla uses Mercedes-Benz steering colum, and the steering column and seat position is electrically controlled and remembered by the car.

So Tesla, why don't add his handy feature to the cars on your next software update? Is a 2005 technology and all the requirements are already built in the car.

Please reply and chime in, the more people who express a interest in this feature, the better.

I don't know exactly how the MB feature works, but requests similar to yours have been posted before on TMC. A solution that you can implement right now is as follows:

Create a driver profile specifically for ingress/egress. When you exit the car select that profile. Then when you enter the car the seat and steering wheel will be in that position. After entering the car select your own driver profile.

That procedure means you have to tap twice on the center display before exiting and twice after entering the car. I know, extra things to do. But for now it is a solution.

Tesla uses Mercedes-Benz steering colum, and the steering column and seat position is electrically controlled and remembered by the car.

So Tesla, why don't add his handy feature to the cars on your next software update? Is a 2005 technology and all the requirements are already built in the car.

Please reply and chime in, the more people who express a interest in this feature, the better.
Have you tried to link your keyfob to a driver profile

I think that's what you're looking for?

The feature should have toggle so if you don't want it, just don't select it.

Thanks to the tesla trolls in the tesla fake news/troll cubicle farms for voting no.

This is a feature that should not have any Detrimental secondary effects on the car except for making an engineer write 20 extra lines of code. (Or copy and paste from mercedes benz/Lexus )

Thanks to the tesla trolls in the tesla fake news/troll cubicle farms for voting no.
As I post this, there is one "No" vote. So I don't understand what you are talking about.
Imagine just for a moment how much easier ingress/egress would be just by having the steering wheel move out of the way from your normal driving position.
The suggestion I posted upthread accomplishes what you are requesting.

And linking an "ingress/egress" profile to your keyfob would mean that everytime you approached the car that profile would be activated. Then once you sat down you could tap on the center display to select your driving profile.

I've owned one car with this feature and most without. I traded that car for the Tesla and don't miss it at all.

If Tesla presented a list of features, and asked for priorities, and said they only had time to do some of them, this feature wouldn't make my top 10. (As an owner of a AP2 generation Model S, I'd much rather they actually finish that car first!)

Create a driver profile specifically for ingress/egress.

That's what I did (in part because my wife is a foot+ shorter than I, and I *can't* get in if the seat is on her profile), with the added benefit of us using that profile at home so the car doesn't lock inside the garage.

Two clicks. I can't see a dedicated entry/exit profile being any easier than that unless it's somehow selectable on the key fob, which doesn't sound easily doable.

Not sure why you created a poll with yes/no options if you're unwilling to accept the possibility that someone may vote "no". And, as of now, there's still only one negative vote, so not sure where those "fake news" "trolls" are? Maybe a petition is more to your liking than a poll?

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
This is a feature that should not have any Detrimental secondary effects on the car except for making an engineer write 20 extra lines of code. (Or copy and paste from mercedes benz/Lexus )

Having done software development for 20+ years, it's unfortunately rare that anything useful is as easy as 20 lines of code. :) Further, every feature has a downstream impact of requiring maintenance and ongoing quality assurance testing. I'm sure it just hasn't been a priority for Tesla yet.

+1 -- My Lexus has the feature (rolls the seat back and steering wheel up when you turn the car off, moves them back to your driver setting when you turn the car on. Problem with implementing it in a Tesla of course is that the car turns "off" when you get out of the seat which is too late. Might be able to tie it to putting car in Park. Of course can't tie it to putting car in drive because you don't want the seat moving with the car in drive.

My other concern with this feature (not Tesla specific) is that it has the car seat and wheel move every time you start/stop the car. That puts a LOT of wear and tear on the seat and wheel adjustment motors. I would think they (actually the gears) will wear out much faster due to the higher usage....

As I read the feedback it seems like most people don't entirely get what you're suggesting.

Its a good feature - I have it in my SL63.

First, like many of the features within Tesla, the MB option can be toggled on and off in the driver preferences and its attached to the driver profile. All it does is recognize that once you have turned off your car, it places the steering wheel and column in an optimum position for someone to enter and exit the vehicle. Once the driver turns the car on, or a different profile is recognized by a key fob connecting to the car, it will then trigger all of the pre-configured settings to that car.

Im 6'4" and this just makes the car more convenient. I understand the option of creating another profile in the profile screen to do this, but that defeats the purpose - going through a series of commands on the screen is more hassle than grabbing the stock adjustment and moving the steering wheel for optimum exit....its a convenience factor that the OP is talking about.

Given that profiles exist and options screens too, it would seem like just a couple of lines of code to add this feature to put it on par with other luxury sedans that offer it.

Remember for those worried about wear and tear - it would be an OPTION in the profiles screen, not hard code; just like it is today in MBs....they list it along with things like convenience lighting or noises confirming alarm activation.

+1 -- My Lexus has the feature (rolls the seat back and steering wheel up when you turn the car off, moves them back to your driver setting when you turn the car on. Problem with implementing it in a Tesla of course is that the car turns "off" when you get out of the seat which is too late. Might be able to tie it to putting car in Park. Of course can't tie it to putting car in drive because you don't want the seat moving with the car in drive.

My other concern with this feature (not Tesla specific) is that it has the car seat and wheel move every time you start/stop the car. That puts a LOT of wear and tear on the seat and wheel adjustment motors. I would think they (actually the gears) will wear out much faster due to the higher usage....

I was thinking the same thing about how the program would recognize "off" - my take is that it would be triggered by the door being opened by the driver AND the car being in Park. It really needs to coincide with entry/exit, or it becomes problematic. In fact, this is where the feature falls down with MB - they have tied it to the car being on or off, if I have got in and started my car and then realize I forgot something, opening the door to get out doesn't affect the positions and in that case, the convenience feature doesn't work.

As far as your other concern about wear and tear, the components are already designed to do this for the MB platform so it should be factored in the design. That said, I mentioned earlier like the MB platform it should be optional like other convenience features on the Tesla - this way a driver can opt out of the function if they are inclined.

My wife's Audi A7 has this feature & it's nice. Until a software update appears (if it's even possible), I created a profile named "EXIT" that puts the steering wheel all the way forward and the driver's seat back to a position that makes it easier for me to get out (especially when my back is not cooperating).

this is the one big thing that I missed having in my tesla coming from MBs and BMWs. also the lack of door/seat pockets in the tesla could be revisited by their designers.