Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would make it technically, $366 ($365.75 rounded up to the nearest dollar). I'm hoping someone who gets their renewal notice soon showing that amount for the RTA line item. So far, we have one example where someone paid $385 initially during delivery, then shot up to over $600 for their first renewal.

Yeah based on the one you posted, I’m guessing we are all paying $600+ Just for the RTA the first time we renew. Ugh.

It should be easy to dispute if you have a purchase agreement showing the base price as $35. For the person that initially paid 385 and then 600 on renewal, they really should dispute the higher amount since they must have a purchase agreement at $35k for which the initial $385 was based. Should be an easy win.

For others with a higher base, I assume it will be much harder to dispute. If there are enough people that get it set at 35k, then that might become the de facto standard.

It should be easy to dispute if you have a purchase agreement showing the base price as $35. For the person that initially paid 385 and then 600 on renewal, they really should dispute the higher amount since they must have a purchase agreement at $35k for which the initial $385 was based. Should be an easy win.

For others with a higher base, I assume it will be much harder to dispute. If there are enough people that get it set at 35k, then that might become the de facto standard.

Would be nice but isn’t that effectively cheating the system as it was designed? Isn’t the tax 1.1% of the depreciated value of the car? Clearly we spent $49,000-80,000 on this car, not $35k. Is the tax based on the base model or the actual price of the cars?

Would be nice but isn’t that effectively cheating the system as it was designed? Isn’t the tax 1.1% of the depreciated value of the car? Clearly we spent $49,000-80,000 on this car, not $35k. Is the tax based on the base model or the actual price of the cars?
So the RCW for the tax says that it's based on the MSRP of the car on a depreciation schedule. However, it refers to the definition of MSRP as defined in a another RCW regarding trailers. And in that definition, it very clearly says that it's based on the base model, not counting for any upgrades.

Tesla is selling this car as a "Model 3". The "Model 3" base price is $35,000. It is an option (even though it's mandatory right now) to get the $9k LR. It's also an option to get the Premium Interior at $5k. And it's also an option to change the paint color, or the wheels. So, you are supposed to be taxed on $35,000 on a depreciation schedule. In my MVPA, it clearly shows $35k for the Model 3, and then it says Long Range Dual Motor is $18k (because it was when AWD was $4k, and I assume it is adding $5k for the PUP). And the RTA tax they gave me is indeed based on $35k.

Go to https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/extdriveses/NoLogon/_/, and in the lower-right corner, click "Start" and walk through it. Now, here's the tricky part. When you walk through, if you tell it you don't have a VIN and it prompts you for information... If you choose 2017 for the car year, and choose Tesla Model 3, it will give you two sub-choices: "Standard" with a price of $35k, and "Long Range" with a price of $44k. For 2018, though, it only shows "4dr Standard", which is says is a RWD.

So they may still be working through the kinks. It seems based on the reading of the law that $35k is correct, because Tesla sells a "Model 3" and everything else are options...

So the RCW for the tax says that it's based on the MSRP of the car on a depreciation schedule. However, it refers to the definition of MSRP as defined in a another RCW regarding trailers. And in that definition, it very clearly says that it's based on the base model, not counting for any upgrades.

Tesla is selling this car as a "Model 3". The "Model 3" base price is $35,000. It is an option (even though it's mandatory right now) to get the $9k LR. It's also an option to get the Premium Interior at $5k. And it's also an option to change the paint color, or the wheels. So, you are supposed to be taxed on $35,000 on a depreciation schedule. In my MVPA, it clearly shows $35k for the Model 3, and then it says Long Range Dual Motor is $18k (because it was when AWD was $4k, and I assume it is adding $5k for the PUP). And the RTA tax they gave me is indeed based on $35k.

Go to https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/extdriveses/NoLogon/_/, and in the lower-right corner, click "Start" and walk through it. Now, here's the tricky part. When you walk through, if you tell it you don't have a VIN and it prompts you for information... If you choose 2017 for the car year, and choose Tesla Model 3, it will give you two sub-choices: "Standard" with a price of $35k, and "Long Range" with a price of $44k. For 2018, though, it only shows "4dr Standard", which is says is a RWD.

So they may still be working through the kinks. It seems based on the reading of the law that $35k is correct, because Tesla sells a "Model 3" and everything else are options...

Great info. Thanks. Let’s hope it plays out right then!

Ummm I just did the calculator on the dol website and it showed the msrp as $35,000 but estimated the RTA tax as $117.81. Clearly that isn’t right.

Has anyone else has to renew their tabs recently? I’m still several months away but we just got our renewal for our CRV and the RTA is $314. Ugh.

I've received my final payment details twice now (because I originally ordered mid-range and then switched to AWD). When I received the final payment info for the mid-range RWD the RTA county fee was shown as $385. Now that the payment has been updated to reflect the AWD order, the RTA county fee has updated to $583.

I'm not familiar with how this all works, but I do know that I live in an unincorporated part of King county which is outside of the sound transit zone and I thought we did not need to pay the RTA tax. Is this "RTA county fee" something different?

I've received my final payment details twice now (because I originally ordered mid-range and then switched to AWD). When I received the final payment info for the mid-range RWD the RTA county fee was shown as $385. Now that the payment has been updated to reflect the AWD order, the RTA county fee has updated to $583.

I'm not familiar with how this all works, but I do know that I live in an unincorporated part of King county which is outside of the sound transit zone and I thought we did not need to pay the RTA tax. Is this "RTA county fee" something different?

As I understand it, you shouldn’t pay the RTA tax but you might check the DOL website for more details.

As I understand it, you shouldn’t pay the RTA tax but you might check the DOL website for more details.

Thanks. I did the DOL estimate and it said something along the lines of our zip code being on the border so they couldn't give a definitive estimate. The Sound Transit site confirms we are 0.6 miles outside of the RTA zone, so I think I should be able to get this RTA county fee removed.

Reactions: ChrisH
Small update - after a bit of back and forth, I finally got an email from my delivery adviser (first email ever!! never heard from him prior to delivery) and he was able to check with the relevant team to confirm that I should NOT have been charged RTA tax. He said that once the registration is done, there is a team at Tesla who will review what the DOL charged vs. what we paid and they will refund the difference within 4-6 weeks after registration. I'll see how that goes...

Has anyone else paid the RTA MVET that does not live inside the RTA boundary? And if so, were you able to get a refund?

We took delivery of our M3 at the beginning of October, and we live outside the RTA district. I was told at delivery that we would receive a refund for overpayment, since we live outside the district. I let 45 business days go by before I starting calling to find out why we haven't received our refund, only to be told that they are working on it. Today when I called, I was told the RTA is based on purchase location, not registration address. I looked at the registration paperwork, and it does not indicate that Tesla paid the RTA tax to the DOL.