Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats ticking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds like the sound in my car too! So it's odd, tliving, that you didn't think the sound in my video sounded like the sound in your car. Perhaps it was just too exaggerated in the video. In reality, it is more subtle, and sounds just like the sound Omar Shahine recorded.

I tried pressing on the seats to make the ticking/creaking but it doesn't seem that seat pressure does it. The sound was somewhat similar but yours is definitely a pressure-induced sound where mine wasn't.

Guys... If it sounds like a clock.. it's in the dash on the left knee... part of the braking system and considered normal. Min stopped of the most part

@NoMoGas : how did yours stop? i've had this metallic clicking noise for almost a year and it's driving us nuts. it happens all the time, smooth or rough roads, local or highway speeds, pedal or regen, etc.

San Diego SvC has taken a look twice and attempted to fix, giving it back to me exactly the way it was when i brought it in ... very frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried pressing on the seats to make the ticking/creaking but it doesn't seem that seat pressure does it. The sound was somewhat similar but yours is definitely a pressure-induced sound where mine wasn't.

@tliving - i have an older VIN as well and the same ticking noise, but not recreated by pressure on the driver seat. to me, the sounds seems like it's coming from the footwell area near the pedals. i really don't know what it could be but it's like the sound of a mouse click and happens at least every 2 seconds, not in consistent intervals either.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my wife to drive around, and laid flat on the floor in the rear seat with a flashlight and my ear to the ground. Sound is coming from the right rail area of the driver seat.
Also got a recording. You can hear the metallic ticking sound throughout the recording. It happens about 8 times.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305392/Ticking Noise 2.m4a

I have a service appointment in a few weeks. So will see what happens.

@Omar - thanks for posting the audio file. sounds similar to mine. i tried to record it near my feet while driving but the road noise drowned it out so that you couldn't really hear it. i had someone at the SvC ride along the first time and he heard it right away but the techs are unable to get rid of it after two failed visits :cursing:

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I took my car to the Bellevue service center this morning. The shop foreman took a ride with me and witnessed the noise. He told me Tesla just released a bulletin last week documenting the problem and a fix.

Apparently the seat bottom went though a design change where they modified the size of rivets holding it together, that creates this ticking noise over time. The fix is to apparently replace the seat bottom which they will order for me (they did not have any in stock).

I took my car to the Bellevue service center this morning. The shop foreman took a ride with me and witnessed the noise. He told me Tesla just released a bulletin last week documenting the problem and a fix.

Apparently the seat bottom went though a design change where they modified the size of rivets holding it together, that creates this ticking noise over time. The fix is to apparently replace the seat bottom which they will order for me (they did not have any in stock).

Thanks for the update. I have the tick and it's driving me crazy!

I have a new front seat on order for a different issue, so hopefully it is the new design and does not have the problem.

Thanks for the information.

Does this apply to Next Gen seats or older seats?

My service manager thanked me for the video, and said that it would allow him to demonstrate the problem, and it sounded like his plan was to order me a new seat for some time when the car is going to be there for service, but it did not sound at all as if he had seen a service bulletin about the issue yet.

I'd also be interested to know if it is possible to replace just the seat bottom, as opposed to the entire seat, as my seat has been treated with CQuartz Leather, and I'd prefer to keep as much of my seat as possible, and thus have to have as little new leather as possible treated.

Same exact issue as OP. My car is only two months old with 1,000 miles. Started to notice it about three weeks ago and has reached the point of driving me crazy. Comes under acceleration or deceleration. Also over bumps. Will be taking mine into the service center soon. Glad to hear they may know the source.

Thanks for the information.

Does this apply to Next Gen seats or older seats?

My service manager thanked me for the video, and said that it would allow him to demonstrate the problem, and it sounded like his plan was to order me a new seat for some time when the car is going to be there for service, but it did not sound at all as if he had seen a service bulletin about the issue yet.

I'd also be interested to know if it is possible to replace just the seat bottom, as opposed to the entire seat, as my seat has been treated with CQuartz Leather, and I'd prefer to keep as much of my seat as possible, and thus have to have as little new leather as possible treated.

In my case, I have the stock seats (not NextGen). The NextGen were an option I didn't pick.

Here is what the service invoices says:

Concern: Client reports consistent clicking/ticking noise from driver's seat while driving.
Corrections: 1st Row Seat Assemblies & Hardware General Diagnosis
Test-drove with client, verified noise internal to seat assembly. Ordered seat to rectifyconcern, will notify client when part becomes available.
Pay Type: Warranty

In my case, I have the stock seats (not NextGen). The NextGen were an option I didn't pick.

Here is what the service invoices says:

Concern: Client reports consistent clicking/ticking noise from driver's seat while driving.
Corrections: 1st Row Seat Assemblies & Hardware General Diagnosis
Test-drove with client, verified noise internal to seat assembly. Ordered seat to rectifyconcern, will notify client when part becomes available.
Pay Type: Warranty

Thanks for the follow up.

Would you say your clicking noise sounds like the noise in the video I posted up thread? (Bear in mind that the sound is louder in the video than while driving, because I was trying hard to make sure it could be heard.)

Thanks.

Same exact issue as OP. My car is only two months old with 1,000 miles. Started to notice it about three weeks ago and has reached the point of driving me crazy. Comes under acceleration or deceleration. Also over bumps. Will be taking mine into the service center soon. Glad to hear they may know the source.

Update: when I have kids in the back seat directly behind drivers seat it does not make the noise which leads me to believe that it is not a front seat issue, but rather a back seat issue. If I have kids in the middle back or passenger back, it still makes the noise. Appointment with service in early December. Will post what we find. Would appreciate others doing the same. Thanks!

Update: when I have kids in the back seat directly behind drivers seat it does not make the noise which leads me to believe that it is not a front seat issue, but rather a back seat issue. If I have kids in the middle back or passenger back, it still makes the noise. Appointment with service in early December. Will post what we find. Would appreciate others doing the same. Thanks!

Take a look at my video, posted up thread.

Yours may not be a front seat issue, but mine clearly is, and I expect others' may be as well.

Edit: Just had a thought that may apply to your situation. There is a back seat clicking noise that the rear seatbelts can make at times, when they are not fastened, and hanging in a specific way. You may want to check that out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up.

Would you say your clicking noise sounds like the noise in the video I posted up thread? (Bear in mind that the sound is louder in the video than while driving, because I was trying hard to make sure it could be heard.)

Thanks.

same sound just different ways to reproduce the problem. It's basically the same issue. In the past few weeks my sound has gotten much worse, more frequent and I too can push the seat down like you and make the noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is going in Dec 4th for this, although I can't reproduce it like in the video.

Not to worry. I could not either. But the sound is getting louder and more frequent and I can reproduce it sometimes pushing down on the seat. Doesn't matter anyway since this is now a known issue.

same sound just different ways to reproduce the problem. It's basically the same issue. In the past few weeks my sound has gotten much worse, more frequent and I too can push the seat down like you and make the noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to worry. I could not either. But the sound is getting louder and more frequent and I can reproduce it sometimes pushing down on the seat. Doesn't matter anyway since this is now a known issue.

I've had a ticking sound for months now (70D, stock seats, started after about 500 miles). Been to the dealership 2x for it. As of Nov 1st the dealership claimed there was nothing in the Tesla database about seat ticking problems.

They did manage to make it go away by tying all the wires and tightening everything... but the sound came back after about 800 miles.

During their fix the managed to loosen the seat so now it ticks and rattles.... New seat ordered but will take 6 weeks to arrive. Just adding another data point to the discussion.

Will update when the new seat comes in.

I've had a ticking sound for months now (70D, stock seats, started after about 500 miles). Been to the dealership 2x for it. As of Nov 1st the dealership claimed there was nothing in the Tesla database about seat ticking problems.

They did manage to make it go away by tying all the wires and tightening everything... but the sound came back after about 800 miles.

During their fix the managed to loosen the seat so now it ticks and rattles.... New seat ordered but will take 6 weeks to arrive. Just adding another data point to the discussion.

Will update when the new seat comes in.

good luck with the 6 weeks! My seat was ordered in April and was just installed in September. Took forever. Same ticking clicking annoying issue.

Has anyone had there seat fixed and had the noise not come back? Mine has been in 3 times, and it starting to come back and I am taking a 4000 mile trip in the next few weeks. The service center is right next to work so it not a huge deal and they do get it to go away for about a week at a time. If someone has had it fixed could you let me know so I can have them do the same thing. Thanks.

Has anyone had there seat fixed and had the noise not come back? Mine has been in 3 times, and it starting to come back and I am taking a 4000 mile trip in the next few weeks. The service center is right next to work so it not a huge deal and they do get it to go away for about a week at a time. If someone has had it fixed could you let me know so I can have them do the same thing. Thanks.

Since I taped some of the cables under the driver seat I have not heard any ticking. Its been over a month since I did it: #19

So finding the loose cables and securing them seemed to do it for me.

• Informative