Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so confused by the my RTA Excise tax calculation...

I have 2018 LR RWD and my amount is $563. I called into see what MSRP they are calculating this off of and they told me $57k, which....makes no sense. They are clearly getting this number from the 2020 M3P
View attachment 572556

I looked up the generic vehicle MSRP that WA DOL has on file and it says my model should have MSRP of $49k:
View attachment 572545

With 2 years of service, it should have a 89% (LOLZZ) depreciation according to this: https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/depreciation-schedule.html

This means my RTA tax should be $480 ($49000 X .89 X 1.1%) rather than $563. However, when I put my VIN # in, it tells me that my 2018 Tesla Model 3 (no trim is specified) owes the $563 amount.

Don't get me started on how I bought this vehicle for $36.8k and these amounts cited are ludicrously unrepresentative. Even using their numbers, this RTA tax amount does not compute.

Anyone have a similar issue and how did you resolve this mismatch?

Can you tell me the link to the RTA estimator?

Shocked! 1.5 yrs after appealing to have my 2018 LR RWD MSRP corrected, I just received a letter from DoL informing me that the valuation has been adjusted and received a refund for the overpaid amount.

I had completely given up on this ever being corrected and ironically it happens when I'm days away from trading it in. Such is life. Lesson learned, double check that RTA calculation when you pick up the car or spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it fixed. If I knew it would be this hard, I wouldn't have of pursued it at all but I didn't want to encourage bad behavior by DoL ;)

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
The last time I bought a Tesla (Nov 2018), Tesla collected RTA tax from me even though I'd told them I'd moved to a house outside the RTA area. I asked Tesla for the money back, but of course that was a black hole. Since I moved just before delivery, I figured it wasn't worth chasing after - I would have owed it if I would have moved just a week later. I didn't bother to contact the DOL.

But about a year later, the DOL sent me a check for the full amount. I'm glad someone there does review and correct things every now and then...

Thank god we have a cabin in the Cascades for registering our cars.
Always a good idea to post that you are committing fraud against the government on a public forum!

WAC 308-56A-030

(2) What does primary residence mean for a registered owner who is a natural person or a business?
(a) In the case of a natural person, it means the person's true, fixed and permanent home in Washington. This does not include secondary or vacation homes where a vehicle is garaged or used. The department will presume that a registered owner's primary residence is the same as the address used in driver's license records or voter registration records.
(9) What is the penalty if the applicant or registered owner provides false address information?
A person providing false residency information is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable by a fine of five hundred twenty-nine dollars.

The fine is less than the RTA fees at least. Feels like a solid gamble!
They got that covered too ;)

In some cases where a defendant gained money or property from a misdemeanor, the judge may order the defendant to pay restitution to the victim instead of a fine. The amount of restitution may be as much as twice the amount of the defendant's gain from the crime. (Wash. Rev. Code § 9A.20.030 (2019).)

Also, technically in WA, the Judge can put you in jail for up to 364 days for a gross misdemeanor.

Always a good idea to post that you are committing fraud against the government on a public forum!
It’s my girlfriend’s primary residence, but thanks for assuming otherwise. Maybe there are some support groups to help with the anger management / resentment over not thinking through a legal way around a tax that voters successfully voted to repeal only to have the government overturn to build public transit that few want and fewer use?

Reactions: wenkan
It’s my girlfriend’s primary residence, but thanks for assuming otherwise.
That's still illegal unless those cars are registered in her name, and you have no legal claim to them at all. Nobody refers to their primary residence as "we have a cabin in the Cascades for registering our cars". If this is legal, they're not "our cars" they are "her cars," and her drivers license and voting better be in the cascades, and why would you mention it being a cabin if it's just where you live all the time? Sure sounds like a vacation home. It's weird how all the pictures in your post history are of the car in a Seattle driveway, not a Cascades cabin driveway.

I'll just leave this here too, totally the way someone would phrase things where the car was owned by the girlfriend who totally has the cabin as her primary address. Why would you be "Avoiding" the RTA tax that you don't even owe if the car is really primarily based in the Cascades? There's no "Avoiding" a tax you don't legally owe.
Ran into the same issue since we were registering at our cabin in Plain, WA (i.e. lower tax and no RTA). The sales tax at purchase is based on where the car is being picked up vs. registration address. We ended up changing pickup from Lynnwood to Renton which saved a few bucks. Total BS that the government does this, but it was either Renton or Spokane. The RTA is based on where registered, so we did avoid RTA using the Plain address.

As for repealing the Tax? You mean Tim Eyman's unanimously unconstitutional initiative that asked people in Spokane, who were not subject to the RTA tax at all, if people in Seattle are allowed to tax themselves? The one that was overwhemingly rejected by people in the RTA zone? The one that violated the rules about covering only one topic in an initiative, while simultaneously claiming the RTA tax was unclear? The one that Tim specifically structured to get crushed by the supreme court so that he could collect more money for yet another initiative, pay himself a huge salary, and scream about Washington Taxes, instead of actually making progress?

If you're so focused on voting, The RTA tax was voted in by voters like you, with mailing addresses in the RTA zone. Sound transit 3 passed in 2016 by the people that would have to pay the tax, because we want better transit in Seattle, and was passed in spirit in 2019 again by these people when they voted against I-976. Stop being a jerk and pay the tax you know you owe by law and by vote, or at least don't post about your illegal schemes on the internet. You 100% know you are breaking the law here - don't attack people that call you out for these behaviors. It gives Tesla drivers and SLU Amazon employees with a high enough income to afford vacation homes a bad name.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
There you go assuming again on whose name is on the title. What we did is 100% legal, so I don’t owe a dime. But thanks for trying to Internet shame me into paying a tax I don’t want, don’t support, and don’t have to pay. Oh, and thanks for confirming my suspicions on anger management…

There you go assuming again on whose name is on the title. What we did is 100% legal, so I don’t owe a dime. But thanks for trying to Internet shame me into paying a tax I don’t want, don’t support, and don’t have to pay. Oh, and thanks for confirming my suspicions on anger management…
Curious if you’ll be paying the new WA State Long Term care “tax” or not, my bet is no ;)

(And rightfully so, I jumped so fast to ensure I could exempt out of that!)

Curious if you’ll be paying the new WA State Long Term care “tax” or not, my bet is no ;)
The long term care tax has a specific, legal, defined exit method of having private insurance in place on a specific date. It is quite intelligent to take advantage of, and clearly legal.

Having a cabin in a far away place and calling it your "primary residence" even though you only take the car there every few months and spend almost every day in Seattle because you work here does not meet the definition of a Primary Residence in Washington:

(a) In the case of a natural person, it means the person's true, fixed and permanent home in Washington. This does not include secondary or vacation homes where a vehicle is garaged or used.

Living at your "boyfriends" house for 28 days out of the month yet not calling it your "true home in WA" is like avoiding the LTC by claiming you have private insurance when what you actually have is $50K in the bank and think you are smart by calling yourself "self insured" and ignore the rule that it has to be a policy accepted by the state.

I bet that "primary residence" in the Cascades even has a Seattle mailing address for property taxes.

• Disagree
The long term care tax has a specific, legal, defined exit method of having private insurance in place on a specific date. It is quite intelligent to take advantage of, and clearly legal.

Having a cabin in a far away place and calling it your "primary residence" even though you only take the car there every few months and spend almost every day in Seattle because you work here does not meet the definition of a Primary Residence in Washington:

Living at your "boyfriends" house for 28 days out of the month yet not calling it your "true home in WA" is like avoiding the LTC by claiming you have private insurance when what you actually have is $50K in the bank and think you are smart by calling yourself "self insured" and ignore the rule that it has to be a policy accepted by the state.

I bet that "primary residence" in the Cascades even has a Seattle mailing address for property taxes.
While the LTC does have a defined exemption plan, it isn't accessible because WA ESD cannot get the website functioning to actually apply for an exemption. The process is too onerous and unforgiving (which is what the legislature wanted I suspect). Hopefully this changes soon, but I doubt it. As for the RTA Tax, I am outside the zone, but I had my SA make sure to pull it from our account details when we put the order in. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the RTA tax if they stopped pretending that the Eastside stops at Bellevue and Kirkland. I would happily take a train into Mercer St., if I had any hope of being able to park and get on one. I'd even take a bus into Seattle if there weren't only two a day and the trip didn't take 2 hours. I feel bad for those inside the zone in Renton and Federal Way there were sold a train with ST3 only to have the plans change, putting the possibility in doubt.

While the LTC does have a defined exemption plan, it isn't accessible because WA ESD cannot get the website functioning to actually apply for an exemption.
Your argument is that because the website isn't working great 7 days after the exemption process went live, that functionally the exemption doesn't exist even though there are ~90 more days to apply? I mean, the website does exist and I know people that have used it. It's clearly going to happen.

As for the RTA Tax,
As for the RTA tax, you can love it or hate it, just like 50% of people do with any laws / taxes / whatever get voted on. But the law is the law, and if your primary residence is in the RTA area, you owe the tax. Either pay it, actually move away from the dense area that has provided you with great jobs and other living, or start an initiative to repeal it that isn't purposefully unconstitutional. You can't just buy a cabin in 2021 that you visit once every 7 weeks and suddenly call it your primary residence despite spending 95% of your time in a Seattle home while working downtown, and claim to be doing things 100% legally.

While the LTC does have a defined exemption plan, it isn't accessible because WA ESD cannot get the website functioning to actually apply for an exemption. The process is too onerous and unforgiving (which is what the legislature wanted I suspect). Hopefully this changes soon, but I doubt it. As for the RTA Tax, I am outside the zone, but I had my SA make sure to pull it from our account details when we put the order in. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the RTA tax if they stopped pretending that the Eastside stops at Bellevue and Kirkland. I would happily take a train into Mercer St., if I had any hope of being able to park and get on one. I'd even take a bus into Seattle if there weren't only two a day and the trip didn't take 2 hours. I feel bad for those inside the zone in Renton and Federal Way there were sold a train with ST3 only to have the plans change, putting the possibility in doubt.
It works, I was able to apply for it and my status is "submitted." I have a couple coworkers that jumped on it the first day and actually already got a exemption letter that they've now forwarded on to HR at my job. Apparently you don't need to submit any documents so I'm not sure if this exemption is just a "we trust you" type of thing, or if they can see on some state back end insurance policies that residents have with agents authorized to write policies in WA...

I'm kinda hoping I'll have a chance to submit a document because I currently have two policies (one a pure LTC plan and the other a Universal Life with a rider). I really want the Universal Life to count but of course there is some wiggle room from the requirements WA listed and until I get a clear exemption I'm not sure the policy is valid or not. To me a policy with a death benefit, LTC coverage, and a cash value if I cancel it when I retire is WAY better than a pure LTC plan that wouldn't pay a penny to me if I never used LTC.

Also, while this has a clear exemption, what's stopping people from cancelling their personal plans in a year or two? That was more of what my comment was based on about suggesting the above poster probably wouldn't be paying into the LTC plan....