Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats and steering wheel that move out of the way for easier ingress and egress, request to tesla

Do you want Tesla to add easy entry-egress features the the cars

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uh,...I think that you lost a few of us. what hardware isn't in place already to allow a feature update that includes easy exit of the vehicle by putt the seats and steeling column in a different position after selecting Park?
I want you to think about this, the auto adjusting of seats/steering wheel doesn't just happen by magic, something needs to control these acts. while the seats and steering wheels can be adjusted by the driver on command AFAIK the interface to do these functions automatically are not part of the current vehicles.

I want you to think about this, the auto adjusting of seats/steering wheel doesn't just happen by magic, something needs to control these acts. while the seats and steering wheels can be adjusted by the driver on command AFAIK the interface to do these functions automatically are not part of the current vehicles.

"I want you to think about this" sounds very condescending - Im sure you didn't mean it like that. The motors that run movement in both the steering column and the seating provide the physical adjustability and instructions are provided to these items are sent largely through the screen interface )AKA software instructions) - the steering column has a physical switch; however, those settings are ultimately stored on the driver profile with software instructions as well. All of this accessible via the screen and even the driver settings too.

As has already been written, people are already cheating the car into acting this way by creating a quick access driver profile called "exit"; again all done through the software. The only real addition to the already in place features would be an 'exit' profile when the driver places the vehicle in park. And, this feature would be a toggle option in the driver settings under seats...pretty simple fix that I would place a bet on that they didn't need hardware.

"I want you to think about this" sounds very condescending - Im sure you didn't mean it like that. The motors that run movement in both the steering column and the seating provide the physical adjustability and instructions are provided to these items are sent largely through the screen interface )AKA software instructions) - the steering column has a physical switch; however, those settings are ultimately stored on the driver profile with software instructions as well. All of this accessible via the screen and even the driver settings too.

As has already been written, people are already cheating the car into acting this way by creating a quick access driver profile called "exit"; again all done through the software. The only real addition to the already in place features would be an 'exit' profile when the driver places the vehicle in park. And, this feature would be a toggle option in the driver settings under seats...pretty simple fix that I would place a bet on that they didn't need hardware.
all those work arounds may simulate the effect of the car automatically adjusting the seat/wheel positions upon entry and exit however for this to be a true working component it is my contention that there needs to be some sort of hardware in the car that controls these actions, I don't believe that a software patch will work for this task.

Triggering a different "entry/exit" profile when the car is placed in park or the driver's door opens should be trivial. I can't think of any additional hardware that would be required above and beyond what's already there.

The car basically already does this with the profiles linked to the key fob. Open the door with a key linked to a profile and everything adjusts to your preference. The car has the ability to store profiles and knows when the door opens and closes. Adding an intermediary profile to the process should be simple.

Triggering a different "entry/exit" profile when the car is placed in park or the driver's door opens should be trivial. I can't think of any additional hardware that would be required above and beyond what's already there.

The car basically already does this with the profiles linked to the key fob. Open the door with a key linked to a profile and everything adjusts to your preference. The car has the ability to store profiles and knows when the door opens and closes. Adding an intermediary profile to the process should be simple.
we shall see;)

Well, magic doesn't need to be invoked in this case. The seat and steering wheel positions are part of the driver profile.

all those work arounds may simulate the effect of the car automatically adjusting the seat/wheel positions upon entry and exit however for this to be a true working component it is my contention that there needs to be some sort of hardware in the car that controls these actions, I don't believe that a software patch will work for this task.

unless you can show me the hardware schematic that you believe is missing we are going to have to agree to disagree. It already does everything that it needs to do. It just needs instructions on doing it.

I completely agree
Well, magic doesn't need to be invoked in this case. The seat and steering wheel positions are part of the driver profile.

You keep using the term "magic'. Are you aware of some sort of control module missing in the schematic?

The system isn't solid state - its two multi-adjustable motors with motion control managed via both electric switch AND software interface. Moreover, the settings are stored in memory via a computer module and software instructions - all accessed through the main interface, which is again a software interface. If you're a double EE looking at schematics and seeing something that we don't, please do share.

software coded to essentially say:

= if gear selection moves from D to P change driver setting to "exit" settings.

option 2:

= if gear selection moves from D to P and drivers door is opened, change driver settings to "exit" mode.

The software stores and touches each of these settings. In the X you can even remotely open doors etc.

not needed in terms of priority... as many others have mentioned create an exit/entry driver profile .... why do you need a dedicated function ... this way it is user select-able by definition.... what am i missing ... lets focus on AP and FSD code

not needed in terms of priority... as many others have mentioned create an exit/entry driver profile .... why do you need a dedicated function ... this way it is user select-able by definition.... what am i missing ... lets focus on AP and FSD code
the need to get into the screen functions and manually change profiles in order to simulate this feature is what I and others see as a major flaw in this work around

I'd love to have it done automatically. I have a weak back and have to enter the car sideways, so I need a little more room to get in. Then I have to grab hold of the steering wheel to pull myself in position to press the button on the screen that puts me in a drivers position.

If the development model breaks because small fixes are requested during the lifecycle then Tesla isn't much of a company and doesn't deserve to be in the space. Given the development as a whole, I doubt they approach things in such a linear fashion; nor should they.

And, while I agree that those (AP and FSD) are key milestones, the notion that nothing else should be looked at while these remain in progress just isn't realistic. Enhancements are cataloged for demand, ROI and level of complexity...and fall off the wish list according to that. The list of enhancements that surface may not show value in terms of your priority list, but it doesn't mean that collectively it's a request that isn't in their demand planning.

Last edited:
software coded to essentially say:

= if gear selection moves from D to P change driver setting to "exit" settings.

option 2:

= if gear selection moves from D to P and drivers door is opened, change driver settings to "exit" mode.

The software stores and touches each of these settings. In the X you can even remotely open doors etc.

I'd like to see

= if gear selection moves from D to P followed by the seatbelt switch going from latched to unlatched, entry/exit mode is triggered

I voted yes - it's always great if Tesla can introduce new over the air software features - but I personally wouldn't use it.

I had an exit/entry profile on my Model S that was tied to the key. Trouble was, with energy saving turned on, you need to wait for vehicle systems to boot before the seat will begin moving. So I'd approach and open the door, then stand there for a few seconds while I waited for the seat and wheel to move. It ultimately became annoying so I deleted the profile and just get in the car more carefully. With energy savings turned off, perhaps it's faster?

I do think it's also worth pointing out that this feature has the potential to increase the frequency of operation of the electric seat motors and gears significantly, and if Tesla engineers hadn't assumed that behavior when selecting components, there is a possibility of accelerated wear.

I voted yes - it's always great if Tesla can introduce new over the air software features - but I personally wouldn't use it.

I had an exit/entry profile on my Model S that was tied to the key. Trouble was, with energy saving turned on, you need to wait for vehicle systems to boot before the seat will begin moving. So I'd approach and open the door, then stand there for a few seconds while I waited for the seat and wheel to move. It ultimately became annoying so I deleted the profile and just get in the car more carefully. With energy savings turned off, perhaps it's faster?

I do think it's also worth pointing out that this feature has the potential to increase the frequency of operation of the electric seat motors and gears significantly, and if Tesla engineers hadn't assumed that behavior when selecting components, there is a possibility of accelerated wear.

I can't speak for the seats; however, the steering column is an MB part that already has this features within the cars its used (its been out for at least 5 years). They had some early year troubles using plastic parts in the adjustment pivots but seem to have re-engineered the design and fixed the premature wear.