TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Seats: MP vs Next Gen / premium seats

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JD2000, Mar 27, 2017.

1. JD2000

JD2000 Member

Hello all,

Could someone weigh in on multi-pattern seat comfort on long trips vs 2nd gen seats? In the hunt for a MS and curious if the extra money to get upgraded seats is worth the spend. I have heard the MP are much more durable.

Thanks!

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I sat in both before I bought mine last year. Next gen is the way to go (for me at least).

3. agloutney

agloutney Member

I haven't tried 2nd gen but I really enjoy the new mp seats in my 60D. They are much more comfortable than the original leather seats I had before and look great too. I'm really happy with them and wouldn't trade for the leather seats even if they were free. They also heat up faster than leather if that's a concern. That being said, seat preference is a personal thing so if it's possible, best to try them out and see which ones you would be most comfortable in. Enjoy!

4. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I have MS with the upgraded seats. My experience with the original seats is limited to a loaner MS I had while my MS was in service for normal 12k service (I did drive the loaner for 10 hours during the long ride from and to Marietta from home)... I found the 2nd gen seats more supportive and better for long trips than the standard seats. I can't comment on the questions of durability and heat management; but my experience in general has been (with Mercedes) is that the top-of-the-line synthetic and leather have had essentially equal durability after long use

5. tpham07

tpham07 Member

aren't the new black textile seats next-gen also? They're just not leather like the other leather options.

• Like x 1
  6. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

As far as I can tell, yes. When I ordered my S60D with textile seats, they looked structurally exactly the same as the leather seats.

7. JD2000

JD2000 Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I cannot try the MP seats as Tesla cannot locate any MS with that option on the west coast to try them out. The car I am interested in is not local and is a 2016 before they changed the old style MP seats to the smooth version.

8. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Where are you located? Perhaps one of us with the older textile seats can let you check them out. I received one of the last batches of the previous design textile seats in December 2016.

9. JD2000

JD2000 Member

San Francisco.

10. Red_DS

Red_DS Member

I had a similar question before I placed the order last week. Called Tesla gallery/delivery center and they showed me a Model X that belonging to an owner that has the same MP seats. I loved it!

I saw a Tan next gen leather seats too. But it was on a showroom model that was only a month old and it looked really worn. We immediately decided against the leather.

One exception for the leather. The white leather seats. They were beautiful! And they actually did look a lot more cleaner and fresher than the regular leather seats.

In the end we went with MP seats to save money and because we weren't getting PUP.

It is a personal preference at the end. FWIW, I've always had leather seats in my cars. But the new MP seats on Tesla is really sharp and after seeing it in person, I have no doubts about going that route.

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Yes, the new textile seats are the same design as the current "new" leather seats. On cars that came with Next-Gen seats, the textile seats were the old style versions.