Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently you don't need to submit any documents so I'm not sure if this exemption is just a "we trust you" type of thing, or if they can see on some state back end insurance policies that residents have with agents authorized to write policies in WA...
Correct, this is an attestation that you have the insurance required. Kind of like you attest that your primary address is in Plain, WA, not Seattle, WA. You can say it, but they reserve the right to audit it, and there are criminal penalties if you lie. But like the IRS, it's highly unlikely you get audited. It's no different than car insurance either- the state doesn't audit you until you get pulled over or buy a new vehicle.

I'm kinda hoping I'll have a chance to submit a document because I currently have two policies (one a pure LTC plan and the other a Universal Life with a rider).
Just because you submit a doc doesn't mean it would be looked at to make sure it meets the definition. It would likely just be stored and used as additional evidence if they ever thought you committed perjury.

Also, while this has a clear exemption, what's stopping people from cancelling their personal plans in a year or two? That was more of what my comment was based on about suggesting the above poster probably wouldn't be paying into the LTC plan....
What, you aren't canceling on Nov 1st like everyone else? The exemption is clear- you attest that you purchased LTC as defined in RCW 48.83.020 before Nov 1st. That's it. Not that you are keeping it. The law doesn't require you to keep it. Why would you if you don't want it?

Again, all totally legal and the way the law was written. Totally unlike calling your vacation cabin a primary residence, in direct contravention to "This does not include secondary or vacation homes where a vehicle is garaged or used." The LTC has a clear opt-out path defined. The only opt out path for the RTA is moving your true and legal permanent residence outside of the RTA zone.

I hate that WA essentially can pull a card out whenever then and say "we reviewed your policy and it doesn't actually qualify as long term care" even if it's five years down the road or something. I would like them to say yes it does, or no it doesn't. My agent says he "believes it will qualify" and a rep from WA answered a question saying "it should qualify." I want "it does," not something left open ended that well maybe it actually doesn't.

I'll 100% be cancelling the pure LTC only policy I have because I don't want it. I have a 401k, a pension, and I don't have children. If I end up having to sell my assets for end of life LTC so be it.

I might keep the Universal Life policy since that would have a cash option when I cancel. Doing the math on that, it's running me like $59/mo or something by the time I plan to retire if I cancel and pull the guaranteed cash value. If I use their non-guaranteed "illustrated values" then it'll have cost me $14/mo.

That's probably worth keeping.

So much whining about taxes from (a few) people who can afford a Tesla. It always amazes me how people gripe so much, and have so little understanding of what the taxes do provide.

Pay unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar…

I rarely open threads like this but saw a name or two I trust commenting. I’ll go back to the other end of the bar now.

I noticed that when I got my VIN, Tesla increased the RTA fee to be 1.1% of the current MSRP rather than the cost when ordering. However, my understanding is that DoL is using a fixed MSRP value for each model year, which is what should be used for the RTA calc.

Has anyone gotten this adjusted by Tesla based on a MSRP value that DoL has on record?